[Question] When to use 8-,16-, and 32-bit search when looking values?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Jan Tan, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Jan Tan
    OP

Jan Tan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    Canada
    What are the differences between the three searches when looking for cheats? I always use the 32-bit successfully when playing MHX, Yokai watch, etc.

(PS. Please move thread if posted in wrong board)

2. artur3004

artur3004 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 31, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I'm asking this question myself, too.
    I want to find the value for the timer in SSB 3DS (EUR) for the Smash run - would be nice to run through the map with some extra time! But I don't even know how to look after a value that is formated as time - pls helpme too

3. c4388354

c4388354 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    United States
    8 bit if the maximum/minimum value is between 0 and 255 (unsigned) or -127 and +128 (signed) (usually used for lives and item amounts etc)
    16 bit if maximum/minimum value is between 0 and 65536 (or -32767 and 32768) (usually used for health/hit points/character stats? etc)
    32 bit if maximum/minimum value is between 0 and 4 billion (or -2 billion and +2 billion) (usually used for money and other big values etc)

edit: for time values, best to use a 'less then / greater then' search with a 32bit value.
    first, you'd do an initial search, go back to game, let timer run down a few seconds
    go back to menu and do a less then search, go back to game, run down timer a bit more
    and repeat the less then search until you find a hit, sometimes it might not work.
    If you run out of time, have the game reset the timer back to a higher number, then you'll
    need to do a 'greater then' search the FIRST time only, (as you will have MORE time then
    when you did the previous search), then go back to doing a 'less then' search.

Tried messing around with SSB 3D Europe in smash run,
    I did a unsigned 32bit value search as initial search, and did what i said above.
    Found that offset 330F10AC stores the timer in seconds, edit that offset and the timer set to 9:59.99,
    (at time of search, game time left was 4:42.xx seconds, (4*60+42 = 282, in hex thats 11A)
    (edit: Seems the offset changes each time you load a stage..)

Code:
    http://i.imgur.com/zvXsTRX.jpg

Last edited by c4388354, Dec 29, 2015
    DesuIsSparta and Jan Tan like this.
  4. Jan Tan
    OP

Jan Tan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    Canada
    This is great! Thanks a lot! My question is answered.