Hacking R4, 2GB Micro sd, question mark over games.

Tiggerific

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello. I hope someone can help.
I have an R4 revolution, I'm assuming it's real plus a 2gb micro sd. The R4 is new to replace 1 that died =(, but the sd is the original i've always had. My problem is that only a small amount of games are playable. All the games I am trying are old downloads and have always worked, they now wont. Things i've tried:
1) Format SD
2) last known software update for R4 install
3) Format and use Wood software (this gives a ? over the image square), though cooking mama 3 image returned but game wont load)

Any ideas would be great.

Thank you xx Sherry xx

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When you download the games, what is the file extension? .NDS?

If you downloaded the game and they are something like a .rar, .zip or .7z, this means they are compressed container files, that when opened with the right program, contain the NDS rom you want.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like they're corrupt.
If you're getting a DS icon, that means the header information isn't filled in or is corrupted but should still run.
But if it's the DS icon with half Yellow/Red "?" ontop that means it can't read the file properly and won't work.

To test take a small file like a text document, rename it to .NDS and put it on your card. You'll get the DS with "?" icon and display the filename if you have it set to "Internal" Filelist Style (which should show the name from the header) because there is no header.
Some homebrew doesn't have a proper header and will show the DS icon and say "DS Program File" since there is a header, but it is unreadable.

Tiggerific

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tiggerific said:
Ok. Sorry it took so long, I have added screen shot of files on the R4, the R4 itself and how they appear on the DS.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26668686@N07/5204977162/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26668686@N07/5204977396/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26668686@N07/5204977302/

Avatar does work, Cooking mama 3 doesn't but the image is there and the others with ? don't load either.

Thank you xx
See how Avatar and Cooking Mama 3 show their header info
QUOTE said:
The Burning Earth
THQQUOTE
Cooking Mama 3
Majesco Entertainment
but Harry Potter shows "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.nds", that means that Harry Potter is corrupt or not an NDS file.

As for Cooking Mama 3, it could be a regression with the latest Wood.

Tiggerific

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
These games and all the others on my laptop hard drive have all been working previously and are currently working on my itouch2. The R4 i'm currently trying to figure out is my sons. Is it possible that these files just become corrupt or do they have to be downloaded corrupt. Sorry for the questions, I just don't understand how they worked fine on previous R4's ( my other son has one also ) and my itouch2.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They could become corrupt when you copy them over, or if your MicroSD card is dying or has bad sectors or if something is causing problems. Despite how many ways it could become corrupt, they usually don't, and it's often an outside source that causes the problem.
I think one of the versions released of Taiju Yamada (Xenon)'s R4 loaders (for booting commercial ROMs through Moonshell2 using WoodR4) were causing my card to corrupt. Everything I copied over was fine and worked on my AceKard2i but on the R4 would corrupt.

What were you using to format your MicroSD?
If it wasn't the Panasonic SD Formatter, I'd suggest you use it.

If you know they work fine from the iTouch, maybe copy the file from the iTouch's MicroSD to the PC then to the R4's MicroSD (or MicroSD to MicroSD directly if you can).

Tiggerific

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try to copy from the itouch2 if that works, I never thought of that, i have been searching for a site to pull it from again but the sites I used to use no longer exist.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
The flashcart has the Original R4 logo on it
unsure.gif

Tiggerific

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont think it is a clone. I purchased it from the same place I've bought every other and never had a problem, I just don't understand.
As for following the link for the ysmenu, baffled! Im am ok tech wise (not gr8) but that stumped me, wether it's through frustration I don't know. But will have another look.
Thank you xx

Tiggerific

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update so far:

So I've formatted numerous times and reloaded R4 files alot also. I eventually dug out an original disk with the old files for the R4 on and it stuck on the loading screen.
I have formatted again and put Wood on and it booted fine. I then replaced The last Airbender game as I know this one works. I have recently purchased Bakugan so found the back up nds files and downloaded that, this also works.
I am not 100% but am starting to believe some of my existing old roms have become corrupt, whoopy me for the time needed to trawl through testing them all.
Thank you so much everyone for your help, fingers crossed xxx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself