Quick tip needed: keeping my Wii up-to-date

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by slaven, Sep 7, 2009.

Sep 7, 2009
  1. slaven
    OP

Newcomer slaven Member

Italy
    I have to update my sister's soft-modded wii. I remember I applied (about 1 years ago) the Zelda patch and then installed the homebrew channel; I do not remember what I did install (cios, patches and so on); what I know is that gamma launcher worked.

Now I want to keep that wii fresh, clean and up-to-date. But I am lost in the plethora of information I found.

I need to know:

1) how to check my wii, what's installed, what's obsolete, what's critical, what's new to be installed
    2) what's the latest dvd-backup launcher(s) for best compatibility (not interested to usb-launcher, now)

I was trying to focus to cios(es) and firmware(s) but, hey mates, it's really hard to understand what's really needed to the at best.

I need the simpliest configuration you can tip me.
    And, any guide or tip to clarify the flog is VERY appreciated.

Thankyou...

2. slaven
    OP

Newcomer slaven Member

Italy
    Oh, sorry.
    I did not notice the simplistic mod thread...
    It seems to teach every things I need to know...
    Sorry sorry sorry... I'm going to read everything there... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Might want to read through my guide which is linked there as well. That will teach you pretty much everything you should need to know.

But basically you're going to update your cIOS by running the cIOS rev14 installer and using IOS249 since you have an older one already (considering backups are working at all).

Then delete whatever backup loader you are using with the wad you used to install it preferably (assuming you installed a channel of it) and install NeoGamma R7.

Then you can update using Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then the 4.1 updater. (directly updating to 4.1 will give you an error if you don't have at least IOS60 installed first. I feel you should run the actual 4.0 updater first instead of just installing that IOS60 though to be a bit more thorough.)

Then use dop-IOSv7 to install the most recent IOS60 with the sig hash check. (to allow installed wad's of vc/wiiware games to be played from the sd card menu as well)

Edit: Actually the first thing you should do is update the HBC and install bootmii while you're there. So run the latest hackmii installer and have that install the HBC over your older version and then if you can, install bootmii to boot2. Then use bootmii to make a NAND backup. (explained a lot more in the bootmii section of my guide.)

4. slaven
    OP

Newcomer slaven Member

Italy
    oh thanks;
    guess what? reading the simplistic guide I already got the link to yours ^__^
    now I'm going to print your thread, the simplistic thread and Deviyl thread; then I will begin to read everything... Hopefully I will absorb all i need to know and what I lost in this year... [​IMG]
    your glossary is great.
    see you soon