R4i Change the menu text strings

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rune, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Rune
    OP

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    I actually have a R4i SDHC clone, but I imagine they work in the same way so the same answer would apply.

Basically I'm trying to change the text that appears at the bottom of the screen when you get the 3 icons in the main menu. I'm talking about the bit that says "Games", "Multimedia", and "Config". These aren't a part of the skin itself and need their text strings edited elsewhere, from the looks of it.

I know its probably not a big deal for most people, but I don't use the DS for multimedia purposes (who does in this day and age? lol). So really I have no use for Moonshell.
    I like the simple look of YSMenu and know how to completely replace the old R4i menu with it if I wanted to, but it seems like some games (maybe AP fix related) crash via YSMenu but work perfectly fine with the R4i menu.
    So I decided to replace Moonshell with YSMenu, so if I go to "Games", I get the normal menu with better compatibility, and I load of YSMenu when I click on "Multimedia".

So now I don't want it to say "Multimedia" at the the bottom and want to change it to say "YSMenu".
    Does anyone know how I can do this?

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Maybe you can find the translation files somewhere and edit the string. Otherwise it won't be easy.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If it's similar to the original R4, then it's just a string in the _DS_MENU.DAT (or DSMENU.DAT or whichever file name your clone uses) that can be edited, but the file has to be decrypted first, for the original R4 this was done with a tool like r4enc or r4crypt which might work on your clone too.

4. Rune
    OP

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    I eventually found that it's all stored in language.dat which was easily changed with any hex editor. There's also a multimedia_path.ini file that lets you redirect the "Multimedia" button to any .nds file of your choice (Originally I had YSMenu renamed to Moonshell as a way of replacing it).
    So a few quick edits with a custom skin, and you can sort of create a dual boot system for yourself that works quite well.