Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DSGamer64 said:
raulpica said:
lilsypha said:
This is the stupidest news I've read all day, and it's only 7am! M3's core product is already an excellent one, and R4 is and has become the butt of all flashcart jokes. Considering that there are already tonnes of R4 clones on the market, how on Earth do they intend their 'official' R4 to stand above the rest? How do they intend to escape the wrath of Nintendo, who shut the original R4 team down in the first place?

What a dingbat move, the R4 should just die already. Unless of course M3 and R4 were always hooked together. (M3 Simply was an R4 clone after all.) There are way too many flashcart choices with too little to separate them from one another anymore.

I dunno M3 (R4?) team, I dunno.
This.

If this is from Team M3, I've just lost every respect I had for them. R4 is now a real joke brand, and the idea of picking up it and delaying the M3 Zero just for that is a pityful attempt to cash on the R4 name just like those Chinese R4 bootleggers.

And here goes the good name of the M3 team
gbasp.gif
I find it rather ironic that it's people like you who slag the R4 yet clearly are admitting that there is a problem with the numerous clones. The only people who have ruined the R4 name are those Chinese commie bastards who are making fake knock offs and the websites that sell them in the first place, the R4 was otherwise always a good card and having M3 taking over is probably a good thing so they can try and fix the issues with the fake R4 counterfeit market by distributing the R4 products as a legitimate manufacturer.
Wat?

The R4 was ruined by the R4 Team itself. They could've continued the support, instead they ran with the money. And no "Nintendo was on them!". They could've still supported it under another name.

And the R4 was a good card for its time. No SDHC support nor DSi support make it obsolete nowadays. Even with a better firmware, it'd still have been a old card.

I highly doubt that they will keep up with 3 different models. It's unprofessional to drop so many products on the market at the same time. They should concentrate on a single card, and make THAT ONLY AND SINGLE card the best on the market, instead of flooding it with iTouchDS2 (as that's what they'll probably be) clones branded with "R4" on them just to sell more.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
do you expect us to believe that this "R4 by M3" will be sold like pancakes? WTF?!! I hate the R4 now and always like the new M3i Zero. Now, Im now thinking if I should ever buy the M3i Zero because of their release of 3 new R4s and the R4i RTS

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I think, that in a way, this is a terrible idea. taking a flashcart that has been torn apart by clones, fakes, and a crappy present-day rep and trying to revive it in not 1- but 3 different incarnations.

But on the other hand, it's a brilliant idea- taking back control of the most popular, commonplace, commercialized flashcarts in the industry, putting the rightful manufacturer back in charge.

I believe the reason that the M3 team abandoned the R4 to begin with was because of the fake cards that were coming out... Remember when they were talking about how people were getting bricks for putting the OFirmware on the fake carts?

What company would actually want to deal with defects and issues that aren't actually their fault?

Also, the name hasn't been "tarnished", sure, R4 is a joke to us educated Flash Cart users, with all the 300+ different clones and fakes there are, but to those new to the scene (including myself just a few years ago) the R4 was the FIRST card they heard of, and is the most recognizable name in the world of FCs.

I think that it's a poor choice to release 3 different R4s... but I'm assuming that it's for different needs- the prices will most likely reflect that.

the SDHC is for DS users, and will most likely be the cheapest.

the R4i will be a little bit more expensive, as will the RTS.

Why would you pay more for features you don't need? ex. if you have a lite, but want an official R4, and have to pay 25$ for an R4i when you don't need the "i" feature... Wouldn't you rather pay 20$ for a "normal" SDHC R4?

I'm sure the M3 team knows what they are doing.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
DSGamer64 said:
raulpica said:
lilsypha said:
This is the stupidest news I've read all day, and it's only 7am! M3's core product is already an excellent one, and R4 is and has become the butt of all flashcart jokes. Considering that there are already tonnes of R4 clones on the market, how on Earth do they intend their 'official' R4 to stand above the rest? How do they intend to escape the wrath of Nintendo, who shut the original R4 team down in the first place?

What a dingbat move, the R4 should just die already. Unless of course M3 and R4 were always hooked together. (M3 Simply was an R4 clone after all.) There are way too many flashcart choices with too little to separate them from one another anymore.

I dunno M3 (R4?) team, I dunno.
This.

If this is from Team M3, I've just lost every respect I had for them. R4 is now a real joke brand, and the idea of picking up it and delaying the M3 Zero just for that is a pityful attempt to cash on the R4 name just like those Chinese R4 bootleggers.

And here goes the good name of the M3 team
gbasp.gif
I find it rather ironic that it's people like you who slag the R4 yet clearly are admitting that there is a problem with the numerous clones. The only people who have ruined the R4 name are those Chinese commie bastards who are making fake knock offs and the websites that sell them in the first place, the R4 was otherwise always a good card and having M3 taking over is probably a good thing so they can try and fix the issues with the fake R4 counterfeit market by distributing the R4 products as a legitimate manufacturer.
Wat?

The R4 was ruined by the R4 Team itself. They could've continued the support, instead they ran with the money. And no "Nintendo was on them!". They could've still supported it under another name.

And the R4 was a good card for its time. No SDHC support nor DSi support make it obsolete nowadays. Even with a better firmware, it'd still have been a old card.

I highly doubt that they will keep up with 3 different models. It's unprofessional to drop so many products on the market at the same time. They should concentrate on a single card, and make THAT ONLY AND SINGLE card the best on the market, instead of flooding it with iTouchDS2 (as that's what they'll probably be) clones branded with "R4" on them just to sell more.
Odds are the old R4 support will eventually stop, M3 won't spend that many resources on multiple firmwares and are most likely going to focus all development on the R4i RTS and M3i Zero primarily and firmware on the R4i RTS will be compatible with the R4i SDHC card. I know between the G6, R4i SDHC RTS and M3i Zero it will be tough to create firmware.

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shame time is wasting doing this than an M3i Zero!

Should have had a different name it looks exactly like all the other clones.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
I think, that in a way, this is a terrible idea. taking a flashcart that has been torn apart by clones, fakes, and a crappy present-day rep and trying to revive it in not 1- but 3 different incarnations.

But on the other hand, it's a brilliant idea- taking back control of the most popular, commonplace, commercialized flashcarts in the industry, putting the rightful manufacturer back in charge.

I believe the reason that the M3 team abandoned the R4 to begin with was because of the fake cards that were coming out... Remember when they were talking about how people were getting bricks for putting the OFirmware on the fake carts?

What company would actually want to deal with defects and issues that aren't actually their fault?

Also, the name hasn't been "tarnished", sure, R4 is a joke to us educated Flash Cart users, with all the 300+ different clones and fakes there are, but to those new to the scene (including myself just a few years ago) the R4 was the FIRST card they heard of, and is the most recognizable name in the world of FCs.

I think that it's a poor choice to release 3 different R4s... but I'm assuming that it's for different needs- the prices will most likely reflect that.

the SDHC is for DS users, and will most likely be the cheapest.

the R4i will be a little bit more expensive, as will the RTS.

Why would you pay more for features you don't need? ex. if you have a lite, but want an official R4, and have to pay 25$ for an R4i when you don't need the "i" feature... Wouldn't you rather pay 20$ for a "normal" SDHC R4?

I'm sure the M3 team knows what they are doing.

Oh, right... I forgot to mention the M3 Zero.

I find it dissapointing that it was delayed... I was going to buy one...

But truth be told, despite my arguement, I am kinda losing hope in the M3 team. That's why I bought an Acekard 2i instead of the itouch...

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hahaha what a joke. Just because the R4 is bought a lot by noobs, they pick up the name R4 and make another clone.
I wonder how should noobs compare the M3 ones vs the many fake/cloned ones ?
This would lead to the assumption R4 cards come from M3 team, but the clone is not working so M3 products must be s..t.
I for one wont buy the M3 zero. I find the producs of the M3 team so dissapointing and now they do R4 again.
Hopeless Team that is only looking for money and angry coders but dont do much developing.

Everyone should start avoiding em at any costs.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I tried the firmware on an original (as in not a fake or clone) R4. Doesn't work. Just sits at "Loading...".

To me, that is instant fail since it just means it's yet another R4 clone/fake (and 3 of them, no less) with yet another firmware to confuse noobs who sucker for buying an "R4" labeled product and will just lead to even more people whining that their R4(whatever) is stuck at "Loading..." here on GBAtemp.
fp.gif

It's a failing failure of fail-hood.

Big Kong Boss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Rayder

Oh...dear god. So, 3 different firmwares for these R4 clones to deal with. What the flying fuck is M3 thinking?

Ok, but still, 3 lines of R4 & the M3i Zero (chance of getting one). That's still a lot to take care of.

sharksfan19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it is 1.30 pm when i read this and WOW another R4 card (smacks head on desk) the first question that went to my mind was why would M3 support a new R4 card when they are working on the M3 zero (sry if i got the name wrong) that has every one puped about it and they put it on delay for this COMAN R4's the joke of flash cards now M3's gona be kicking them selves in a couple of weeks

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seemed to be only the one firmware listed in their download section, in three different languages. It's just that it doesn't work on a real, actual and true R4DS.

Personally, I don't really care about R4 anything, but I have my friend's two kids to hook up games for and they have R4's (real ones) and I test this stuff on their behalf because they don't have access to the internet. I'll just go back to that 1.21FW (from whoever) and the YSmenu combo for them. Meanwhile, I'll keep using my CycloDS and continue telling them they need to upgrade to a new cart......however fruitless that may be.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
lilsypha said:
What a dingbat move, the R4 should just die already.
Dingbat move? Do you realise how many people use the term "R4" to refer to a flashcart. In some areas that is all people want (hence the massive amount of clones - they don't do it for fun you know).

The company behind this realise how much money is in it for them if they use the R4 name, and are risking a court injunction from Nintendo to cash in on it.

EDIT: I see ozmods has already said the same thing. Oh well...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mercluke said:
guess normmatt was right about r4 and m3 being the same company...
probably similar to how itouch isn't branded with m3 name...

Welcome to LAST DECADE! just about everyone knows that!

hence the firmware being interchangeable with patches and the boards virtually identical!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn