Questions about LED backlit screens

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by mflo, Jan 20, 2009.

Jan 20, 2009
  1. mflo
    OP

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So I was looking at the customization options for the Dell Studio XPS 13, and noticed that the LED backlit screen was more expensive. Why is that? I thought that LEDs were supposed to be cheaper.

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I think it just saves more battery, and gives better colour

3. mflo
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I understand that. I guess it has to do with manufacturing; since LEDs for now only emit one color, so they have to produce backlights with the individual LEDs for the color.

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    What?

Do backlights even need to emit more than one color? Isn't having white enough? Is there even such a thing as a non-white backlight?

5. mflo
    OP

United States
    I kinda forgot I was talking about LCD screens with LED backlights behind them. lol. I started thinking about another type of screen, my bad.

6. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    led backlights use 3 different colour leds a diffusion plastic

7. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Its probably referring to Organic LED's as opposed to old style LED's. OLED is really brand new technology, the first OLED television was made by Sony last year, was 10 inches and cost a fortune, the equivalent of a 40" 1080p plasma. Ive seen laptops with OLED displays, like the Macbook air, and yes it saves battery and has a much more vibrant rich display then normal LCD TFT displays.

More info on OLED here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode

Edit: heres a link to that TV I was talking about. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665327724

8. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    well....... I am not sure what you are talking about specifically, the are two things it could be

1) OLED display, a display comprising entirely of millions of tiny LEDs
    2) LED backlit LCD, this is a normal LCD, but instead of a florescent backlight, it has hundreds of LEDs, this saves power, and allows the backlight to be dimmed locally to get "blacker blacks"