Hacking Question to hackers

jteteabagg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey fellas !! I’m used to coding and used to modify applications dependencies but since USB drives were born I’ve never messed around DVD-DVD-BR drives so I’m kinda noob @ they interact with sw.. I remember back then with the first Xbox DVD’s were burned backwards so a sw could be made to simulate an oem disc .. what’s different now ? How can Microsoft or Sony can make a game disc recognized by their console and we can’t ? Why modders are creating CFW instead of an application able to burn legit like medias?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never seen the backwards thing apply to the xbox before, normally get that one for the gamecube. Equally the mods to the original xbox were BIOS replacements to allow custom kernels (or hacks to get to said kernels) that ignore the DVD checks.

Usual ways for off the shelf burners to not do it is they will have a lead in burners are purposely made to omit, probably some apparent bad sectors and similar such things.

On older systems there might have been a complex read protocol (have a look at the Saturn's one if you are bored), however with newer ones with a hypervisor/kernel running at all times in the background it is basically the same as changing a drive letter/directory path.

People favour USB and drives because it is free, often faster (30 megs a second for USB2.0, internal hard drive more so, random reads for both are off the charts better, 2x blu ray is 9 megs a second sequential read) and reusable (BD media and DL dvds are/were fairly pricey).

Custom firmwares are made because as well as being able to play copied games and from USB you are able to dodge region locks (though there are not many for the PS3), have homebrew, have hacked games/cheats, pirate DLC and downloadable games, not have to get up to change the disc. Depending upon where the checks come from it might also be easier to do a CFW than make the drive not check properly -- the 360 notably checked games on its dvd drive, and did not check the firmware of the DVD drive so custom firmwares for that got made before the likes of JTAG and RGH got made and allowed all the onboard fun, however if it all happens inside the system and the optical drive is somewhat dumb then you tend to want to attack the system.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended