Hacking R4i Save Dongle compatible with Sky3DS?

Nuxx20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Sky3DS emulates a real cart save, and R4i backups real cart saves, would it be right to assume that R4i Saves are compatible with Sky3DS? Just want to make sure before I go ahead and buy the dongle.
I'm planning to download some saves from the R4i website.

Thanks!

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Since Sky3DS emulates a real cart save, and R4i backups real cart saves, would it be right to assume that R4i Saves are compatible with Sky3DS? Just want to make sure before I go ahead and buy the dongle.
I'm planning to download some saves from the R4i website.

Thanks!
Only save with crypto version 1.0 will be compatible. If you have 3ds with firmware 9.2 or below, you don't need the dongle, just use gateway launcher to backup/restore save data on the retail card.

Nuxx20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only save with crypto version 1.0 will be compatible. If you have 3ds with firmware 9.2 or below, you don't need the dongle, just use gateway launcher to backup/restore save data
Any chance you could guide me through the process?

julian20

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why you want a sky and a adapter. Use safedatafiller (a applicarion(cia)(googleisyourfriend)) to import export safes from gateway and other cia. Use the guide here in gbatemp(search feature is your friend) to do it. And search in google for safes with safedatafiller

Nuxx20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why you want a sky and a adapter. Use safedatafiller (a applicarion(cia)(googleisyourfriend)) to import export safes from gateway and other cia. Use the guide here in gbatemp(search feature is your friend) to do it. And search in google for safes with safedatafiller

I wanna use the save on my N3DS XL 9.0 and sky3ds

Any chance you could describe the steps in detail? Thanks a lot!

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Only save with crypto version 1.0 will be compatible. If you have 3ds with firmware 9.2 or below, you don't need the dongle, just use gateway launcher to backup/restore save data
Don't spread wrong information. I have tested that GW launcher can't dump Sky3DS save.

Details:
Dumping Sky3DS ROM - OK but ultra slow
Dumping Sky3DS save - 3DS freezes (no response during at least 1 hour)
Restoring Sky3DS save - Write save chip error

-----------

For Sky3DS save importing, please use official or 3rd-party DiskWriter to export the save, and then inject converted .ZAV save with binary editors.

The .ZAV save must match for a .3DZ ROM with Sky3DS Template's header.
If you want to use a .ZAV save with custom ROM header, you should edit Sky3DS Template with official or 3rd-party Template Editor.

If you don't have .ZAV save, you should convert your .SAV save into it.
To convert a header-less .SAV save into a header-required .ZAV save, you should have both a GW-usable console and a GW/MT. Otherwise you can't do any conversion.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You did give a "Dump Sky3DS save by GW launcher" suggestion which had been tested unavailable.

Read first two posts carefully and you'll get what I meant.

MT converter is not needed when you have properly filled header in SkyTemplate to convert EEPROM dump to sky3ds save, I already posted a converter in another thread. Gateway save should work too, but EEPROM density must be set to 512k regardless of the original, 6.x encryption titles saved from 4.x gateway 3ds won't work.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Read first two posts carefully and you'll get what I meant.

MT converter is not needed when you have properly filled header in SkyTemplate to convert EEPROM dump to sky3ds save, I already posted a converter in another thread. Gateway save should work too, but EEPROM density must be set to 512k regardless of the original, 6.x encryption titles saved from 4.x gateway 3ds won't work.
That's ridiculous. It FREEZES on reading Sky3DS's EEPROM before all above you imagined. How can it go through the 2nd step? LOL

The Lukas guy's work is binary injecting save into DISKWRITER DUMPED save, not GW LAUNCHER DUMPED save, isn't it?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
MelonGx once again - it is a dumb idea to use a dongle with the sky, while you have a duskwriter!
Dongle is needed to transfer saves from the retail gamecard, but gateway launcher can do the same on 3ds with fw 9.2 or below. There are plenty of save dumps on R4i site, none of them with save crypto above 1.x will ever work, because save data in that case is cyphered with unique cardID, EEPROM dump is only done as is the same way by Gateway launcher and dongle. While Sky3ds have an additional header before EEPROM dump data which includes CardID, so Sky3ds just emulates a real card unique ID and have no problems with retail saves at all.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
MelonGx oncecagain - it us a dumb idea to use a dongle with the sky, while you have a duskwriter!
Dongle is needed to transfer saves from the retail ganecard, but gateway launcher can do the same on 3ds with fw 9.2 or below. There are plenty of save demos on R4i site, none of them with save crypto above 1.x will ever work because save data is that case is cyphered with unique cardID, EEPROM dump is only done as is the same way by Gateway launcher and dongle.
I doubt that your English is worse than me.
I have never said it's Save Dongle's business.
I only said you MISLEADED TC to use GW LAUNCHER to dump/restore Sky3DS saves.
You're expressing what you imagined that GW Launcher would be able to do.
But I just told you I had tested that FAILED in hardware.

The only correct solution is NEITHER Save Dongle dumping, NOR YOUR GW Launcher dumping, but Binary Injecting saves into DiskWriter-Dumped save.
It's a PC work, but none of SaveDongle & Launcher's business.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
MelonGx I never said sky saves can be dumped with the dongle, just saying it is a wrong idea! ;) Read the first post, R4i saves from the website was planned to use with the sky. In that scenario the dongle is not needed at all and only a few saves will ever work.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
MelonGx I never said sky saves can be dumped with the dongle, just saying it is a wrong idea! ;) Read the first post, R4i saves from the website was planned to use with the sky. In that scenario the dongle is not needed at all and only a few saves will ever work.
YOU DID SAID IT'S OK TO BE DUMPED BY GW LAUNCHER, WHICH IS A MISLEAD.

BTW, are you talking to yourself only?
I have said I never talked about SaveDongle. But you insist on imagining I was saying about SaveDongle.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Scrap that, all the saves on their website are down anyway
Save dongle is only suitable to save/restore retail ganecard and transferring retail save of 1.0 save crypto only. All of the above can be done with gateway launcher on 3ds with fw 9.2 or below as well as getting a card ID to transfer save data with any crypto version.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Scrap that, all the saves on their website are down anyway
Who cares? What Save Dongle dumped is similar to what GW Launcher dumps.
Since I can restore a .3DZ save with Both SaveDongle and GW Launcher (on some early game carts), if someone wants saves to be used on SaveDongle, just go Filetrip, drag the saves, do some .3DS-sav to .3DZ-sav conversions, and rename the final file into .bin.

The problem is that duke_srg imagined GW Launcher could dump/restore Sky3DS save, I tested it couldn't, but duke_srg avoided to recognize this fact and continued saying to himself, which could mislead TC and more people.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
MelonGx all I said about restoring/saving save data with the dongle is related to retail card. I never said it can dump save directly from Sky3DS. I repeated it several times it is useless. ( while yes, I also tried dongle with Sky3DS with no success, most probably that is because 3ds uses custom 4-bit transfer mode but dongle uses standard mode which have no emulation on Sky3DS). So there is nothing to dispute really ;). I'll edit my first reply to mention retail card directly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]