Hacking R4i Gold V1.4 Firmware/Kernel help

josking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, normally, I usually don't have problems with the latest gadgets and all. But this thing's got me all confused.

First, after my big bro & his GF destroyed my EDGE and DS. I got the DS repaired and also bought an R4i Gold for a total of about $25 (1250 PHP).

So, yeah. I've seen a lot of kernel, firmware or whatever you call them things for R4i Gold. But none of them work. It'll only show a white screen with an SD card with "Menu?" on it.

So I finally tried the link that was on the box, and downloaded the latest firmware there, which worked. Which was this:
Removed it, turns out, that link also had ROMs. Sorry.

I have R4i Gold v1.4

Now for my questions:
1. Is the best & latest firmware for my v1.4 just located there? Or is there an more recent one? Because, I can't play Eternal Odyssey III and My Sims Racing, and it sucks if I wanna play Pokemon BW in the future.
frown.gif
I miss my EDGE, grr.
2. I downloaded PPSEDS, and back with my EDGE, I only clicked it and it'll load. Now, I'd have to use the included HomebrewMenu.nds to make PPSEDS work. Is there a fix for this?
3. I believe this R4i Gold of mine is a clone of DSTT? Or not.
4. What's the best flashcart? I might consider buying a new one, next weekend. Also, I'm thinking of a flashcart that can support EDGE/R4i Gold saves so that I won't bother to convert them.

Thanks in advance !
biggrin.gif
Hopefully, someone would relieve my headache.
frown.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To sum it up, R4i Gold is not a good flashcart.

1. Yes, that is the latest firmware for R4i
2. Afraid not
3. Don't know, probably Acekard clone

If you want a cheap flashcart, get Acekard 2i ---> Click me
If you want a luxurious flashcart, get SuperCard DS2 ---> Click me

If you have DSi, make sure to flash Acekard 2i with DS Lite/DS Phat or pay extra USD $2 to let ShopTemp flash it for you.

Both cart will work with EDGE/R4i saves.

josking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it's not a good one, but I didn't have a choice. Grrr, shouldn't have lent it to my bro.
closedeyes.gif

So I can't play my new games yet, huh.
frown.gif

Well it's firmware looks like, it has "R4iMenu"folder. It doesn't have DS_MENU.NDS like what others have. It only has R4.dat. So I wonder what this flashcart cloned.
mellow.gif

Also, what's the newest moonshell 2 that can work with this? I tried the ones on filetrip, and it gives me an error.
frown.gif

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Moonshell-try reformatting

It might be a DSTT clone if the R4iMenu folder has extinfo infolib and savlib (at least one should be them)

If it is,try YSMenu...

or if its an R4 clone...maybe WAIO would work

Also if I were you,take the website link off(it got roms)

As for new cards...if you can do online shopping,AK2i or SCDS2(if you have money) would be the best...

or go to greenhills and find an AK2i or EZ5i

josking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I'll try to go this Saturday.
biggrin.gif
Which is better between the two you gave me? And also, where in GH? It's a really big place.
ohmy.gif

dancubs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
josking said:
Alright, I'll try to go this Saturday.
biggrin.gif
Which is better between the two you gave me? And also, where in GH? It's a really big place.
ohmy.gif

It's easier to find Acekard2i's in the PH. You can find em in the 2nd floor, where the videogame stalls are. That's where I saw them. Personally though, I bought mine in Market Market at Global City, Taguig. 4th Floor, a shop called i4tech. They go for 1250. Much better cart that the r4i gold.

If you really want the SCDS2, search Rocksoft online on google. They're a local online store that sells all sorts of flash carts. Get em there.
smile.gif

josking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alrighty, thanks dude.
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I think I got ripped off with this R4i Gold. Grr. Well, thanks for the help guys.
smile.gif
Anyway, does Acekard support EDGE-like saves? Cause I don't want to convert my saves one by one.
frown.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though this is not encouragement to continue using R4i Gold instead of replacing it with an Acekard 2i, you may be able to find the correct OS for it on Linfox Domain ( http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ ).
Most of the time people have problems finding the OS files for it because there are actually several different kinds of flashcart that are called R4i Gold / Gold R4i. At least one is a clone of another which is a clone and they don't always use similar circuitboard designs (even though the interface might appear the same). The one I have says R4i Gold (r4ids.com) and their website even describes that they have two versions of this cart. I have their "original" which even uses different update files from 2.0 version.
I spent many many hours searching, a lot of searching with google translate as well, looking for alternative software for it because their official software almost never gets updates for new games. The one I have turned out to be an acekard-based clone so it cant even run YSmenu or much else, though recently a version of Wood was adapted for it, I can't test it due to my DSi XL's firmware being 1.4.1u now.

josking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The nearest firmware I found that almost resembles it is DSTT. But I don't know how I can use that firmware for my R4i Gold.
frown.gif
If that's even possible. If it is, please help me?

Also, can someone please tell me how to put Wood firmware? I tried doing it but, it only took me to it's weird menu. the slot 2, micro SD, and folder thingy..
frown.gif
I think it can run it if done correctly?
ohmy.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to make YSMenu on my R4i Gold and it would load the interface, but it would not execute any ROM/homebrew at all. Yes, the DLDI error. If it's an acekard clone there's no way I know of getting past that without potential risk of permanent damage to the cartridge? Can't remember really, it's been over half a year since I tried getting that all working.

You have never mentioned one way or another if there is a website URL printed on the cart or the packaging it came in. Would you be able to mention what website it shows? Example: the one I had said r4ids.com.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1