Quick question before modding Xbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by watertails, Jan 3, 2010.

Jan 3, 2010
  1. watertails
    OP

Newcomer watertails Member

United States
    Hey, GBATemp, I just have a question before I go full-bore into modding my XBox. From what I've heard, Xbox controllers are, like, USB pads with a proprietary male end, so would it be possible to splice a USB extension cord through a controller port and use a flash drive to transfer the save exploits to the hard drive? If that does work, how exactly do you remove the controllers (specifically three and four) from the motherboard? I'm having trouble disconnecting those before I start soldering.

Also, I'm too cheap to buy a premade adapter and don't really have the means to hotswap, so those two are out of the question.

Edit: Also, I only have one controller, so I can't really splice the USB cable into that, either.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Original xbox mods huh.

Yes xbox pads are USB in all but name (a quick note but not all USB drives will work and you will need to format it/prepare it and the software on the PC side (read the AID/auto installer deluxe manual), I am guessing you have read far enough to be asking this you already saw that though).
    As for the matter at hand I have seen/made
    xbox controller ports replaced with USB sockets as well as USB female cables used where board mount stuff is rare.
    xbox controller breakaway sections have USB extension cables soldered/spliced in (same colour to same colour), you do not have to sacrifice a controller to do this.
    The memory card sockets on the controller (they are also USB) changed to USB ports either by extension leads of sockets)

It is all fairly simple stuff (same coloured wire to same coloured wire or http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml ) but http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php?p=191|315|#315 is probably what you want to read.

3. watertails
    OP

Newcomer watertails Member

United States
    Edit: Soldered, and it can read flash drives, but the Action Replay software won't read my drive. I have updated the drivers, and it still isn't working. Are there any other (hopefully better) ways to transfer saves to USB stick?