Hacking Quick Question on wii backups

PiTBuLLeD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, gotta couple quick questions. I spent all night soft modding my wii, putting on bootmii, priiloader, cios, usb loader gx, and just generally trying to figure everything out.

I'm basically trying to use the wii as an emulation box, playing roms from nes > gc and play wii backups.

I was able to get a gamecube game loaded on my usbstick and loaded it through usb loader gx and it worked fine.

I then got a back up of new super Mario bros wii from archive.org. It came as a dec file so I used nNasos to extract the iso. This file was too large to add to my fat32 usb drive, so I used wii backup manager to add to my usb.

Upon loading usb loader it appeared on my list, I clicked open and the pregame screen with Mario jumping around came on. Was pumped. But when I choose start I get a black screen. After I minute of that it just kicks me back to the homebrew channel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR: Usb loader plays gc backup fine, but with a wii backup I get a black screen and eventually sent back to the homebrew channel

Reactions: Alexander1970

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
New Super Mario Bros?
I believe you need to install a certain cIOS in order to load that game.
If memory serves me well... I thin it's cIOS222 but I can't remember where to install it.

Just like Sonic 4 won't load if you do not pre-install another cIOS.
Just like you can't load channels from SD if you do not pre-install another cIOS.

This I believe is quite old, I mean what I'm telling you. I remember having the same issue in 2010 and I remember that was the issue (not havinc cIOS222)
Or something like that. But wait till someone more experienced knows what's happening here.

Reactions: banjo2

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey guys, gotta couple quick questions. I spent all night soft modding my wii, putting on bootmii, priiloader, cios, usb loader gx, and just generally trying to figure everything out.

I'm basically trying to use the wii as an emulation box, playing roms from nes > gc and play wii backups.

I was able to get a gamecube game loaded on my usbstick and loaded it through usb loader gx and it worked fine.

I then got a back up of new super Mario bros wii from archive.org. It came as a dec file so I used nNasos to extract the iso. This file was too large to add to my fat32 usb drive, so I used wii backup manager to add to my usb.

Upon loading usb loader it appeared on my list, I clicked open and the pregame screen with Mario jumping around came on. Was pumped. But when I choose start I get a black screen. After I minute of that it just kicks me back to the homebrew channel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR: Usb loader plays gc backup fine, but with a wii backup I get a black screen and eventually sent back to the homebrew channel

Hello and welcome to the USB Stick Club.:)

As I see,you have done your Work on the Modding Site.Good Job.:yaywii:

Now to the "main" Thing,your USB Drive/Stick.As you maybe read here in this great Forum unfortunately we have many Issues with USB Sticks/Thumb Drives and that Kind.:(

A few Questions please,if you allow.

- Which USBLoader did you used ? And which Version please. ?
- Is your USB Device/Stick plugged into the correct Port 0 ?
728px-Wii-USB-port.jpg

- How is your USB Stick formatted please ? I read you usedthe WiiBackupManager for the Game transfer (a very good Idea.:)).Is it still FAT32 ?
- Is there one Single Partition on it or maybe more ?

- Is it recognized as MBR or GPT Drive ?
img_56e628d28bd5b.png.pagespeed.ce.QTfQCBsn-5.png img_56e6297886fee.png.pagespeed.ce.OAzLplkJBg.png

- If you use the USBLoader GX latest Version you can try to change in the Global Settings/Loader Settings the Loader´s IOS from 58 to 249.

- If you want to perform an sysCheck
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

and look in the Result from it on the cIOS249 you can maybe try (if it is not already) to change it to
IOS249[57] (rev 21, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0

-
you can also try to format your USB Stick with the WiiBackupManager to WBFS Format instead FAT32.Unfortunately the GameCube Games are no longer working.
They need FAT32 for proper working.

Please be so kind and have a look on this "Suggestions".

Good Luck and
Thank you.:)

PiTBuLLeD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello and thanks for the quick replys, you guys are fast! I typed this from work, ill check everything you mentioned when i get home and let you know what happens. Thanks again! Been wanting to get a wii for an emulation box forever.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Wii makes an excellent emulation box, but it also gives you a unique gaming experience you cannot get with any other console. Super Mario Galaxy, Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword are only the beginning. The best games on Wii are Wii games.

And know that I've been using various sized SanDisk USB Flash Drives since 2012 with my original Wii without a single issue, so don't let anyone ever tell you that that is your problem.

Reactions: banjo2

PiTBuLLeD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again. I did a little reading up on modmii, but from what I understand I should have done this from the beginning. Considering I am all the way to the point of trying to get the actual game playing will it still help me? Also where can I find modmii?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi again. I did a little reading up on modmii, but from what I understand I should have done this from the beginning. Considering I am all the way to the point of trying to get the actual game playing will it still help me? Also where can I find modmii?

Use Google to find ModMii
And use ModMii to install these:
249 rev 21d2x base 56
250 rev 21d2x base 57
222 hermes rev 5.1 base 38
223 hermes rev 4 base 37 merged 38
224 hermes rev 5.1 base 57

LOL just pasting from other site, because I have a terrible memory... but I am sure that you just have to install 222 in order to load New Super Mario Bros

Hermes's and Waninkoko's cIOS are waaaaaaaaaaaay old but they're still reliable to load certain backups,

PiTBuLLeD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I ran through miimod and installed all the cios that it took me to on the guide it made me. I think I made a mistake in the process though as I told it to put usb launcher on the sd card instead of the usb drive. Now I get an error that my usb drive is not recognized. Any idea how I can undo this without messing everything else up?

PiTBuLLeD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, quick update. I was able to move usb loader from the sd to the usb drive. This did not fix my problem however. My usb drive was still no longer being recognized despite it working before playing with modmii. Eventually I found that using port 1 on the wii and making the change to 1 in the software got me back up and running. In addition to this new super Mario wii (and all the other wii games I've tried) now plays properly. Modmii did the trick! So thanks to everyone who helped and a special thanks to flak who recommended modmii and after using it I found out he created it! So thanks brother, appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!