Hacking R4 dodgy springloader

Flozem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got my R4 yesterday, and of course made a start putting on software and stuff.

After switching my microsd card from R4 to usb and back a few times, I noticed the card simply would not remain stuck again. After a few frustrating moments it sometimes remains in, but without a click.

When I take it out and re-enter I have to go through the same deal again. :'(

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution for it?

I may go and switch it with the reseller a few miles north of here this weekend, though I believe he has none in stock for the moment.

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
be lucky it catchds at all, some R4 springs are so defective they dont click at all, but you should return it and say its defective, its a known quality issue, seems R4 does not do quality check before they package them since so many are defective.

Flozem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well now it totally stopped accepting my card, ejecting it at each try. The shop told me to come by in a week, since then their stock should be resupplied. For now, I just pumped the card with stuff to test the R4, taping the microsd in place... Not a pretty sight, but functional.
tongue.gif

At least I got a good microsd - it seems to play everything...

Flozem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tried that a few times, but it wouldn't stay in anyway - so I decided to tape it in place for now - works just as well. Though I must remember to make sure I have tape in supply before fiddling with the card.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My R4DS spring work great! Works a lot better then my M3 lite spring, where I have to push it in slow and stop just after the click. With my R4DS I just have to push it in and it stays in every time!

So for me R4DS spring is great and I would never exchange it for a non-spring version (theoretically, if there was a version to choose from).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only had my R4DS for a little over a week, but the spring seems fine so far. I have noticed that when I first stuck a flash card in the slot, it made a really loud click when it locked into place.......that click isn't as loud as it was the first few times.

I'll be sure to be careful with it.

blizzak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
n
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't want to start a whoel new thread, so i'll post my questio here about the spring.

I jsut received my R4 this morning and i loaded all the firmware and files i intend to use, the fist time i put in the micro sd it worked fine, no problems whatsoever. However the next time the spring loader malfunctioned, and the card simply woudn't lock. so i contacted my supplier and they said that they woudl do an exhange no problem, obviously that woudl be the safe route, but i tried again and now the micro sd jsut goes in it doesn't lock but doesn't pop out either. And it works fine i can play roms, use moonshell without any problems. i'm not sure if i should return it or just use it as is. any suggestions?

sorry for the long post

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've now had my R4DS for about a month. I bought it from Real Hot Stuff. The spring loader is getting flaky and I have to be careful when I insert the microSD to where I push it until I hear a very faint click and then it will stay. If I push too far in, it will just eject instead of locking.

It's been like that for a couple weeks now with no change, hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Has anyone ever investigated inside the R4 to see if anything can be done to repair the problem?

blizzak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
n
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say return it, you're paying for something and deserve it to work properly.

Yeah, thats very true, however i've heard horror stories where the micro sd has popped out on it's own while in the R4 and DS, and i'm worried that this will happen while in transit. i'm still debating whether or not to return it, though i'm leaning towards returning it.

S

spectral

Return just the R4 without the MicroSD in it then. Why would you return the microSD card if its working anyway? Honestly, if its faulty or causing concern at all then return it. Thats what the warranty is there for.

joe_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my R4 from Dealextreme and this one has a bad spring too. I opened the cart and put it back together again, now it seems to work OK, not perfect though.

I wished that just would just leave the spring out completely.

Oh well, not that big a deal....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout