Hacking Questions Re: SX OS & Switch

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there, I've got a couple questions regarding SX OS and Switch. I'm looking to buy the SX OS Pro. I had a read around a bit myself but I thought I'd get some clarification before going forward just in case.

My Switch has been sitting on FW version 4.1.0 for a while now and i'm after reading that SX OS now supports the latest FW version 6.2.0. Should I update my switch before using SX OS or after?

Would I be correct in saying that there are no coldboot exploits for anything above FW version 3.0? Would it be wise to try and remain on this lower firmware (4.1.0) for the time being or is the current state of the Switch scene such that it seems unlikely and not worth it to remain on such a low firmware? I assume this would cause compatibility problems with newer games and possibly SX OS itself?

Are there any immediate pitfalls in terms of permanently damaging/bricking my Switch that any of you could mention before i go through with any of this?

And finally if anyone could link to any up to date comprehensive guides on the topic that'd be much appreciated. Especially in regards to emuNAND.

Thanks. TLDR; bold.

**(I've already had a read through this: https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/ and "a year in nintendo switch hacks" sticky hasnt been updated since march it seems)**

Last edited by rscarrab,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can use any CFW on 6.2.0, so you can already update if you want.

To prevent your fuses state in case you would want to roll back to a lower firmware if a coldboot exploit appears, make a NAND backup with hekate and update via ChoiDujourNX.

Reactions: rscarrab

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can use any CFW on 6.2.0, so you can already update if you want.

To prevent your fuses state in case you would want to roll back to a lower firmware if a coldboot exploit appears, make a NAND backup with hekate and update via ChoiDujourNX.

Thanks for the reply.

I presume you meant, to preserve my fuses state, no?

And if I’m interpreting what you said correctly then it sounds like a good idea to backup my NAND with Hekate before upgrading and then when I decide to upgrade, use ChoiDujourNX as opposed to the official method.

Reactions: lordelan

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the reply.

And if I’m interpreting what you said correctly then it sounds like a good idea to backup my NAND with Hekate before upgrading and then when I decide to upgrade, use ChoiDujourNX as opposed to the official method.

Maybe you can try emunand and have something like sysnand online (or offline if you don't care about online)+ emunand offline and you can update emunand with choi and have access to hw and latest games without risking your switch

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you can try emunand and have something like sysnand online (or offline if you don't care about online)+ emunand offline and you can update emunand with choi and have access to hw and latest games without risking your switch

Yeah that's pretty much what i want out of it, but also like Lordelan points out id like to be able to rollback at a later date in case a coldboot exploit appears.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the reply.

Exactly.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind you will need to enable autoRCM to prevent accidentally booting into OFW and burning your fuses

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hey there, I've got a couple questions regarding SX OS and Switch. I'm looking to buy the SX OS Pro. I had a read around a bit myself but I thought I'd get some clarification before going forward just in case.

My Switch has been sitting on FW version 4.1.0 for a while now and i'm after reading that SX OS now supports the latest FW version 6.2.0. Should I update my switch before using SX OS or after?

Would I be correct in saying that there are no coldboot exploits for anything above FW version 3.0? Would it be wise to try and remain on this lower firmware (4.1.0) for the time being or is the current state of the Switch scene such that it seems unlikely and not worth it to remain on such a low firmware? I assume this would cause compatibility problems with newer games and possibly SX OS itself?

Are there any immediate pitfalls in terms of permanently damaging/bricking my Switch that any of you could mention before i go through with any of this?

And finally if anyone could link to any up to date comprehensive guides on the topic that'd be much appreciated. Especially in regards to emuNAND.

Thanks. TLDR; bold.

**(I've already had a read through this: https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/ and "a year in nintendo switch hacks" sticky hasnt been updated since march it seems)**
Buddy first of all you'll have to check if your switch is hackable. Did you get your switch at firmware 4.1?
Switch made after July cannot be hacked yet
Check this for more info
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Keep in mind you will need to enable autoRCM to prevent accidentally booting into OFW and burning your fuses

That’s a really good tip, thanks for pointing that out.

But that begs the question; how would I be able to boot into OFW without burning the fuses?

Would that have something to do with emuNAND and swapping out FW’s?

Buddy first of all you'll have to check if your switch is hackable. Did you get your switch at firmware 4.1?
Switch made after July cannot be hacked yet
Check this for more info
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

Thanks for the heads up but I bought mine well before July and I had updated it myself to 4.1 so I assume I should be good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well the serial check is a good thing. But best advice remains to actually test the system using for instance TegraRCMSmash. Only then will you know for sure.

It wouldn’t hurt to do it anyway, I suppose.

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
That’s a really good tip, thanks for pointing that out.

But that begs the question; how would I be able to boot into OFW without burning the fuses?

Would that have something to do with emuNAND and swapping out FW’s?

Thanks for the heads up but I bought mine well before July and I had updated it myself to 4.1 so I assume I should be good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It wouldn’t hurt to do it anyway, I suppose.
nice good for you bro. I actually didnt have a heads up on that thing and had bought a switch from amazon which later had to return because it couldnt be hacked :(
still searching for old used ones

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice good for you bro. I actually didnt have a heads up on that thing and had bought a switch from amazon which later had to return because it couldnt be hacked :(
still searching for old used ones

Yeah you could probably stomp on it a few times and amazon will still take it back. They should just name it 'Amazon Rental Service' instead of refunds.

Reactions: Budsixz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: