Hacking Quick question about possible bricked DSL.

Puma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few weeks ago, my DS's hinge cracked. I did a bit of research into it and apparently it was normal for DS's around my time. It was only a crack, I didn't see a big deal to make out of it.

Then, the actual hinge completely broke off, and then the screen started shading in different shades of red and a background of light blue and such. Again, it didn't really seem to bother me, but at that point I ordered a shell replacement and top screen from DE (my friend does DS's, so I figured why not). Then a few days after I ordered them, I was using my DS for something or other, and then the screen fell out of my finger which I had been using to hold it in place, and then the DS just completely shut off.

It wouldn't turn on except for a quick flash on the touch screen. My friend said the power wire is broken and there is NO way to fix that. Period.

Is this true? Is my DSL broken for good?

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's most likely the Screen's ribbon cable dislodging from it's slot. Follow a disassembly guide and ensure that all the cables are correctly attached. Failing that, there may be damage to the cable itself - which will mean you have to get a replacement screen (£6 DealExtreme). If the damage is to the cable grip on the motherboard, that's much more difficult (I think you can get a replacement, but it requires desoldering).

The fact that it powers on, flashes, then powers off really whiffs of "ribbon cable connection".

Puma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does require de-soldering, where could I find replacement parts to fix whatever it is that needs it?

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I've had a more thorough look, and I can't find anywhere I can get just the ribbon cable grips. I saw this site, which has a lot of replacement parts, but there isn't a cable grip there.
The only place I can think of getting them (albeit indirectly) is desoldering them from broken DS Lites. Presumably that would require a trip to eBay, which given the fact that they can sometimes sell for an absolute bomb, might not be a great solution. So I'd make sure the problem isn't the connection, the cable, or the screen.
tongue.gif

wildfire95

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
I highly doubt there is no way to fix it. Your friend is probably one of the same people who believe Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out for the PS3 this May...which it isn't.

All major releases get delayed xD

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well you can get the connectors off ebay.co.uk - HOWEVER - they have 20+ pins all all as small as a strand of hair. It realistically cannot be done.

Good news, the broken clip is VERY unlikely, if the cable is damage the DS will not start up, it needs to see both screens before it starts.

It is most likely either the ribbon cable (purchase from dealextreme for a few dollars, if you have broken the connector on the board next to the screen then you can replace this board for a few dollars - the only thing that is not cost effective to replace is the main board.

All the above os for a PHAT

If you have a lite then the top screen comes with the cable attached

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: