Hacking R4i-sdhc 3DS not working after update

proto13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long time lurker, first time poster here, hoping I can get some insight.

I noticed a new update was available for the 3DS but decided to wait until the R4i came out with a compatibility fix.

So, I check the official site today and see this: Important: R4i-sdhc 3DS support 3DS V4.2.0-9 perfectly. Please download V1.59b kernel. [2012-06-30] So, I update my 3DS firmware to 4.2.0-9 as well as download the newest firmware compatibility patch from www.r4i-sdhc.com (manufacturer of my flash cart) and drag and drop the files onto my mini SD card as I did with so many updates before. Next I boot up my R4i only to get this:" An error has occurred" :(

I've retraced my steps many times. I've even went as far as to thoroughly format the card in case there was some remaining mojo left behind somehow by the previous update. No dice. It does, however, work great on my DSi.

I'm no noob when it comes to this stuff but I'm stumped and seeing as how I've heard nothing but success concerning the firmware fix, I am about to conclude I've made a stupid somewhere along the way. If anyone has any tips/ideas/advice concerning getting my 3DS and flash cart back on talking terms I would really appreciate it.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The kernel (what you downloaded/updated here) won't do anything, other than compatibility fixes. That's a problem on your flashcart's website being a little misleading. What you actually have to do to update is detailed here (it comes from the official website).

Since your cart still works on your dsi, you can do the above steps on your dsi and it should, then, work on your updated 3ds.

Reactions: 1 person

proto13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I didn't do that! So simple, I love you guys! BRB gonna go try it, I'm sure it'll work.

proto13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, it worked! I told you it would be something simple. I really apprecite the quick and expert help guys. I will sing always of your heroic deeds! :bow:
But seriously guys, thanks. :)

Reactions: 1 person

kurt6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I hope somebody can help me out here.
As predicted, my R4 3DS card does not work after Nintendo 3DS 4.2.0 update. Luckily I still have my trusty DS Lite and I read that I can do the latest firmware update for my 3DS card by doing the upgrade through DS Lite. The problem is,
after 2 hours I still not managed to do that. Can someone would please give me a tutorial how to do that?
Things I have:
3DS console
DS Lite console
R4 3DS card
R4 card
2GB and 8GB memory card
I've been trying to copy the latest 3DS kernel (1.59b) and working DS Wood kernel on my 2GB card (can forget 8GB memory card as it's not compatible with R4 card) but there is no upgrade option (with 3 icons) as seen some of the photos, my menu is 'list' type on wooden style background so I can not do this that way. I also tried to use my R4 3DS card on my DS Lite but it says 'Fake card' for some reason...
So any help would be much appreciated as I've run out of ideas. Thanks.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I hope somebody can help me out here.
As predicted, my R4 3DS card does not work after Nintendo 3DS 4.2.0 update. Luckily I still have my trusty DS Lite and I read that I can do the latest firmware update for my 3DS card by doing the upgrade through DS Lite. The problem is,
after 2 hours I still not managed to do that. Can someone would please give me a tutorial how to do that?
Things I have:
3DS console
DS Lite console
R4 3DS card
R4 card
2GB and 8GB memory card
I've been trying to copy the latest 3DS kernel (1.59b) and working DS Wood kernel on my 2GB card (can forget 8GB memory card as it's not compatible with R4 card) but there is no upgrade option (with 3 icons) as seen some of the photos, my menu is 'list' type on wooden style background so I can not do this that way. I also tried to use my R4 3DS card on my DS Lite but it says 'Fake card' for some reason...
So any help would be much appreciated as I've run out of ideas. Thanks.
Firstly, you should note that your card IS NOT the same card as his, so following these instructions won't work.

Secondly, I need to know what the site at the bottom of your flash card says in order to help.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It says www.r4i-gold.com at the bottom of my R4 3DS card, the card itself is yellow if it helps.
Alright, go here and download both the kernel and the firmware update. Reformat your SD card, then place everything on the root of your SD card. Try updating now, and then test the card on your 3DS.

kurt6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, thanks for guick reply. Did not work. When I copy the files on my r4 3DS card, i'm stuck with red folder with question mark in it and with r4 card i'm stuck to loading screen.

HyperShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
Thanks, I am on the right track at least. Managed to update via my DS Lite by downloading from here: http://www.r4i-gold....2/0115/282.html and the r4 3ds card works now on my DS Lite but still does not work on my 3DS console (when tried with latest wood 1.59b kernel, still saying - Power off, etc.)

I have a very similar problem to yours. Using a DS lite too. What happened when you tried to updat the card in the ds lite? It told me the cart is already updated, no need to update. I'm really starting to regret getting r4 gold. There's just no clear instructions.

kurt6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well on mine it did the update without any problems, when i tried to do that again is said that it's already updated. Be sure that you use the exact kernel/firmware specific to your card as they come in so many different variants...the card still does not work on my 3ds though...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1