R4 or Acekard?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by haru3173, Jun 1, 2010.

Jun 1, 2010

R4 or Acekard? by haru3173 at 7:58 AM (2,205 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. haru3173
    OP

Newcomer haru3173 Advanced Member

United States
    I don't know if its my ds or my R4 but its freezing up frequently and it occasionally wont boot to r4 menu and it takes a few tries. Is my R4 about to fail. If so, should I buy an R4 or Acekard? What site is the cheapest and trusted? I was thinking of realhotstuff because thats where I got my R4 but any suggestions?

2. Halo-101

Member Halo-101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Go Buy your self a original r4 from shoptemp:
    [url="http://shoptemp.com/products/R4-DS-Revolution-Card-for-Nintendo-DS-DS-Lite-p-29.html[/url]?

Then Download Wood R4 V1.08 From Here:http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=11473

It uses .sav.nds as the save extension so your gonna need a converter from here:http://filetrip.net/f11513-%28Wood-R4%29-Save-Converter-1-2.html

Then run the bat file on ur sd to have compatible saves then copy the _DS_MENU.DAT And _rpg folder tou tour flashcart copy the usercheat.dat file downloadable from

cheats.gbatemp.net/Temp and add it into the cheats folder of the _rpg folder

a big guide can be found here:http://tinyurl.com/ultimatewoodr4guide

ur welcome:)

3. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    Acekard is alive,R4 isn't

If you buy Acekard,you get AKAIO
    if you buy R4,you get Wood

personally if YWG drops Wood,R4 is dead again,so IMO get Acekard

4. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States

I'd say Acekard cause it has more support than the R4.

5. Blade4474

Newcomer Blade4474 Advanced Member

Australia
    Technically, the R4 is alive.
    It was dead, but was revived by YWG when he created Wood.

6. Blade4474

Newcomer Blade4474 Advanced Member

Australia
    I'd say R4 cause it gets way more updates than the Acekard. (Wood)
    And its updated frequently

7. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    well AKAIO was updated every day,until some dude hacked AKAIO,so blame them.

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You don't say what your needs are.

The Acekard supports SDHC while the R4 doesn't, but is going to cost you over twice as much. The Acekard can also update it's cheats over WiFi, that's only of use to to if you want to regularly update the cheat database.

The R4 team is dead, all the R4's you see on sale are clones, of those you want the 1:1 clone because it's the only one which can run Wood. ShopTemp sell these 1:1's for $6. The Acekard team is still alive, but you wouldn't know it. Meaning that currently both the Acekard and R4 are dependant on 3rd party software, both of which are still active. ShopTemp are selling the Acekard for $14.95

ShopTemp ship from HK and are trustworth as they are affialted with GBAtemp, you can select DHL/UPS shipping if you want in a hurry. Otherwise you can buy from SimplyMods or LeetMod which are based in the US.

If you want to have a good comparsion, I've written both a Wood R4 guide and an Acekard Akaio guide.

Might be worth checking the contacts on your R4. You can try placing a piece of paper behind the sticker as you insert it. If that doesn't work, open the shell up and place a piece of Tape underneath the PCB where the contacts are.

If you can't open the shell up (should just be a screw on the back) you can try my sliding a piece of paper underneath the contacts trick

[​IMG]

It's from My Acekard guide.

It's probably worth yo u getting another R4 anyway in case it fails, they are only $6 and are handy for a spare.

9. Miser

Banned Miser Banned

South Africa
    Simply put:

If you don't need SDHC or DSi support, get an R4. (The better choice, in my opinion)
    Link to ShopTemp R4

If you do need SDHC or DSi support, get an Acekard 2i.
    Link to ShopTemp Acekard

Edit: By the way, your issues might be caused by a contact issue. Have you tried fixing it with the paper trick?

10. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    The OP could easily have a R4-SDHC, or they may want SHDC on their next cart.

We already know what your opinion is, you've stated it many times.

11. Miser

Banned Miser Banned

South Africa
    So, just like I said. If he needs SDHC, he should get the card that supports it. No need to attack me in every thread. No need to plant those referrer links in every post either.

12. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Since I've owned both...and original R4 and Acekard 2i, I'd say Acekard but I never got a chance to try the wood firmware which I heard was pretty good, but still I think Acekard is better by a long shot.

13. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Lately R4 wood has better support than Akaio. Why not drop an extra three bucks and get them both.

14. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    That wasn't an attack. You always suggest that the R4 is the better choice. Many of us on here are more open minded than that.

It's not the first time you gone after someone using referral links to ShopTemp. for example you did in this thread http://gbatemp.net/t229187-which-cart-to-g...t&p=2863270 If you have an issue with that, take it up with Shaunj66 or Costello.

15. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    R4 gets more updates than the Acekard gets these days. AKAIO firmware takes a lot longer, but YWG has been pumping out Wood updates fairly often.

If you don't care about SDHC, get a cheap 'original' R4.

16. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    If you don't plan on getting a DSi in future get the $6 R4 from ShopTemp and use R4 Wood. If you might get a DSi and want SDHC compatibility, then get the AceKard 2i.

17. haru3173
    OP

Newcomer haru3173 Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks the paper trick worked! well it lessened the my issue but it still happens. I'm just gonna buy another R4 anyway just for backup. Thanks everyone

18. BlazerX

Member BlazerX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I Personally like the R4 because to me its good with Wood but i also have a Acekard for my backup. you can also get a legit R4 card from I Shop Video Games where i got mine and it works like a champ with wood so i hope ymc does not drop wood atleast until Pokemon Black comes out.

Edit:Ishop has good shipping as well i got it within one week.