R4 Question!

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by appledrank, May 30, 2010.

May 30, 2010

R4 Question! by appledrank at 10:29 PM (1,267 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. appledrank
    OP

Newcomer appledrank Member

United States
    Hello I'm new to the whole flashcart thing and I've done research but I still have a couple of questions.

I've figured that all the R4 carts out right now are clones, correct?

Now here's my question, are there better clones out there than the rest?
    Or are they all the same? :wtf:

For example, is the R4 from ndscardsale the same clone as the R4 from shoptemp?
    Why would they sell theirs for half the price?

This whole thing is confusing.

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Yes, all R4's are clones as of now. However, the original R4 clones are EXACTLY the same as the original R4 way back when. Therefore, that would be the best, for DS or DS Lites. If you want an original r4, get it for 6 bucks at ShopTemp and get WoodR4. Otherwise, get an AceKard 2i, or a Super Card DS One i for your DSi.

3. appledrank
    OP

United States
    Is it preferable to order from shoptemp than ndscardsale?

I mean, I already placed the order for shoptemp, but I'm wondering if I made a good decision over the $3 difference .__.

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Then it's too late.

It's only $3, and the ShopTemp one comes with the Card Reader. By the time you get it and start enjoying it, you'll forget about the $3.

NDSCardsale sell the same one as ShopTemp http://www.ndscardsale.com/product/R4-Revo...NDS-and-DS-Lite for $4.66, which is on sale (normally $5.34). So at the most it's only $1.34 difference, and atleast ShopTemp say they work with Wood.

The $6 ShopTemp R4's run Wood http://shoptemp.com/news/16/Wood-R4-compatibility.html and that's all that matters.

I have a Wood R4 guide at the top of the forum if you haven't seen it. http://gbatemp.net/t227742-new-users-guide...ting-up-wood-r4

5. appledrank
    OP

United States
    That's perfect then. I was kinda regretting my decision, but it's good to know.

And your guide is really helpful. Practically idiot-proof. o_o

I can't wait to get it in. How long do you think it would take to get to Florida? -__-

6. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    What put me off the R4 compacts on NDScardsale is the photo, the cart has a black/white sticker on the cart instead of the black/silver sticker.

[​IMG]

But on their photos of the one with the blue case, you can see the sticker is black/silver.

The one I got from them does have a black/silver sticker, but it did make me nervous.

ShopTemp do need to start selling the Compact version though.

7. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    You're probably right, or it could have been a dodgy photoshop. As I said, mine was silver and $3 is nothing. I was happy to throw $3 away and take the chance on it.

8. Stropdasje

Member Stropdasje GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Remember however that the exact R4 clones are just that, exactly like the original R4 (version 2 - no spring loading). That also means no SDHC and no DSi. Use a SD card of 2 GB or less.