Quick USB HDD Question about Wii&GC Backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Mizenko, Jan 16, 2013.

Jan 16, 2013
  1. Mizenko
    OP

Newcomer Mizenko The Heavy is a SPY! POOTIS!

United States
    I am currently loading both wii and GC backups from an External HDD using two different FAT32 Partitions (G: and H: )with 32KB clusters. My question is simple, can i combine these into a single parition or would it be better to keep them separate? I would test it myself but it takes a average of 2hrs one way to move my wii games back and forth from my ExHDD to my laptop. Thanks in advance. I use CFG Loader by default.

2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I've been out of the stuff for a while, but it really should just be down to personal preference. Whether you want G:\<wii shit> and H:\<gc shit> or G:\<folder for wii shit and folder for gc shit>

Only downside of having split partitions is that if you add so many Wii games that you run out of space, you can't add more unless you delete others or shrink the GC one and extend the Wii one, and vice-versa for GC games. On a single partition, you're just working both out of a total pool.

I've got a 500GB external, currently one FAT32 partition. Haven't touched GC loading yet, but from here I would just add my GC ISO directory and keep working out of that 500GB for Wii, GC, and other roms/apps I use. So yeah, one partition might be simpler, but I think this is a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Until you need/want to, at least.

And welcome!

3. Mizenko
    OP

United States
    Thanks! but now i have a new problem >.< I can play the wii games just fine but when i launch a GC backup from my ExHDD i get the Black Screen of Death or a complete wii shutdown. But if I launch the GC backups from my 8G USB stick they play fine. WTF goddammit..............been giving me migraines for the past three days >.<

*Update* Reformatted my ExHDD to FAT32 (Hitachi 320GB) with 32KB clusters, move files over in the order of GC Games, Wii Games, Movies. All on 1 Partition set to Active and Primary. Wii Games Play fine, no issues. GC Games boot, play for random amount of time (Few Sec or Several Min) Wii Shuts off at random. WTF,FML >.< Halp

4. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    turn your sleep mode off on the drive

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Plus your GC games MUST be on the FIRST partition in order to work with DiosMios.
    Another reason why 1 Partition would be more handy.

6. Mizenko
    OP

United States
    Thanks all, but no cigar. I can't find anyway to disable sleep mode on my ExHDD.....still boots GC backups then shuts off at random......>.< Here's my syschk in case it's something to do with my system.

*Update* Well its not the wii. I can load and play GC's from my 8G stick with no issues. Dammed Hitachi >.<

Warning: Spoilers inside!

This is basically my wii =_= >>>>>[​IMG]

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Best way to play GC backup is to use DML with SD card loading. I find that DM with USB loading is unstable.

8. lwiz

Newcomer lwiz Advanced Member

Finland
    For me it's zilch problems with GC loading since release of DM and Devo, so I'd say just the opposite :) At most some video settings have to be tweaked and that's it.

9. Mizenko
    OP

United States
    Thank you all for your input, gonna mess with vid settings a bit but i think its just my HDD being an ass. Worse comes to worse i can just use my 8G stick. Thanks again, you've all been very helpful.