Questions About N3DS CFW Setup

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RastaJedi, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RastaJedi
    OP

RastaJedi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2016
    United States
    I have two possibly basic question I want to ask. In guides for Rxtools setup, they tell you to place ReiNAND's firmware.bin in the 'rxtools/data' folder. In other guides (it seems if they have you do one, they don't have you do the other), they have you first launch PastaCFW on SysNAND (before even setting up EmuNAND/CFW) to "patch system signature checks". Can someone explain to me what both of these steps are for? Mostly the ReiNAND's firmware.bin step, because I'm not sure why you would use a file from ReiNAND if you are going to install Rxtools, and also because the guide I think I'm going to use doesn't mention PastaCFW at all, but it says 'for good measure get ReiNAND's firmware.bin and place in rxtools/data', but it also says 'Rename to 0004013820000002.bin if using the Nightly or rename to 0004013820000002orig.bin if using the alternate version'. I'm not sure what any of this is. I think that maybe this guide pertains to older Rxtools versions (i.e., not 3.0, because it has you place rxtools's firmware.bin in 'rxtools/sys', and I think this is only for Rxtools below 3.0), I think for now, I'm going to first install Rxtools 3.0, and then maybe try out ReiNAND afterwards. I really can't find the perfect guide for what I'm trying to do, as I am hesitant to try the one that mentions doing something with PastaCFW (mostly because I don't see why this is necessary). Please someone just help me with all of the confusion!

EDIT: After checking the guide more, I don't think it's for older rxtools versions. I'm so confused, because all of these guides are so conflicting.

Last edited by RastaJedi, Jan 15, 2016
  2. RastaJedi
    OP

RastaJedi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2016
    United States
    Another thing I want to know about is this slot0x25keyx.bin file. It seems ReiNAND doesn't need this, but Rxtools does, yet this guide for rxtools doesn't even mention it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

After further digging, I think they only have you use ReiNAND's firmware.bin because Rxtools needs a firmware.bin to run, and ReiNAND's works just fine (alternatively can use the Python or other methods to get another one, or actually, they are probably the same, aren't they? since it says ReiNAND has firmware.bin built in).

EDIT: Still not sure what the 0004013820000002orig.bin is all about, because some guides don't say to rename to that. Also even more confusion because the same guide that says get ReiNAND's firmware.bin and rename it to that 0000... file and place it in rxtools/data also says get a firmware9.5.bin file and rename it to firmware.bin and place it in rxtools/sys. This is so very confusing, I would like to know what actually needs to be done (and why), and would like to not have to take steps that I don't need to (for instance, I'm going to try to not do anything with the slot0x25keyx file because a lot of these guides don't even mention it.

EDIT 2: I think the PastaCFW part is just to install a CIA manager on SysNAND. But the guide I'm mostly following doesn't mention anything about PastaCFW. Sorry about all of this, I'm just so confused.

EDIT 3: The guide doesn't mention Pasta because it links to another thread for how to inject FBI CIA, and this guide assumes a CFW is already set up. I'm guessing the other guides just chose Pasta because it's the easiest way to inject the CIA (by 'patching signatures' and not actually fully installing a CFW)?

EDIT 4: Now I'm seeing that if I were to use the cdn_firm.py to obtain the firmware.bin file from Nintendo's CDN, it will actually go in 'rxtools/firm'. So what is the story? Why are there firmware files in rxtools/sys, rxtools/data, and rxtools/firm? I think only the one in sys is 'firmware.bin (this is from a 'firmware9.5.bin file? what is that file?) and the one with the 000... name, that I think is the one that goes in the data or firm folders is the 3DS's actual firmware from CDN?

EDIT 5: I think I've figured at least one thing out, i think the 'rxtools/firm' is for O3DS while 'rxtools/data' is for N3DS. Still unsure of the 'firmware.bin' file for 'rxtools/sys'. Actually maybe not, because I just found a guide that's CFW for N3DS specifically, and it's telling me to put it in the 'firm' folder (firmware9.5 renamed to firmware.bin). So confused! One thread specifically says O3DS has rxtools/system/firmware.bin and N3DS has rxtools/data/000....bin, but mentions nothing about rxtools/firm. Is that folder just for older versions of rxtools...? Someone on /r/3dshacks in a post only 9 days ago says they used latest rxtools nightly and are using 'rxtools/firm/000....bin' and it's working.

EDIT 6: I found this quote in some guide "The new 3ds needs a (encrypted, so ReiNAND's won't work) 9.5 firmware.bin. This isn't available from Nintendo's servers anymore, so you will have to hunt it down yourself." Is that what the difference betweeen the 000... file and the firmware9.5.bin renamed to firmware.bin is? Do I need both?

EDIT 7: Okay. I think all I have to do is get the ReiNAND's firmware.bin and make it 'rxtools/data/000....bin' and don't bother with any firmware9.5.bin or anything in rxtools/sys. Correct me if I'm wrong. I still would like to know what all the differences and what the 'firm' folder are for though.

Last edited by RastaJedi, Jan 15, 2016