Hacking Question Regarding Launcher.Dat

XpertXP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So reading this tweet from Gateway, does that mean using an R4i or another clone card and using the Launcher.DAT that is available on the Gateway-3ds website we should be safe from bricking?
Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 9.40.58 AM.png

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
No, they're lying. Use 2.0B1 and under to be safe from bricking.

Hopefully the 2.0 Final will not contain a bricking code (Whenever it's actually released).

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's the first time they deny the brick code. A bit late :ph34r: They have been proven wrong already through the peoples, which work on the unbrick solutions.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
No. Unfortunately. There have been several reported bricks using the official launcher.dat.

Either Gateway are lying about malicious code OR there is incompetent code OR there is a bad batch of gateway cards (maybe not even restricted to one batch, might be random due poor tolerances in the factory) and it is hardware issue causing the official Gateway bricks.

The third option is unlikely - since NOBODY has reported a brick with below 2.02b launcher.dat

I think incompetent code is most likely - although deliberate bricking code is not ruled out (and the majority of the 3DS hacker community agree on this one) eg. they might have been sloppy in the routine which makes sure it doesn't run on official gateway firmware.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's the first time they deny the brick code. A bit late :ph34r: They have been proven wrong already through the peoples, which work on the unbrick solutions.
That, or they're implying that it's not malicious because it can (according to them) never trigger. It's still not a perfectly clear answer.
Edit: never mind apparently it's not real? lol

xextil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

That twitter account is fake. From their website:

Team Gateway will EXCLUSIVELY communicate about news/update/info on our official website here or via our official email [email protected]
Anything different such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, other emails etc. is not coming from Team Gateway. Watch out for fake accounts/scammers!

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The official Gateway files contain no malicious code" = lie of the century.
A number of high profile modders (such as neimod) already confirmed its existence.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys that twitter account is fake. Stop getting mad at gateway for something they didn't do. (Not saying they didn't implement malicious code, I'm saying they didn't tweet that.)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
D

Deleted User

"The official Gateway files contain no malicious code" = lie of the century.
A number of high profile modders (such as neimod) already confirmed its existence.

It was also reported that a fake Neimod account has posted that information here on GBATemp. Neimod himself (the real one) said so on IRC.

Lol, so many fake accounts.. Sure adds to the confusion :unsure:

Edit: MAybe it is the Chinese mafia behind all these fake accounts? :tpi:

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
No, they didn't actually. They said "there is no bricking [when using unmodified files]", NOT "there is no bricking code". It still turned out to be not true but they still haven't flat out denied bricking code being there AFAIK.

Well reply #2 was a bit more definite - "it never happened" ( in reply to 2nd: Reassure the users that it will never happen again and no bricking code will EVER be implemented in your products.)

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
It was also reported that a fake Neimod account has posted that information here on GBATemp. Neimod himself (the real one) said so on IRC.

Lol, so many fake accounts.. Sure adds to the confusion :unsure:

Edit: MAybe it is the Chinese mafia behind all these fake accounts? :tpi:

Neimod's account was a recent one - so pretty obviously fake - I called him on it and he never posted since

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm using 2.02b with no GateWay, no R4i, no 3DSLink, No MT-Card. Just Gateways unmodified (No region free patch) Launcher.dat, for the purposes of EmuNAND. So far I've done several reboot and re-exploits with no problem. If I get a brick with the only flashcart I have being the DSTwo, then I'd say that rules out "only clones have problems, or modified launchers."

Disclaimer: I'm not saying 2.02b is safe or it doesn't have brick code, but so far I personally have had no trouble. If I do, I've got my NAND backup and a soldering iron.

Reactions: Technicmaster0

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well, I'm using 2.02b with no GateWay, no R4i, no 3DSLink, No MT-Card. Just Gateways unmodified (No region free patch) Launcher.dat, for the purposes of EmuNAND. So far I've done several reboot and re-exploits with no problem. If I get a brick with the only flashcart I have being the DSTwo, then I'd say that rules out "only clones have problems, or modified launchers."

Disclaimer: I'm not saying 2.02b is safe or it doesn't have brick code, but so far I personally have had no trouble. If I do, I've got my NAND backup and a soldering iron.
and a arduino or raspberry pi? you would need one of them too :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: