QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I have an old 3dsxl with Luma3ds v.9.0 + B9S v1.3 and I have been trying to use a flashcart (R4 SDHC Dual Core 2014, attaching picture of it) for playing DS games, I don't use any homebrew stuff on it, simply and pure gaming. However, my flashcard gets stuck on the loading... screen and if it pass that screen, it gets frozen at any time when playing any game. I have been digging in so much, but haven't found any solution for my problem yet. I have tried multiples firmwares for it and nothing.

Thank you so much for helping me out with this ^^

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 1,666

QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you copy the Kernel from the website on the sticker on your MicroSD? Can you try another microsd?

Hello, the sticker website is down, so nobody will be able to reach it bro. I have a kernel (It's supossed to be for my type of R4) that works as described in the previous message and that's the one I'm currently using as you read. Also, there was a post (I don't remember where) which said this type of flashcart was a clone and it would work if it had the Ace3ds plus kernel on it. I downloaded many Ace 3ds plus kernels (and some other versions of them with wood), but everything has the same result.

On the other hand, the micro sd card I have is a 4GB Sandisk class 4 with FAT32. I have formatted it to FAT to see if it works, being all these attempts useless. I have also tried with 2GB and 32GB micro sd's and formatted them with the same, but it didn't work.

I also wanted to add that if the R4 manages to get pass from the loading... screen, then the letters all gone. What I mean is that the letters showing the name of the game, options and even the calendar and hour numbers dissapear. If I choose a game and try to play it, it will create a new save file, ignoring completely the one it had been reading previously (for example, I tried to play Mario & Sonic at the olympic winter games and I was at a 60% of game completion, but the r4 created a new save file, ignoring the one it was reading before).

QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I've seen the link you gave me, but when I select the type of R4 I have been talking about, it directly jumps to the 2013 version. Does this mean this 2014 R4 uses the same firmware of the 2013 version???. I'm also getting a forbidden error when trying to download the 2013 firmware to try it out and let you know. Do you think there's a way I could fix this??

Thanks for helping me out. I'm a noob, so please be patient if I ask obvious questions. Thaanks ^^

QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, this is what I meant when "all letters and numbers dissapearing
20180129_174729.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've tried the 2013 firmware I told you before and at first try, it got stucked on the loading... screen. Then, when in the 2nd attempt, it got passed that screen to get in the one I previously posted. So, what do you all think???, I have already cleaned the electrical contacts with special alcohol and a q-tip. Let me tell you that I can freely move in the r4 UI, and it takes longer to do normal actions (execute a game, enter settings options, etc), but as I said before, if I execute a game, it creates a new save file for it's own and completely ignore the one it was reading previously. Then, if I shut down the console or return to home screen and I select the r4 icon, it would get stucked on loading... screen or load completely, but with the problem I've just showed you.

If you need more info about it, I will get it ASAP for you

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, I've got a 2014 R4 SDHC Dual-Core flashcart from R4iSDHC[dot]com.

I'm using it on a DSi XL on firmware 1.4U without any extra modification. I've just tested it on my 3DS XL with Luma 8.0 and B9S 1.2, with firmware 11.2.0-35U.

It shows as cart image -Touch! Bomberman Land Nintendo-, I've just played a bit of Newer Super Mario Bros DS without issues.

If you'd like I can upload a copy of the firmware I'm using, just let me know.

QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've got a 2014 R4 SDHC Dual-Core flashcart from R4iSDHC[dot]com.

I'm using it on a DSi XL on firmware 1.4U without any extra modification. I've just tested it on my 3DS XL with Luma 8.0 and B9S 1.2, with firmware 11.2.0-35U.

It shows as cart image -Touch! Bomberman Land Nintendo-, I've just played a bit of Newer Super Mario Bros DS without issues.

If you'd like I can upload a copy of the firmware I'm using, just let me know.
That would be great :), Thanks

QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

After having tested for some days a firmware I recently found, it's incredible, it has runned every single game I play on my flashcard. U can't tell how happy I am b'cause I have been searching a way of making it work like it now does for a very long time.

Regarding to some problems I pointed out the last time I posted, the letters in the stylus screen are now viewable (guess it was firmware stuff after all), but I can't do the same for the upper screen (it stays the same as in my previous pictures, no numbers nor letters in the calendar, date and hour). However, I don't care about this as long as I can keep playing like before. Second aclaration, do you remember when I said that the flashcart was ignoring every game save it used to read before??, the answer is quite more firmware cases. All my game saves were in .sav format because that's how I wanted them to be and I set this on the setting screen before I had no letters on any display, well, when I installed the kernel that it's working and which is my current one, I went directly to the options and saw that it was reading only .nds.sav format (Idk if I wrote the format well). The curious part is that I never modified the settings, it misbehaved by it's own along with my missing numbers and letters.

I updated my flashcart to 7.0.0 according to the official website Techmaster told me (btw bro, the 2013 kernel didn't work and I didn't try the 2015 one because as I was fine with my current one, I didn't feel any need of doing so) and when the installation finished, the flashcart was able to run any game with no crashes or lags. Hooray ^^.

So, I want to make a mini-tutorial I followed for the people that might be in this problem with this very specific type of flashcart:

1. Download my attached .zip

2. Format your microSDCard to FAT32 if your car doesn't have that format already.

3. Decompress it and take everything to the
root of your microSDCard (everything except the .png file, that's for clarifying that your flashcart is the right one to do the procedure).

4. Put some games on it (I put them in the root of the microSDCard, if you wanted to know).

5. Insert the microSDCard to your flashcart, and the flashcart to your 3DS.

6. Turn on your 3DS and wait for the Home Menu to load, press the SpongeBob's Atlantis Squarepantis THQ icon and wait for it to load (if it gets stuck on loading... screen, just return to home menu and take off and reinsert the cartridge in the slot until it gets passed of that screen, but I didn't have any problems to be honest).

7. Select microSDCard on the R4 Menu and then scroll down to the very last listed thing and run a program shown as "DS Program File". It will check your firmware version and will see if it requires an upgrade (I was before in version 6.3.5 and it took me to the version 7.0.0). Wait for it to finish and when it's totally done, press the power button until the console powers off. IMPORTANT NOTE: I have no idea about what will happen if your 3DS runs out of power or you take off the flashcart while in the upgrading progress, so please plug in the adaptador/charger before doing this and try to be on the wifi signal and don't get away from it at least when the process is over.

8. Turn on the 3DS again and select the R4 icon in the Home Menu and wait for it to load (again, if stucked on loading... take off and reinsert the R4). Once in the menu, press START and then press HELP, and as you can detailed see in the below part of the Help, it says wood menu version 1.7.....

9. Delete the "DS File Program" file if you followed everything, because you won't need it any longer and will it up your space.

I want to clarify that the 3DS detects the cartridge at it's own without the need of any microSDCard, but if you load this "SDless R4", it will get stucked on loading... screen.

Now you can play every single DS game you want, from easy running Picross 3D and New Super Mario Bros to the heavyweight Mario & Luigi Bowser's inside history and Pokemon B/W 1 or 2 . I've tried every game I put as example and it is perfect.

Also, it's obvious that you need a 3DS/2DS XL/Normal Size with Luma3DS and B9S for this to work because of the patch to TWL Luma3DS automatically applies when is installed. If you have a 3DS/2DS XL/Normal Size console and your firmware is in 7.0.0 or below (you can check it on System Settings, it will be shown down to the right in the upper screen) you can use this mini-guide and it should work too.

Cheers everyone ^^

Attachments

• R4 SDHC Dual Core 2014 3ds, 2ds, dsi.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,470

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there. Sorry, lost the thread as I forgot to check the "watch this thread" for new answers... Just found it today, as the "Search" feature of GBATemp doesn't work at all.

I'm glad you managed to get a working firmware.

By any chance have you already tried to play Bejeweled 3 for NDS using that firmware? Does it work?

If you're still interested on the firmware I've mentioned before please let me know.

And yes, I'm watching over this thread this time. :P

QWERTY1609

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there. Sorry, lost the thread as I forgot to check the "watch this thread" for new answers... Just found it today, as the "Search" feature of GBATemp doesn't work at all.

I'm glad you managed to get a working firmware.

By any chance have you already tried to play Bejeweled 3 for NDS using that firmware? Does it work?

If you're still interested on the firmware I've mentioned before please let me know.

And yes, I'm watching over this thread this time. :P
Hello, thanks 4 not forgetting about this thread. Well, yes, the R4 is able of executing "Bejeweled 3" without any type of problem. And yes, as I already have multiple backups of the firmware I'm currently using. So... yes, if you don't mind, I would like to try out the firmware you are talking about. Thanks :)

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, thanks 4 not forgetting about this thread. Well, yes, the R4 is able of executing "Bejeweled 3" without any type of problem. And yes, as I already have multiple backups of the firmware I'm currently using. So... yes, if you don't mind, I would like to try out the firmware you are talking about. Thanks :)

Sure, you're welcome!

Here you have the link, hope you can use this server:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y2m8ium2jy4shzo/Firmware2014R4SDHCDualCore.7z

The Spoiler and Code tags aren't working on my side... so I added the direct link, hope it's OK.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

Bootsyfunkman

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

After having tested for some days a firmware I recently found, it's incredible, it has runned every single game I play on my flashcard. U can't tell how happy I am b'cause I have been searching a way of making it work like it now does for a very long time.

Regarding to some problems I pointed out the last time I posted, the letters in the stylus screen are now viewable (guess it was firmware stuff after all), but I can't do the same for the upper screen (it stays the same as in my previous pictures, no numbers nor letters in the calendar, date and hour). However, I don't care about this as long as I can keep playing like before. Second aclaration, do you remember when I said that the flashcart was ignoring every game save it used to read before??, the answer is quite more firmware cases. All my game saves were in .sav format because that's how I wanted them to be and I set this on the setting screen before I had no letters on any display, well, when I installed the kernel that it's working and which is my current one, I went directly to the options and saw that it was reading only .nds.sav format (Idk if I wrote the format well). The curious part is that I never modified the settings, it misbehaved by it's own along with my missing numbers and letters.

I updated my flashcart to 7.0.0 according to the official website Techmaster told me (btw bro, the 2013 kernel didn't work and I didn't try the 2015 one because as I was fine with my current one, I didn't feel any need of doing so) and when the installation finished, the flashcart was able to run any game with no crashes or lags. Hooray ^^.

So, I want to make a mini-tutorial I followed for the people that might be in this problem with this very specific type of flashcart:

1. Download my attached .zip

2. Format your microSDCard to FAT32 if your car doesn't have that format already.

3. Decompress it and take everything to the
root of your microSDCard (everything except the .png file, that's for clarifying that your flashcart is the right one to do the procedure).

4. Put some games on it (I put them in the root of the microSDCard, if you wanted to know).

5. Insert the microSDCard to your flashcart, and the flashcart to your 3DS.

6. Turn on your 3DS and wait for the Home Menu to load, press the SpongeBob's Atlantis Squarepantis THQ icon and wait for it to load (if it gets stuck on loading... screen, just return to home menu and take off and reinsert the cartridge in the slot until it gets passed of that screen, but I didn't have any problems to be honest).

7. Select microSDCard on the R4 Menu and then scroll down to the very last listed thing and run a program shown as "DS Program File". It will check your firmware version and will see if it requires an upgrade (I was before in version 6.3.5 and it took me to the version 7.0.0). Wait for it to finish and when it's totally done, press the power button until the console powers off. IMPORTANT NOTE: I have no idea about what will happen if your 3DS runs out of power or you take off the flashcart while in the upgrading progress, so please plug in the adaptador/charger before doing this and try to be on the wifi signal and don't get away from it at least when the process is over.

8. Turn on the 3DS again and select the R4 icon in the Home Menu and wait for it to load (again, if stucked on loading... take off and reinsert the R4). Once in the menu, press START and then press HELP, and as you can detailed see in the below part of the Help, it says wood menu version 1.7.....

9. Delete the "DS File Program" file if you followed everything, because you won't need it any longer and will it up your space.

I want to clarify that the 3DS detects the cartridge at it's own without the need of any microSDCard, but if you load this "SDless R4", it will get stucked on loading... screen.

Now you can play every single DS game you want, from easy running Picross 3D and New Super Mario Bros to the heavyweight Mario & Luigi Bowser's inside history and Pokemon B/W 1 or 2 . I've tried every game I put as example and it is perfect.

Also, it's obvious that you need a 3DS/2DS XL/Normal Size with Luma3DS and B9S for this to work because of the patch to TWL Luma3DS automatically applies when is installed. If you have a 3DS/2DS XL/Normal Size console and your firmware is in 7.0.0 or below (you can check it on System Settings, it will be shown down to the right in the upper screen) you can use this mini-guide and it should work too.

Cheers everyone ^^

hi i recently also bought a fake r4 card so i ued your zip file and my r4 card says it cant read dsmenu.dat do you know what to
do and i also didnt have the spongebob logo you were talking about

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi i recently also bought a fake r4 card so i ued your zip file and my r4 card says it cant read dsmenu.dat do you know what to
do and i also didnt have the spongebob logo you were talking about
you're using any r4 .dat file won't work, you've got to get the firmware of your fake flashcart (and update it by wood or ysmenu).
mostly there is a website on the sticker or on the PCB, use https://web.archive.org/ search for the last date still active to download your firmware, or post a more detailed desciption of your fake flashcart (i doubt many people here got an original flashcart).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction