Quick Question...

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Goliath, May 19, 2009.

May 19, 2009

Quick Question... by Goliath at 1:41 AM (1,024 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Goliath
    OP

Newcomer Goliath Newbie

United States
    I bought an R4 from realhotstuff.com yesterday, and decided to do some research today (yeah, I know that was dumb). I found out that they are a pretty trust worthy website, but I also found out that there have been several cases of R4's "bricking" your DS. I have a couple of questions about this:

1. Will a genuine R4 brick my DS?

2. Is it the kernel, or firmware, that is the cause of the bricking? Or is it the actual cart?

Thanks in advance...

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Er I believe it can't brick your DS at all. It only can bricks the cart (might be wrong correct me if I am) Closing thing to bricking your DS would be a blown fuse. Note: R4s are only fake/clones since its basically discontinued.

3. Goliath
    OP

Newcomer Goliath Newbie

United States
    From what I read online there are certain clones that draw too much power for the DS to handle, which causes a fuse to blow.

Here is an example.

I just want to make sure that my DS isn't going to break when I put this card in it.

One more quick question.

Can bad games also brick your DS? Like games that have viruses in them?

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You will be fine. I know plenty of people who have fakes, and they work fine. What you read about was an extreme case, perhaps even exaggerated; I do not know the specifics.

Bad ROMs will not brick your DS. There are no Nintendo DS flash cart viruses.

Edit: I just did some research. What you read about was caused by something that had nothing to do with the R4 clone.

5. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    It doesn't brick your DS!
    so was your r4 original or clone?

you can brick your DS by doing such thing -> [​IMG]

6. Goliath
    OP

Newcomer Goliath Newbie

United States
    Ok, so after someone told me the R4 is extremely outdated, I have decided to return it (I hear Realhotstuff has great customer care). I have found a couple replacements. I think I might go with the Acekard, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Option 1

Option 2

I'm not even 100% sure that Dealextreme.com is a trustworthy website. Let me know what you guys think I should do... Thanks.

7. jruschme

Newcomer jruschme Advanced Member

United States
    Personally, I'd go with the AceKard 2 though I would run the AKAIO firmware instead of the standard fw. Depending on how you fee about the DSi, you may just want to go ahead and pay the couple of extra bucks for the AK2i. It uses the same firmware, but you won't have to upgrade again.

As for the DSTT. I own one and actually like them. However, there is more than a little concern in the community over the health of the company. They are at least a month overdue on an update and it is generally held that the last two updates have been more concerned with adding clone-killer software than with improving functionality/compatibility.

8. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Seconded.

9. Goliath
    OP

Newcomer Goliath Newbie

United States
    I doubt I will ever get a DSi, so I'm just going to buy the AK 2. I just have to wait on this return to fall through.

As for the firmware, where can I download the AKAIO?

Is that the only thing I will need, or do I need to the AKMenu4 from here.

Oh, one last thing... dealextreme.com is a trust worthy website, right? They won't send me a clone?

Thanks for your help.