r4i gold vs acekard 2i

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kisamesama, Aug 30, 2012.

Aug 30, 2012

r4i gold vs acekard 2i by kisamesama at 4:48 PM (12,018 Views / 0 Likes) 47 replies

1. kisamesama
    OP

Member kisamesama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    searching for a budget flashcard to play some ds backups.... currently what flashcard is better? reading some reviews about flashcards and these 2 cards seem to be the most popular.. or do you have other better suggestions? thx

2. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    Supercard DSTwo is the Best

R4ids.cn R4i Gold
    &
    Acekard 2i
    joint second but the gold pulling ahead

3. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    DSTwo is a bit too expensive for me... apart from gba emulation, how is it better than the other 2?

4. WendelChaves

Newcomer WendelChaves Newbie

Well, I love my acekard, but I must say that waiting for the updates is kind of painful, as I'm itching to play with friends all over the world but the updates take so long to be released I regret not having bought the DSTwo

5. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    R4i Gold http://www.r4ids.cn/ is my choice because of the faster Wood firmware updates.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DSTwo's anti-piracy is the best, it often plays games without needing any update, while other carts need to wait a few days or weeks for an update. The DSTwo also has real-time save (save/load state), the ability to toggle cheats on and off while in-game (and the ability to create simple cheats via value searching and locking in-game), it's got slow-motion and in-game text file reading, and more.

I don't know where everybody keeps getting the idea that the DSTwo is just GBA emulation... I mean we have an official review on it here and everything.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/232281-supercard-dstwo-review/

7. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    i think i will go with the r4i gold... is this site good? http://www.oz3ds.com...p?id_product=28 is it a genuine one??

edit: just realised they don't accept paypal... anyone can recommend a store with paypal and free international shipping plz

8. Rydian

United States
    Yeah that looks like the right product.

Paypal's a hard find nowadays, since paypal's been closing the accounts of stores that sell flash carts.

This site appears to still have paypak.
    http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/dsi_r4i_gold_slot-1_flashcard_type_d__www_r4ids_cn__3ds_1_4_4_compatible_wood_3ds.html

9. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    ah ok thx! so this site is trustworthy? (i mean it's very cheap there lol $11 unlike other sites which are around $18-$20)

10. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I have ordered from them before and have to say their services are wonderful!
    Great customer services and really fast shipping time.

11. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    ok thx .. will order then :) thx!!

12. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You'll need a DS Lite/Phat if you want to update the R4i Gold 3DS. Also, when I updated mine, it required another flashcart (my Acekard 2i) to run the update on. After I ran the update, I had to switch to the R4i Gold 3DS to complete the update.

Someone mentioned that DSTWO can update by itself. Can someone else confirm this? A dstwo would be cheaper than getting a DSLite and a 2nd flashcart.

13. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/download.htm

Step 4: Find a DS console (NDS\DS\DSLite\DSi\3DS) which can run this EOS system, if you have the latest version console can not run EOS system, sorry, you have to find one.

-another world

14. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I see. So you do need another DS. Thanks.

15. Rydian

United States
    You only need to do the update swap thing if your DSi/3DS is updated further than the R4i Gold. Most flash carts come pre-updated nowadays from the shop.

The DSTwo can sometimes update itself without having to boot and flash.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/290190-the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo/

EDIT: This is done by renaming the update to have a b on the end of the filename (before the extension) and waiting ~30 seconds for the DSTwo to read and apply the file... but this only works sometimes. I only have a DSi so I haven't tested it myself.

16. tranfeer

Member tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    In fact, you can also update your r4i gold 3ds with your NDSi &3DS on condition that you update your card before updating your console.

17. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    The DSTWO error occured update function always worked for me.

18. totalnoob617

Banned totalnoob617 Banned

United States
    if there are any more r4i threads created in this section , GBAtemp is going to have to change it from 3ds hacking and homebrew to r4i :P
    but not like there is anything else happening

19. kisamesama
    OP

United States
    ok thx! i got scared as i thought i would need a ds to update ... i already ordered the r4i gold

20. jweaver

Newcomer jweaver Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I am more than happy with my Acekard and until now have only ever used it in a DS XL.. I HAD no intention of using it in the 3DS or 3DS XL, but I would like to try as I am curious to see whether the 3DS XL could be used for everything.

I am now getting fed up of waiting and am tempted to buy something (cheap) that will work, just so that I can try out the 3DS XLs capabilities and decide whether I want to keep my DS XL or not.

Is the R4i the best card to go for, considering I am not interested in any advanced features that the DSTWO offers?

Jon