Hacking R4 Team officially non-existant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The waiting sucks, but it's ridiculous that some of you have been conditioned to accept anything but top-notch support...all because it's a device that some people use for piracy. Either way, you paid money for a product and it isn't unreasonable to expect it to work and get support.

So far, DSTT and the Supercard team have stepped up. It's all worth noting when you're considering your next flashcart purchase.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
thebobevil said:
"Piracy" has become too easy, these days ... and too commerical ... there's irony for you ... the commericalisation of piracy
smile.gif

Pirate companies manufacturing pirate product, with built-in obsolesence, along with a consumer base ... who'd have thought it?

Does anyone else miss the days of when piracy was limited to pockets of small, like-minded people? ... who weren't selling what they copied, and who were pretty much just copying things that they, that friends or family owned, or that they'd rented, and passing them around to a few people they knew ... neighborhood piracy, schoolyard piracy, water cooler piracy.

I miss it, and I don't ... it's a weird feeling.
Yep it is called NoSTalgia !

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
sk3tch said:
The waiting sucks, but it's ridiculous that some of you have been conditioned to accept anything but top-notch support...all because it's a device that some people use for piracy. Either way, you paid money for a product and it isn't unreasonable to expect it to work and get support.

So far, DSTT and the Supercard team have stepped up. It's all worth noting when you're considering your next flashcart purchase.

That's exactly the reason why you shouldn't expect top-notch support. Flashcarts are illegal, don't give me any "it's a grey area" because it's not - ask Nintendo for their opinion and you'll learn that it's illegal. Sure there are countries around the world with no copyright laws where they aren't considered illegal but most of us here don't live in those countries.

You're right, it isn't unreasonable to expect a purchase to work and get support - but only on legally produced items. It's like saying your local shylock should offer you support when you can't pay (rather than torching your ride) because you chose his service. You've bought an item that's illegal to buy, support should be a bonus not an expectation.

I'll agree that there are other cards getting better support than the R4 at the moment, but when the R4 first came out it was the most regularly updated card. Give it time and the support for the other cards will start to slow down as well.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
.TakaM said:
god damn it...

...in between every fucking update...
Yes, history tends to repeat itself even in small insignificant ways. People will bitch when their budget priced piracy isn't getting 24/7 support.

Here's an idea folks. Play the game with the patch or AR codes. Or play something else. Or just plain out do something else.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
R4 team are awesome
smile.gif
they haven't let us down yet and have added features they didn't have to..what makes you guys think they won't update ever again? Just because it's been a week or two since that game came out?

If you want to play a game as soon as it come out - Buy it!

The R4 works perfectly fine for 99% of games
biggrin.gif
play one of the other thousand or so games while you wait.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
thanihonjinballa said:
So the SCDS and DSTT have come out w/ fixes for final fantasy and have updated their kernels, but where is R4 in all of this? There are more people who use R4 than any other cart. Is R4 ever going to come out w/ any updates?

What are everyone's thoughts on it.

Do you think they are too busy doing other product development projects to consider doing anything for the "outdated" R4?

Blah, blah, blah...

"My greyware product that is banned in a few places won't play one out of over 2000 roms that I obtained illegally and play in violation of copyright laws..."

Boo f**king hoo... Buy the game!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
They do seem to be sorta slacking as of late. I mean, they do fix the occasional game that doesn't work, but FFCC remains unfixed (by the R4 team anyway). It seems to me that all they would have to do is the same thing Cracker did in their "on-the-fly" patching for the game. They also never fixed the little issue with certain AR cheats not working, even though Yasu fixed it long ago in his r4bugfix file. Why can't the R4 team do the same thing?
wtf.gif

I hear some people "say" that they are in contact with the R4 team, but they never actually tell anything about what the R4 team are doing, which leads me to believe they really aren't in any sort of contact with them.
dry.gif

Sorry didn't notice this before. I'll agree that it's pretty lax of the R4 team to not fixing something that Yasu has fixed independently.

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
TrolleyDave said:
That's exactly the reason why you shouldn't expect top-notch support. Flashcarts are illegal, don't give me any "it's a grey area" because it's not - ask Nintendo for their opinion and you'll learn that it's illegal. Sure there are countries around the world with no copyright laws where they aren't considered illegal but most of us here don't live in those countries.

You're right, it isn't unreasonable to expect a purchase to work and get support - but only on legally produced items. It's like saying your local shylock should offer you support when you can't pay (rather than torching your ride) because you chose his service. You've bought an item that's illegal to buy, support should be a bonus not an expectation.

I'll agree that there are other cards getting better support than the R4 at the moment, but when the R4 first came out it was the most regularly updated card. Give it time and the support for the other cards will start to slow down as well.

Yeah, I agreed with you. I've had my M3 DS Simply since 2006. My M3DSS comes with the v1.0 beta, and doesn't have any special functions. Nowadays, the same M3DSS has: Action Replay, Arm 7 fix, Download & Play, Multi-skin support and works with 99% of the games. It's much better than before. DS-X is from the same year, and doesn't have this functions yet (sorry, if it has them now, please let me know). Every game that doesn't work with my M3DSS, I just wait a while and the team R4 release a new firmware. That is it. If you don't like your R4/M3DSS, just buy another card
yaynds.gif

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what the big deal is, i had a MMD with a gigapack first and had to do all the research for DSlazy myself on the various sites. R4 is a hundred times more functional and there is a fix for it already using either AR or the patches. If you are too lazy to search forums for an hour thats your loss, cause i have an R4 and have no problems whatsoever.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2cb2ct7 said:
thanihonjinballa said:
So the SCDS and DSTT have come out w/ fixes for final fantasy and have updated their kernels, but where is R4 in all of this? There are more people who use R4 than any other cart. Is R4 ever going to come out w/ any updates?

What are everyone's thoughts on it.

Do you think they are too busy doing other product development projects to consider doing anything for the "outdated" R4?

Blah, blah, blah...

"My greyware product that is banned in a few places won't play one out of over 2000 roms that I obtained illegally and play in violation of copyright laws..."

Boo f**king hoo... Buy the game!

I mentioned the FF RoF part and how SCDS and DSTT already updated their kernels not because I want FF RoF. I already own the japanese version (yes imported it).

I mentioned that because it goes to show how the R4 team is slowing down its support for the R4 (considering they are still arguably the most popular cart out there). Seems to me like they are busy putting their energy into a different product or what not.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont see any problem. I mean, yeah I'm a firmware freak and I just love updating things even if I havn't used them for years, I still go on just to update. It just feels nice, but really the R4 has been a very good flashcart and, although it is getting old it is still very reliable and almost just as good as any of the new flashcarts out there. So what if the updates are just to fix ROM compadabilty and no added features? Isnt that what we use it for any way? Even if they were to discontune the R4, We still have it, it works, whats there to compain about?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope the R4 stops updating and they officially announce their disbanding. At least that would bring an end to most of the ridiculous speculation threads like this that are constantly being made by ignorant people with no common sense.

"OH GOD ITS BEEN A WEEK I HOPE R4 DIDN'T DISBAND WHY AM I NOT RECEIVING CONTINUING SUPPORT FOR MY ILLEGAL PIRACY DEVICE I SPENT A GRAND TOTAL OF 30USD ON TO PLAY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF GAMES FOR FREE OH MAYBE THEY'RE WORKING ON A NEW FLASHCART EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO BASE THAT FACT ON EXCEPT MY BLIND OPTIMISM DERPDERPDERPDERPDERP"

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
I hope the R4 stops updating and they officially announce their disbanding. At least that would bring an end to most of the ridiculous speculation threads like this that are constantly being made by ignorant people with no common sense.

"OH GOD ITS BEEN A WEEK I HOPE R4 DIDN'T DISBAND WHY AM I NOT RECEIVING CONTINUING SUPPORT FOR MY ILLEGAL PIRACY DEVICE I SPENT A GRAND TOTAL OF 30USD ON TO PLAY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF GAMES FOR FREE OH MAYBE THEY'RE WORKING ON A NEW FLASHCART EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO BASE THAT FACT ON EXCEPT MY BLIND OPTIMISM DERPDERPDERPDERPDERP"
If only that would stop them. Among the many other devices it's owners would flock to, the new device that the M3 folks are working on seems prime to hold this "fan base" on release. And god forbid it doesn't play 100% roms on release, or we will hear nothing but bloody murder about how a friggin' barbie game doesn't work with download play.

Aiming towards the original poster again:
I am still in shock that someone is so fucking stupid to suggest that the "R4 Team [is] officially non-existant" in a first place. No announcements = not official. And now let's head straight to the elephant in the living room. How long has it been, 5 days? And now you're spreading the thought that perhaps the R4 team no longer exists? You know what? What if they don't? Do you feel like they robbed you? Do you feel like you got the short end of the stick? If you do, you have no right in any way shape or form to feel these ways. Especially after just a couple bloody days. If there's anything I've learned from buying a DSX is that sometimes you get fucked and it's still more than you damn well deserve (which is nothing). And no, I don't give a shit about if the R4 folks up and split. There are other things to worry about in life than not being able to steal all the latest games.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:

Another typical Urza post

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AshuraZero said:
Urza said:

If only that would stop them. Among the many other devices it's owners would flock to, the new device that the M3 folks are working on seems prime to hold this "fan base" on release. And god forbid it doesn't play 100% roms on release, or we will hear nothing but bloody murder about how a friggin' barbie game doesn't work with download play.

Aiming towards the original poster again:
I am still in shock that someone is so fucking stupid to suggest that the "R4 Team [is] officially non-existant" in a first place. No announcements = not official. And now let's head straight to the elephant in the living room. How long has it been, 5 days? And now you're spreading the thought that perhaps the R4 team no longer exists? You know what? What if they don't? Do you feel like they robbed you? Do you feel like you got the short end of the stick? If you do, you have no right in any way shape or form to feel these ways. Especially after just a couple bloody days. If there's anything I've learned from buying a DSX is that sometimes you get fucked and it's still more than you damn well deserve (which is nothing). And no, I don't give a shit about if the R4 folks up and split. There are other things to worry about in life than not being able to steal all the latest games.

Damn dude chill out. I just brought up the question. Calm down.

Mods can you close this tread please.

Thanks

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanihonjinballa said:
Urza said:

Another typical Urza post
Another typical baseless retort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.