[Question] Snake Eater 3D framerate unlock

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Triforce141, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Triforce141
    OP

Triforce141 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    United States
    Seeing as how MGS: Peace Walker on the PSP had codes that would increase the framerate cap from 20 to 30, wouldn't it be technically possible to do the same to Snake Eater 3D and NTR firmware?

It would make the game much better / smoother to play imo.

2. jaksy

jaksy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Has there been confirmation of a framerate hardcap?
    Unless the framerate is hardcapped, as this game was released before the N3DS I'd imagine it may be possible to increase the frame through Hans.
    Have you or anyone tried this first before resorting to considering cheat codes?

3. Triforce141
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    United States
    I tested it through HANS, the overclock only provides a steadier 20fps, no increase to 30.

4. Triforce141
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    United States
    -Double Post: delete this please-

Last edited by Triforce141, Feb 2, 2016
  5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I think it's hard capped, when I run it at 804Mhz via NTR, the framerate doesn't seem to improve.

6. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Uhhhh...I am sort of ignorant in this type of thing, but I'm going to say it anyways. Would the N3DS even be able to handle that, at 20FPS (Like you're saying)? There has been multiple reports of extreme lag during boss fights, etc, so would it really be safe for the N3DS to even try to do that? It dips from 20!

Edit: Ninja'd~ did too much research.

7. Triforce141
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    United States
    HANS only provides a more steady framerate, no increase to 30 whatsoever, I know that.

But like I said, Peace Walker on PSP had codes to make the game run at 30fps. And when you put the system CPU to overclock (which was at 333mhz btw), it would be fairly smooth.

Snake Eater would be a similar case, but would have little to no drops with the clock speed the New 3DS has (804mhz). I'm just wondering if codes are possible for this game.

Last edited by Triforce141, Feb 2, 2016
  8. jaksy

jaksy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Granted I haven't used the NTR cheat system at all, I don't see why it wouldn't be theoretically possible.
    In such cases where the entire system was unable to keep up to it, yes the framerate would dip, but in scenes of low motion the framerate should theoretically be cable of being forced to speed up.

Assuming cheats and the engine both handle changes to the framerate cap adjustments similar to how it would be on other platforms and games, I don't see why it would be impossible.

The game as a whole does seem so poorly optimized that it'd be unlikely to see much of an overall performance increase by forcing a change to the framerate cap though.

If anything I imagine it'd make the changes and dips in framerates MORE noticable.
    This is an intruging question, but it's probably better proposed to a game that would have a greater benefit from the uncapping of a capped engine framerate.

DKB likes this.