R Shoulder Button replacement (O3DS) - not flex cable

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by fireguy85, Dec 8, 2016.

1. fireguy85
    OP

fireguy85 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    Anyone know where I can get one of these? I've searched pretty extensively online and all I come across is the flex cable. I'm not really looking to drop $40+ on a broken system for a $.25 piece.

2. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Have you tried blasting the microswitch with contact cleaner (and work the switch a bunch of times before the cleaner evaporates)? Sorry if that's been done, but I've brought many a GBA & DS shoulder button back to life with the stuff. Used to buy it at Radio Shack, but it might be available at WalMart or home improvement stores. There are several different brands - CRC, WD-40, LPS. Just make sure it is called "Contact Cleaner" or "Electronics Cleaner." And don't get the stuff with lubricant (oil) in the mixture. Worth a try, and worth having around even if it doesn't help. I use it to clean dirty usb plugs, connectors and sockets for hard drives, etc.

3. fireguy85
    OP

Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    I mean the button works fine. It has a bit of a blemish:

IMAG0167.jpg

4. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Oh I see. I thought you meant the switch had stopped working. What happened? Dog ate it?

Considering that's obviously not the only cosmetic issue you've got, and assuming you want to keep this console in service ... I'd probably be looking into some very fine sandpaper just to get rid of the burrs. Then maybe a thin coat of paint if you wanted to.

5. fireguy85
    OP

Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    Yeah it's my brother's and his dog chewed it up pretty good. But it still works and has A9HL.

Some of the teeth marks are quite deep and I just figure it's easier to replace the pieces.

6. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    Did you dead the dog? I eat dog. Chirese food is best.

7. Cody090909

Cody090909 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Here
  8. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Get the part and YouTube it, it's not a bad or hard repair, but I would fill it with hot glue and sand it smooth, then maybe paint it with clear nail polish to hold and protect if I couldn't order the part or do the fix myself.

9. fireguy85
    OP

Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    I think I may go this route and just resell it without the buttons or possibly just replace my whole shell.. Not really sure now..

Have you had success doing this before? How about with color matching? This is a 25th Anniversary Zelda one; I can deal with minor flaws, but it needs to be pretty close.

Here's some better pics of the full damage: IMAG0173[1].jpg IMAG0172[1].jpg IMAG0174[1].jpg IMAG0171[1].jpg IMAG0172[1].jpg

Last edited by fireguy85, Dec 10, 2016
  10. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    That's absolutely horrendous, I am so sorry. My dog once ate both my SNES controllers. I've replaced the top screen of an O3DS XL and had to deal with the ribbon cable, so are you. Look here on Ali for the Zelda case but I doubt you'll find it because it was a limited edition from forever ago. Start here with the black one and look around a little, so will I. If I find the exact case I will post it here. Make sure to watch as many teardown videos as possible first, I wastched about 3 good ones and read a few teardown guides before I even bought the parts. Here's that link for the case.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fre...2036923686.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.47.X4JjmC

11. fireguy85
    OP

Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the help! I actually bought the middle section which includes that chewed up SD cover and destroyed analog cap (not pictured) on eBay for $13. The seller seems to have more even, but no battery cover or top cover :(

12. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    They have individual parts there on Ali too, I was considering buying a white inner bottom and white inner top in parts to make my 3DS an Oreo, mainly for the colored ABXY buttons since there was no North America White XL. The stick comes with some cases I think, wait, no they are separate. Forgot to mention, I don't think you can sand that out. That case is toasted.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New..._8&btsid=ef1858f3-7246-4185-bade-3749c1ba063c

Last edited by elBenyo, Dec 10, 2016