Hacking R4DS III Problems

Splunge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess I made an error in buying the R4DS III. It's not terrible - I mean, it seems to mostly work but I'm having trouble getting Chrono Trigger to work. I'm not sure what the problem is - I've managed to delete a bunch of cheats from the usrcheat.dat file so that there are cheats available and I *think* i'm activating the correct Piracy Check Bypass Cheat (I hit Y, select the Non-M3 Real Version, hit Save and exit, and then tap on the game to start. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work - I get into the teleporter and never emerge.

I tried using the r4sayuto to get YSMenu running (as a .nds I load manually) but that fails - whenever I try to load a game it says:
No_Boot_Loader!

Should I try to use the official 1.18 firmware? Is that not compatible with the card?I'm using the 3.07 from r4dsl.net. Have I basically just wasted my money? I'm sort of hoping I haven't since I bought one for a friend for Christmas as well. :/

Thanks.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
unfortunately you know that R4 III is a clone and R4 is dead so never buy it.to be safe don't use the 1.18 firmware of R4 cuz it might brick you R4III.the only way to get through the teleporter is to use the Non-M3 cheat so your all in all screwed sorry

Splunge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skyman747 said:
You could just install YSMenu as the firmware for your cart.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to work (it just hangs at "Loading". I assume it doesn't work with the 1.x series of firmware or something.
tongue.gif

OTOH, I could just be doing something wrong.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 III won't allow you to Save and Exit in it's cheat menu.

You will have to use Yasu's R4CCE, and edit Narin's database (which you are, of course, using).

Use R4CCE to open up CHEAT.DAT.

Scroll down to Chrono Trigger, and open it up. You should see a small icon below it that says something like "Piracy Bypass". Click on it, and on the right side of the R4CCE window, you should see something that says "Code Enable". Click the button next to it to enable it, then make sure to save your changes to the file.

Do the same thing for whatever code you want to work with the R4-III, and you'll do just fine.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
unfortunately you know that R4 III is a clone and R4 is dead so never buy it.to be safe don't use the 1.18 firmware of R4 cuz it might brick you R4III.the only way to get through the teleporter is to use the Non-M3 cheat so your all in all screwed sorry

Several points here.

One, the R4-III has never gotten testimony that it doesn't function properly or that people are unsatisfied with it. It plays the roms, and has some problems with cheats (not most of them, and it can usually be fixed with R4CCE. I'm not saying it isn't a clone, but actually, it is a viable cheap option as it has a unique loader and regular firmware updates at r4dsl.net. People say they don't have a changelog, but if you change the language to English in the site, they do indeed show changes in their firmware.

Two, you're not screwed. Follow my advice, and you'll get into Chrono Trigger.

Three, I'm really sick of people who don't own R4-III talking bad about it when they've never tried it themselves. It's a perfectly good card, even though it is a clone of R4. It plays any rom without problems, just ask anyone who actually uses it. The only reason I'm trying to get YSMenu off the ground is because of the cheat compatibility and to give anyone who wants it on their R4-III can have it, instead of just answers that say "it should work".

Yes, it's an R4 clone. Yes, it functions frequently and has never bricked a DS. Yes, it has its own unique firmware that merely copies the graphical interface of the R4 cards. I understand that the people who are saying not to buy these things have experience and ect, but it sort of blows my mind that they keep talking about something they've never tried. Shouldn't experience tell you first how little you really know about the card?

davegazi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an R4-III. Never knew it was a clone until I after I bought it. It seems to work great.

The only problem I am having is using NDS Backup Tool and SavSender/Receiver to backup my retail saves. I suspect it's a router problem rather than a card problem.

All in all, I'm tickled with the R4-III and would likely buy another.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wolvenreign said:
lolzed said:

Several points here.

One, the R4-III has never gotten testimony that it doesn't function properly or that people are unsatisfied with it. It plays the roms, and has some problems with cheats (not most of them, and it can usually be fixed with R4CCE. I'm not saying it isn't a clone, but actually, it is a viable cheap option as it has a unique loader and regular firmware updates at r4dsl.net. People say they don't have a changelog, but if you change the language to English in the site, they do indeed show changes in their firmware.

Two, you're not screwed. Follow my advice, and you'll get into Chrono Trigger.

Three, I'm really sick of people who don't own R4-III talking bad about it when they've never tried it themselves. It's a perfectly good card, even though it is a clone of R4. It plays any rom without problems, just ask anyone who actually uses it. The only reason I'm trying to get YSMenu off the ground is because of the cheat compatibility and to give anyone who wants it on their R4-III can have it, instead of just answers that say "it should work".

Yes, it's an R4 clone. Yes, it functions frequently and has never bricked a DS. Yes, it has its own unique firmware that merely copies the graphical interface of the R4 cards. I understand that the people who are saying not to buy these things have experience and ect, but it sort of blows my mind that they keep talking about something they've never tried. Shouldn't experience tell you first how little you really know about the card?

still a clone based on a dead card.

the same price would probably get a non-clone card that has many more functions. like an acekard.

and people buying them now are still stupid. the quality of the build doesn't matter. it's the fact that it's roots are a dead card with outdated features, and a buggy cheat system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol