quick DVDX question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by inbetween, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009

quick DVDX question by inbetween at 4:23 AM (1,305 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. inbetween
    OP

Newcomer inbetween Newbie

United States
    Hi, yes I know that I am new here at this forum and that I acknowledge my somewhat limited familiarity or know-how with the homebrew scene, but I have a quick question regarding DVDX and it's use for MPlayer CE 0.61 and Backup Launcher Gamma 0.3, and as an extension, Gamecube Backup Launcher 0.2 as well.

Anyway, here is my problem, well story if you will. I recently used the BannerBomb exploit on my System Menu 4.0 Wii to install the Homebrew Channel, DVDX, and Bootmii. From there, I downgraded to System Menu 3.2 by closely following the guide provided here (I give my thanks to the authors/programmers for all their hard work). I then came upon the wonderful MPlayer CE and proceeded to tinker and use it around as a way to feature my Wii as a sort of multimedia console so to speak. After playing around with the player using some audio from my SD Card, I then added the ability of using USB 2.0 with it by following the instructions from the player's readme since the player can't use them and because I wanted some bigger storage for some videos.

From the readme, it said that in order to allow USB 2.0 functionality, I needed to install USB 2.0 cIOS as IOS202 and using IOS36. I did that, and then it required me to reinstall DVDX through advanced mode and selecting IOS202. Everything works fine, there's no problems with the player nor are there any problems with loading files from the USB or anything like that. But I came across something when I decided to try to install Backup Launcher Gamma and it's Gamecube cousin as a way for me to play backups of my damage discs.

In order for me to install Backup Launcher Gamma 0.3 and for it to work properly, I have to uninstall DVDX and then reinstall it again through advanced mode but this time I have to select IOS249. My main question concerning this encounter is that will I still be able to keep my USB 2.0 functionality for MPlayer CE if I am to reinstall DVDX on IOS249? I really want to keep MPlayer and also be able to play backups on my Wii. Is there any sort of solution for me to have both these applications running without any sort of conflict?

Well I don't really know if there will be DVDX problems between the two apps but since I have to reinstall to different IOS's, I'm taking the precautionary route of asking for help and suggestions considering my very low experience with homebrew and hacking, I have been reading a lot about them though to have some sort of familiarity though I would get confused with any mention of weird "letter/number terms" such as IOS or NAND.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this issue has already been brought up or if there's an answer already lying around somewhere that I have failed to search and find, or if I have posted this topic on the wrong section. [​IMG]

2. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    There is no need for DVDx for 0.3 Gamma. On Wiigator's blog it's written:
    Q. Do I need dvdx?
    A. No. Just ignore it and forget that it could be in anyway related to this program.

3. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    IOS are files for the wii for various uses. Like, wiispeak 2.0 uses ios56 to run, or....to run madworld, you need ios55 installed, etc etc. to put it in simple terms.

NAND is the wii internal memory. it is what the system menu runs off of, as well as all channels you have, saves, etc etc.

anyway, yeah, running backups has nothing to do with DVDx.

4. inbetween
    OP

United States
    Well in that case, I must have been following the wrong tutorial then, at least I've gotten this far without asking questions. Thanks for your responses and help guys! [​IMG]

5. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    All you should need to get the backup launchers working is cios rev like 7 or above for the gamma 0.3 launcher (9 or above for usb loaders). (Which is an ios36 revision that installs to ios249 aside from rev 12 justs released which uses ios38 instead.) And a cMIOS for the gamecube backup launcher. As stated, you don't need dvdx at all for either of them.

6. inbetween
    OP

United States
    A new problem now came up, the cIOS I'm trying to install through the cIOS installer that came with my download can't seem to install correctly, causing the Backup Launcher not to work at all. It keeps saying that there's some sort of error along the lines of "TMD SIGNATURE ERROR" or "FAILED -1". Can't really remember how to they exactly look like but it spits out those lines when I'm trying to install the cIOS.

It downloads all 15 parts and then when it's almost about done, those things come out. Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded the loader and the installer from the source blog itself and I don't know why this is happening. Also, there seems to be some news of a new cIOS or some sort. Should I get it? Will it make the Backup Launcher work properly? I know it can't be the backup disc's fault since I've carefully burned it and I'm using a pretty reliable DVD-R with enough space for the game.

It also can't be my Wii's fault since I pretty much closely followed every piece of guide and instructions whenever I installed a new app. But then again, maybe some sort of app is conflicting with the cIOS or something. I really don't know and I've searched around for a proper installation of the launcher and they all yield the same set of instructions that I have followed except that their launchers work while mine sits in the dust. Some help would be really great. [​IMG]

It's better to post here than start a new thread after all. [​IMG]

7. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    You said you were on 3.2??

I have never used that cIOS202 but (and this is only from memory) deleting IOS249 using ATD: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyTitle_Deleter/ and then reinstall the cIOS you wish to install. I'd say stick with rev8 or 9 untill you use the USB loader. [​IMG]

EDIT: On second thought, don't worry about that. I think that was for the 1017 ret error. Read this? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123982&st=0

Could be your SD card. Format it to FAT (not FAT 32) and make sure it's

8. inbetween
    OP

United States

9. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you have ios249 at all then you must have installed some cios already...do you know what cios rev you installed to it already and what rev you're trying to install? Have you actually tried loading a backup through the backup launcher yet, if so what error does it give you? And what guide did you use to downgrade?

10. inbetween
    OP

United States
    Well, I used this guide I found while browsing around for a tutorial for a physics project-
    Modding 4.0 Wii

From there, I pretty much got a base to start from and then I started installing some homebrew and WADs after reading about them from Wiibrew. Also, looking through the tutorial I used now, I found out that I have already installed cIOS36 rev10 while downgrading 4.0 to 3.2 System Menu, which is really annoying since I didn't notice this before. This could be the problem that's messing the Backup Launcher up.

And while loading a backup through the launcher, all it does is give me an empty black screen, as if the whole thing froze but you can hear sounds of the disc being read on the Wii, but not of it spinning. The problem now is that I have absolutely no idea of what cIOS I was trying to install before when I first downloaded the launcher. If it helps, I was using the cIOS installer that came with the launcher from the source blog's download.

I'm taking a guess here now, should I use Any Title Deleter to delete the cIOS I was trying to install and then reinstall cIOS36 rev10, or install a different cIOS? Will that fix my problem? I'm taking a precaution of asking first. Thanks for your valuable help and reply! [​IMG]

EDIT-

Also, since you've brought up the use of the USB Loader, is it possible to only partition and format a certain part or amount of the external drive to WBFS? Like say I have a 700gb drive and I only want maybe about 50gb of it to be formatted for the use of the Wii. Is it possible to do that and also still have access to the other parts of the drive that's not formatted to WBFS? Can I use WBFS manager to do this? I don't want a full format and I don't want to mess around with tools that could potentially delete a large portion of my files. So is that possible? And how? Thanks for the help! [​IMG]