Hacking Questions about Updates in the Community

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I have been away from the Wii-Scene (got hooked on some moderately annoying PC games), and now that I am back to playing the Wii, I have noticeds several changes (nothing too major though.) It seems that Starfall has been made obsolete, there is a GC Launcher and there is a fix for Gamma. I am sitting with a 3.3v1U softmodded with Gamma back up launcher. I never bothered to downgrade mainly because I don't install any wads/whatnot, and wasn't that afraid of Bricking my system. Now I am considering installing a few wads and would prefer to be safe. I will likely be downgrading back to the 3.2U later today, maybe tomorrow (as soon as I find the files I need). But was curious of a few things. I have read a bit on the new Preloader and it appears to have several similar features as starfall, as well as the region free backup launching capabilities. Now what I am looking for is basically brick protecting from bad wad installs, nothing more. What I want is to just have the brick protection, and to continue using my Launcher channels for backups (gamma channel and rock band channel). So basically I would just like a bit of advice on which route to go for the protection.

Gunfreak11

Trophies
Website
teamvierling.com
XP
Country
United States
Preloader offers you brick protection (LMAO on my first day ive already installed a bad wad!) Thanks to preloader though, I was able to boot into HBC and uninstall the bad wad
smile.gif
It also offers you the ability to skip updates. If you need the system menu files, get the softmii pack and follow it until you do so.

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will look into the SoftMii suggestion. The only thing that I am not liking is I have seen reports of issues with SoftMii such as discs constantly spinning even in standby/off mode, issues with games not running correctly, etc. Of course, in my reading I haven't seen enough to determine if those are true problems with the setup or just ID-10T errors. But thank you for the suggestion, and I am looking into it now. Hopefully it will offer what I want, and have some optional features so I don't have to contend with the auto backup loader in the disk channel or other little issues I have read about.

bluebird12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said that you just want to use your backup channel. There is no need for softmii if you are going to continue using your backup channel. Just get preloader for the most brick protection. Also, Starfall is not totally obsolete. On 3.2 you can use recovery mode and autoboot wad-manager discs to remove bad wads, etc. Unless you are going to be installing health screens and different skins, I think Starfall is fine. I still use gamma channel and starfall.

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is kind of where I am at in deciding, not sure which to go with, preloader or starfall. That and I am going through the several different ways to downgrade (seems like there is more that one way to get the job done.) But you are right, I am not looking to load Backups through the disc channel, as I like my backup loader and to me it just seems easier to deal with.

D

Deleted User

Let me clear things up for you.

There are two ways of downgrading. Both does the same job so there is no "The best".

1)IOS Downgrader + cIOS Downgrader
2)IOS Downgrader + AnyRegion Changer (A bit dangerous if your hands can't stop moving. Cause there is options regarding firmware changing)

Preloader is better than Starfall, plus, it is coded by the same author. Go with Preloader. Need a guide? Head to The Preloader Guide.

Though you want to stick with Gamma, some games WILL NOT run on Gamma, even with Region Forcing and Rebooter.

Softmii is worth a shot, and there's always an IRC channel (#Softmii) to find help.

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Let me clear things up for you.

There are two ways of downgrading. Both does the same job so there is no "The best".

1)IOS Downgrader + cIOS Downgrader
2)IOS Downgrader + AnyRegion Changer (A bit dangerous if your hands can't stop moving. Cause there is options regarding firmware changing)

Preloader is better than Starfall, plus, it is coded by the same author. Go with Preloader. Need a guide? Head to The Preloader Guide.

Though you want to stick with Gamma, some games WILL NOT run on Gamma, even with Region Forcing and Rebooter.

Softmii is worth a shot, and there's always an IRC channel (#Softmii) to find help.

Thank you, that actually helped quite a bit. I just finished downloading the SoftMii pack, and it as was previously stated, comes with just about, if not, everything I need to downgrade and to brick block (preloader). But your information did bring another question to mind. You stated that not all games will run on Gamma (I have only had problems with a handful of games such as Super Mario Galaxy...other games I had issues with were fixed by patching the game to use IOS249). Which leads me to the question, does the backup launcher with Softmii have better compatibility?

D

Deleted User

Softmii isn't a backup launcher. If anything, the backup launcher they're giving is still Gamma, that is needed for games that are patched (Patched games can't be run on Disc Channel).

Softmii has the overall compatibility (Except for patched games, but, you don't need to patch anymore) since it doesn't force the games to use cIOS. Thus, Games that reboots the IOS = Works
smile.gif

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just one last thing on the SoftMii part, make sure you read the guide and that everything installs properly. There's been a few people around lately that will follow a guide, get an error but ignore it, keep going, and then flip out and ask why it doesn't work.

Oh and SoftMii Tweaks in the SoftMii package: Don't use it unless you want to change the systemmenu theme.

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Softmii isn't a backup launcher. If anything, the backup launcher they're giving is still Gamma, that is needed for games that are patched (Patched games can't be run on Disc Channel).

Softmii has the overall compatibility (Except for patched games, but, you don't need to patch anymore) since it doesn't force the games to use cIOS. Thus, Games that reboots the IOS = Works
smile.gif

Ah, I see the distinction. So the games that have issues such as Mario Galaxy will still have issues, but the games that I have to patch like Mortal Kombat will now work w/o the patching. Makes sense. Final question (hopefully) is the backup feature a part of the preloader or CIOSCorp?

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
you know guys this is funny , now if every one of the 150,000 + members that we left the scene for a couple of weeks and came back seeking a personal update for what he have missed in these couple of weeks it will be a nice forum with 10000 page of none sense , please buddy next time you are and any other one is gone for a while and seeking an update on the scene start from this link please and read the stickies first http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=119660 thank and enjoy it
wink.gif

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BIG MOE said:
you know guys this is funny , now if every one of the 150,000 + members that we left the scene for a couple of weeks and came back seeking a personal update for what he have missed in these couple of weeks it will be a nice forum with 10000 page of none sense , please buddy next time you are and any other one is gone for a while and seeking an update on the scene start from this link please and read the stickies first http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=119660 thank and enjoy it
wink.gif

My apologies, my intention is not to "drag down the board" with another "I've been gone awhile posts." Obviously that is what I did, and again, my apologies. But in my defense, the post with with the likes for Newbies hasn't yet been updated with any information pertaining to SoftMii or the Preloader. But I will concede to your point, and request this topic to be binned...or trashed or closed, or whatever your choice is. Again one last time, my apologies.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
jlg6184 said:
BIG MOE said:
wink.gif

My apologies, my intention is not to "drag down the board" with another "I've been gone awhile posts." Obviously that is what I did, and again, my apologies. But in my defense, the post with with the likes for Newbies hasn't yet been updated with any information pertaining to SoftMii or the Preloader. But I will concede to your point, and request this topic to be binned...or trashed or closed, or whatever your choice is. Again on last time, my apologies.
apologies not needed buddy , my point is to get good threads out there for you to get updates without making a new thread for it
wink.gif

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One final question before I start everything. I am fixing to go downgrade now (finally found my sd reader) and have one last question about the IOS's. Will I have to reinstall everything from Gamma 0.3 and Rock Band Launcher after I downgrade, or will those IOSs be untouched by the downgrade?

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks...Just wanted to make sure...I think my instructions calls for running CIOS installer for Preloader/CIOSCorps...and I doubt that would cause any issues either so thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +2