Hacking R4DS real or fake

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if my R4 is real or fake. From my best assessment, it looks like an authentic v2. I've read many of the real/fake threads and I THINK mine is real. It was purchased from a reputable dealer (RHS).

The only thing that throws me off is the shell in which the R4 came in (looks like this: http://depot888.com/images/R4DS.jpg). The shell says www.r4team.com instead of www.r4ds.com. I did some research and found on linfoxdomain that "The 'R4 Team' R4 may use the original R4 PCB, but they are not the official R4 devs."

Finally, my R4 runs on firmware v1.18 from www.r4ds.com as well as the latest YSMENU. It also matches pictures of the R4 v2s in this post http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=946...t&p=1270153

and PLEASE...I DO NOT care to hear about how "awful" or "dead" R4s are. I'm well aware of the situation. All I would like to discuss is the authenticity of the card. Thanks

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some more info...

My chip looks like this:
p4.jpg

And here's a clearer picture of the packaging. Note that the packaging below says www.r4ds.com....my packaging looks EXACTLY like this except mine says www.r4team.com:
p8.jpg

p6.jpg

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Either way it doesn't really make a difference, if it is an R4 clone (Which is 99% probably is) then it will still run homebrew and games. Just head on over to the R4 section in NDS Flashcards and in the stickied threads follow the YSMenu tutorial.

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already got the latest YSMENU on there. R4's v1.18 firmware also works properly.

To reiterate, I'm almost certain that it's REAL because:
-it flawlessly runs firmware version 1.18
-runs YSMENU flawlessly using R4's DLDI and DATS
-doesn't have that extra chip on the PCB
-no protruding chip beneath the R4 sticker
-linfoxdomain.com states that the R4Team.com people used the SAME PCB as the Original R4 Team. Only difference is R4Team.com released a crappy v1.19 firmware.
-my R4 does NOT support SDHC
-I bought it from a reputable seller (realhotstuff)

All these reasons make me believe it is real. Why do you think it is not? I don't see any obvious signs that mine is a fake...

I am just very interested in this and like to get to the bottom of things.
smile.gif

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks PharaohsVizier...that was insightful!

I'm just curious and just want to know. I think playing detective is fun with stuff like this. I'm not really too worried about the card working (or not working). I paid 10$ for it
biggrin.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My old R4 looks similar to that. I bought it before all the clones started to spring up.

I have that ATF01 chip on mine, though it says 0730# in digits. Where yours says card-7v, mine is card-6.
I realise taking a photo of mine would be easier, but I don't have a camera at hand.

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel...thanks for the reply.

No need to post a picture. I have that card as well
biggrin.gif
That's actually a v1 R4 with the microSD slot being spring-loaded.

This one here is NOT spring loaded and has some extra curves on the outter plastic....

Anyone with a confirmed LEGIT R4 v2 confirm the codes on their PCB?

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Keep in mind that just because it does those things it doesn't mean it is real. The fakes sold at DealExtreme for like $5 are EXTREMELY convincing pretty much for the same points you have.

Hmmm....I didn't think dealextreme was reputable? I got mine from RealHotStuff...those guys are supposed to be top notch, no?

Also, what makes you think it's fake? Because if all my points are moot, then is there a definative check? I know there's not software to check for authenticity...so does that just leave me in the dark?

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
If it says R4team on it then it's a fake, they're the ones who released a clone card with a hacked YSMenu as the firmware.

So this means nothing?:

According to www.linfoxdomain.com that "The 'R4 Team' R4 may use the original R4 PCB, but they are not the official R4 devs."

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
canderousa said:
TrolleyDave said:
If it says R4team on it then it's a fake, they're the ones who released a clone card with a hacked YSMenu as the firmware.

So this means nothing?:

According to www.linfoxdomain.com that "The 'R4 Team' R4 may use the original R4 PCB, but they are not the official R4 devs."

Yeah, what it mean in simpler English is "The R4 Teams R4 may look exactly like an original R4 but they are not the official R4 Team". Do a search of the forum and you'll find a thread from a while ago where they attempted to pretend to be the real R4 Team and released what they called "Official 1.19 firmware" which was in actual fact a hacked version of YSMenu.

edit : Another nice easy indication that your R4 is not an original is the real R4 came in a box.

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All good points guys! I really appreciate the insight.

I suppose you're right that if it was released by r4team.com then that is the definition of a clone and I DO have a clone.

Here's how I look at it...if r4team's release is the same PCB as the original and the ONLY difference is r4team.com's v1.19 firmware (i read that entire thread 2 days ago btw
biggrin.gif
) then the card is PHYSICALLY the SAME as the original...minus the fake v1.19 firmware. The next step is to just use the legit v1.18 and *poof* I've got an exact replica of an R4 v2. Right?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
to add ... never seen it as a blister pack ever by R4 team even the new R4i RTS comes i a white box!

4212459995370.gif

but again that means nothing the fakes come boxed too!

the card reader is different again from the original the original card reader is metallic not plastic well at least they were on the last batch of original R4 V2 cards

72R4_DS_Sandisk_2GB.jpg

I would say probably fake mainly due to the blister package and card reader ...but I'm guessing you bought it within the last year or so ...R4 have been ceased for a long time

the key factor here no one has mentioned or asked is it SDHC compatible!?

REAL R4 cards are NOT SDHC!
smile.gif

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
He already mentioned that it wasn't SDHC.

The thing about the blister pack is that I remember a few retailers claiming to have found NOS (new old stock) and they were packaging them in blister packs. They claimed that they were genuine R4's, leftovers from the past. Not sure why blister packs though.

Yep...SDHC NOT compatible. I tried a 4GB microSD and I was stuck on the loading screen. So everything the card is doing is inline with real R4s. And yes, it was purchased within the last yr and realhotstuff claimed it was old leftover stock.

As for blister packaging...it's the cheapest type of packaging to keep the cost down. Boxed packaging, firmware CD, hand strap, etc all cost money....

Again...if the PCB is indeed physically identical to R4 v2s, then I think I'm happy with this "clone". I wish someone with an R4 v2 would post a pic of the PCB....

OH...and by the way...I thought v1.18 firmware downloaded from www.r4ds.com never works on any clones. Am i wrong?

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
**UPDATE**

I spoke to the vendor and he says what we already knew. This flashcard is the closes thing to an authentic as there will be. This flashcard uses the same hardware/chip as the original R4. As PharaohsVizier says, it's very very very close to the original.

Only difference is the lame v1.19 firmware. But that can be circumvented by simply installing YSMENU or v1.18

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
canderousa said:
**UPDATE**

I spoke to the vendor and he says what we already knew. This flashcard is the closes thing to an authentic as there will be. This flashcard uses the same hardware/chip as the original R4. As PharaohsVizier says, it's very very very close to the original.

Only difference is the lame v1.19 firmware. But that can be circumvented by simply installing YSMENU or v1.18

unsure.gif
so its a clone then! .... just a good copy of the original!

re: Pictures between the V1 and the V2 is more cosmetic with the casing check the guide in my signature again its got images of both and points out the main differences
smile.gif

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As good as a clone can get I suppose. With the hardware/chip being identical to the original, this might be as good as it gets (from my research). My card looks soooo much like ALL the pictures in your signature!

I though the internals of a V1 and V2 are slightly different. Maybe not tho....Interesting stuff!

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DX fake?

I have a real R4 myself! V1 with the spring-loaded sd slot. My buddy also has another R$ V1. The color is the same on all models in my possession (that darkish grey outer shell).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?