Question Regarding Purchasing A 3DS From Stores Like Wal-Mart.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Merch, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Merch
    OP

Merch Tutorial God, Apparently.

Banned
    Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Music Park, Mushroom Kingdom
    So, the title is pretty much self-explanatory, but I'd like to elaborate, because it kind of perplexes me about this topic:

I know that when you purchase a 3DS, & boot it up for the first time, it has a firmware it's on that you potentially need to update. My question is, if you were to buy a store bought 3DS (let's use a n3DS bought in the August - October range, for example), would it automatically be on the latest firmware, or would it be on a firmware before it? I don't know how the whole process works, & I could probably be completely wrong, but I'd like to know more about what would happen if you did buy one of these.

2. Returnofganon

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Well depends on when they were shipped in. Im not 100% sure but it is better to grab the 3ds's from the back of the display case as they have been at the store the longest (presumably). If you know a 3ds has been there a while or a new update came out like a week or so ago you would be fine

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Or you could buy one with a hackable firmware from online ;)

3. Merch
    OP

Merch Tutorial God, Apparently.

Banned
    Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Music Park, Mushroom Kingdom
    That makes sense. I asked this question because I saw a thread one time listing some certain codes to note when buying a 3DS that signify the firmware you might get. I don't know if that's true, but I kinda wanna know more about that.

4. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    There are reddit posts and gbatemp posts desrcibing the serial number and whether they have IPS or TN screens, as well as FW.

In my case (Hyrule gold), my serial number wasn't listed, but got dual-IPS and was on 9.9.
    I got frankenware'd, but this was before I knew you could re-install 9.2 to resolve that issue.

I'd suggest researching and cross-refrencing serial numbers, then, carefully read your recipt, should the worst occur.