Hacking Question Questions about SX OS and backups

Ian095

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I was thinking of jumping on board with SX OS soon and I have a few questions I hope can be answered or opinions given.

• So the first question is, is it worthwhile getting personal dumps with unique certs if I don't plan to use online features other than for updating?

• If I purchase DLC through my computer browser (that's possible isn't it?) and boot into the original firmware and connect to the internet, will it then be downloaded to the console?

• When the game "backup" via SX OS isn't inserted and isn't currently running is the unique cert stored anywhere or read that could potentially lead to a ban?

• If a cert is banned and you go online without having that game running or connecting online does Nintendo know you're using a banned cert (hypothetically)?

• Say Smash Bros is out, they release DLC and I want said DLC if I connected online purchased it and downloaded it to my console in OFW but the cert is banned, would Nintendo potentially know?

• Say I updated without burning fuses, would the console be able to realize if I booted into OFW? (Might sound dumb but I genuinely don't know for certain).

• Should I create a NAND backup immediately and if so should I restore the NAND before going online every time? Does this affect the game data stored on the console?

I know I would've probably found most of this looking about but some of my questions are specific like I'm open to opinions if no definite answer is available.
My plan was to go into my local shop, buy a game create a backup and use their goodwill return to then return the game to technically have my own dumps, but I've no idea since there is a 99% chance I will never pay for Nintendo's online services to play the games online if it's worthwhile when at most all I'll ever be doing if I connected online is to get game patches/DLC.

Always thought if I got personal dumps now in the future if I did want to play online it would be more than possible, but honestly I never really played online with Nintendo consoles, to begin with even when it was free and I don't think I'd want to pay for Nintendo's online services it just seems like a waste of money to me for something I won't properly make use of. So hey if you guys could answer my questions, more specifically if personal dumps are more worthwhile (regarding DLC etc) that would be great!

Last edited by Ian095,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was thinking of jumping on board with SX OS soon and I have a few questions I hope can be answered or opinions given.

• So the first question is, is it worthwhile getting personal dumps with unique certs if I don't plan to use online features other than for updating?

• If I purchase DLC through my computer browser (that's possible isn't it?) and boot into the original firmware and connect to the internet, will it then be downloaded to the console?

• When the game "backup" via SX OS isn't inserted and isn't currently running is the unique cert stored anywhere or read that could potentially lead to a ban?

• If a cert is banned and you go online without having that game running or connecting online does Nintendo know you're using a banned cert (hypothetically)?

• Say Smash Bros is out, they release DLC and I want said DLC if I connected online purchased it and downloaded it to my console in OFW but the cert is banned, would Nintendo potentially know?

• Say I updated without burning fuses, would the console be able to realize if I booted into OFW? (Might sound dumb but I genuinely don't know for certain).

• Should I create a NAND backup immediately and if so should I restore the NAND before going online every time? Does this affect the game data stored on the console?

I know I would've probably found most of this looking about but some of my questions are specific like I'm open to opinions if no definite answer is available.
My plan was to go into my local shop, buy a game create a backup and use their goodwill return to then return the game to technically have my own dumps, but I've no idea since there is a 99% chance I will never pay for Nintendo's online services to play the games online if it's worthwhile when at most all I'll ever be doing if I connected online is to get game patches/DLC.

Always thought if I got personal dumps now in the future if I did want to play online it would be more than possible, but honestly I never really played online with Nintendo consoles, to begin with even when it was free and I don't think I'd want to pay for Nintendo's online services it just seems like a waste of money to me for something I won't properly make use of. So hey if you guys could answer my questions, more specifically if personal dumps are more worthwhile (regarding DLC etc) that would be great!
Firstly, I need to quote this so I don't have to scroll all the way back up and down to answer all your questions XD. Secondly...
  1. You don't need certificates for updating. Whether or not its safer to update with them is unclear. What I can say is that people have been banned for using their own legitimate backups in SX OS so tread carefully
  2. You can do this so long as your account is not banned. Even if your account is banned, simply select "Update Download Progress" from Users on your console after buying the DLC from their website using your Nintendo Account to download it
  3. See #1
  4. Good question. Unfortunately, we do not know enough about what Nintendo sees so if you don't plan to use a certificate, it might be better to not use one. But they might see that there is no certificate which in of itself may not be safe. Its a treachery slope to say the least
  5. You don't need a certificate to download DLC as DLC is tied to the console and not the game
  6. This one I have a good answer to. If you update without burning fuses, you must be using a bootloader that bypasses the fuse check. These are SX OS V1.2 and Hekate. Hekate mimics the Switch bootloader pretty well and is undetectable currently. SX OS on the other hand, according to CTCaer, does not properly mimic the Switch bootloader. This could explain why people are banned for using SX OS only and not Hekate, but that's speculation
  7. If you are going to be using a NAND backup to mitigate being banned, its recommended it be made before doing any hacks on your console. The minimum hacking required to do that is running Hekate and Hekate alone has not caused a ban (yet). However, in doing so, you lose all game data made to the console after the backup was made so I would recommend backing that up as well

Ian095

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I need to quote this so I don't have to scroll all the way back up and down to answer all your questions XD. Secondly...
  1. You don't need certificates for updating. Whether or not its safer to update with them is unclear. What I can say is that people have been banned for using their own legitimate backups in SX OS so tread carefully
  2. You can do this so long as your account is not banned. Even if your account is banned, simply select "Update Download Progress" from Users on your console after buying the DLC from their website using your Nintendo Account to download it
  3. See #1
  4. Good question. Unfortunately, we do not know enough about what Nintendo sees so if you don't plan to use a certificate, it might be better to not use one. But they might see that there is no certificate which in of itself may not be safe. Its a treachery slope to say the least
  5. You don't need a certificate to download DLC as DLC is tied to the console and not the game
  6. This one I have a good answer to. If you update without burning fuses, you must be using a bootloader that bypasses the fuse check. These are SX OS V1.2 and Hekate. Hekate mimics the Switch bootloader pretty well and is undetectable currently. SX OS on the other hand, according to CTCaer, does not properly mimic the Switch bootloader. This could explain why people are banned for using SX OS only and not Hekate, but that's speculation
  7. If you are going to be using a NAND backup to mitigate being banned, its recommended it be made before doing any hacks on your console. The minimum hacking required to do that is running Hekate and Hekate alone has not caused a ban (yet). However, in doing so, you lose all game data made to the console after the backup was made so I would recommend backing that up as well

Thank you! I might just outsource backups online then since it's more convenient.
Let's just hope if I update I don't get caught but I have read devmenu can install updates & DLC, depending on how easy they are to obtain...
Guessing having a NAND backup is only really useful in case of a brick or wanting to play legit backups online then.
Guessing if you update without burning fuses you can't boot into OFW then (unless say using SX OS to do so??), I'll keep that in mind.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I might just outsource backups online then since it's more convenient.
Let's just hope if I update I don't get caught but I have read devmenu can install updates & DLC, depending on how easy they are to obtain...
Guessing having a NAND backup is only really useful in case of a brick or wanting to play legit backups online then.
Guessing if you update without burning fuses you can't boot into OFW then (unless say using SX OS to do so??), I'll keep that in mind.
DevMenu can,
Like I said no one has been banned yet so it might serve a second purpose that people don't use until the console's death and,
You must boot into either SX OS or Hekate, not pure OFW (you can still select OFW from either bootloader).

Reactions: Ian095
D

Deleted-19228

3. See #1

"What I can say is that people have been banned for using their own legitimate backups in SX OS so tread carefully"

Has there been ACTUAL proof of this or just random people claiming this is happening to them? I have heard the opposite with self-dumped games not causing bans.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What I can say is that people have been banned for using their own legitimate backups in SX OS so tread carefully"

Has there been ACTUAL proof of this or just random people claiming this is happening to them? I have heard the opposite with self-dumped games not causing bans.
Yes and I've talked to them extensively and they're members trusted by this community. Check my spreadsheet, their names are indeed their and you can PM them to ask for further details. And they have proof too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show