Quick PS2 Help please

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Link5084, Jun 9, 2011.

Jun 9, 2011

Quick PS2 Help please by Link5084 at 7:43 PM (936 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Is there a way to get the PS2 to be able to play UNPATCHED PS2 backups without a modchip? Because my modchip died so I gotta get another PS2. Now the thing is, FMCB can only read PATCHED PS2 games right? So then I guess its too late because I have over 200+ unpatched backups. And if I go with the Network Adapter + HDD method, then I would have to hook up my PS2 HDD to my PC which is such a pain. So, whats the easy method to this?

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Swap Magic + flip top case (assuming it's a fat style ps2) or just a swap magic and block the sensors if it's a slim.

3. Link5084
    OP

United States
    Is that more efficient than a Network Adapter + HDD? And that won't hurt the laser right?

4. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    What do you mean more efficient? You won't have to do anything to your current games or mess around with anything pc side if that's what you meant. Hurt the laser?, no more than using backups with a modchip would. It's just a different method of booting copies.

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    200+ backups and you are sure your modchip died and not the laser? Cogswap would be another alternative using discs, requiring one high TOC retail game. I guess swap magic is superior to this, but swap magic always needs an original swap magic disc, right?

If you would install the games to an internal HDD, and play a little with it, you wouldn't want to miss it anymore.

6. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    False, FMCB can't read games at all.
    what can reads game is the software you are using with it. If you want to use back-up disk with ESR, then yes, you need patched back-ups disc.
    Open PS2 loader let you load unpatched iso from hdd, usb or network.
    But you can also use FMCB with swap magic3.8.ELF, you will need a legitimate ps2 dvd disc though

7. Link5084
    OP

United States
    I wouldn't want to just have a 40GB hard drive for my PS2 and have to delete and install any PS2 game that I want to play again because it's annoying. With all my backups I have I can easily just put it in my PS2 and not have to worry about installing/deleting anything. But yeah I'm sure my modchip is dead. I got a professional to check my laser on my PS2 and he replaced it but it didnt work.