Question Regarding Launcher.Dat

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by XpertXP1, Jan 31, 2014.

1. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    So reading this tweet from Gateway, does that mean using an R4i or another clone card and using the Launcher.DAT that is available on the Gateway-3ds website we should be safe from bricking? Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 9.40.58 AM.png

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The official firmware won't work on clones. Also, that tweet is most likely a lie.

3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    No, they're lying. Use 2.0B1 and under to be safe from bricking.

Hopefully the 2.0 Final will not contain a bricking code (Whenever it's actually released).

4. profi200

profi200 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2011
    Gambia, The
    That's the first time they deny the brick code. A bit late :ph34r: They have been proven wrong already through the peoples, which work on the unbrick solutions.

5. escherbach

escherbach GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    No. Unfortunately. There have been several reported bricks using the official launcher.dat.

Either Gateway are lying about malicious code OR there is incompetent code OR there is a bad batch of gateway cards (maybe not even restricted to one batch, might be random due poor tolerances in the factory) and it is hardware issue causing the official Gateway bricks.

The third option is unlikely - since NOBODY has reported a brick with below 2.02b launcher.dat

I think incompetent code is most likely - although deliberate bricking code is not ruled out (and the majority of the 3DS hacker community agree on this one) eg. they might have been sloppy in the routine which makes sure it doesn't run on official gateway firmware.

6. escherbach

Dec 26, 2013
    the tweet is from 21 Jan

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    That, or they're implying that it's not malicious because it can (according to them) never trigger. It's still not a perfectly clear answer.
    Edit: never mind apparently it's not real? lol

8. xextil

xextil Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2007
    That twitter account is fake. From their website:

9. profi200

profi200 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Yeah, if they mean this, then they lie 100%. All the bricks with legit GWs are not accidents.

Ah, i did not know.

10. spinner09

spinner09 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    "The official Gateway files contain no malicious code" = lie of the century.
    A number of high profile modders (such as neimod) already confirmed its existence.

11. escherbach

Dec 26, 2013
  12. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Guys that twitter account is fake. Stop getting mad at gateway for something they didn't do. (Not saying they didn't implement malicious code, I'm saying they didn't tweet that.)

13. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    *sigh*

http://gateway-3ds.com/contacts.html

14. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    No, they didn't actually. They said "there is no bricking [when using unmodified files]", NOT "there is no bricking code". It still turned out to be not true but they still haven't flat out denied bricking code being there AFAIK.

15. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    ^^^

Yep, they're completely avoiding answering those questions directly.

16. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso

It was also reported that a fake Neimod account has posted that information here on GBATemp. Neimod himself (the real one) said so on IRC.

Lol, so many fake accounts.. Sure adds to the confusion :unsure:

Edit: MAybe it is the Chinese mafia behind all these fake accounts? :tpi:

17. escherbach

Dec 26, 2013
    Well reply #2 was a bit more definite - "it never happened" ( in reply to 2nd: Reassure the users that it will never happen again and no bricking code will EVER be implemented in your products.)

18. escherbach

Dec 26, 2013
    Neimod's account was a recent one - so pretty obviously fake - I called him on it and he never posted since

19. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Well, I'm using 2.02b with no GateWay, no R4i, no 3DSLink, No MT-Card. Just Gateways unmodified (No region free patch) Launcher.dat, for the purposes of EmuNAND. So far I've done several reboot and re-exploits with no problem. If I get a brick with the only flashcart I have being the DSTwo, then I'd say that rules out "only clones have problems, or modified launchers."

Disclaimer: I'm not saying 2.02b is safe or it doesn't have brick code, but so far I personally have had no trouble. If I do, I've got my NAND backup and a soldering iron.

Technicmaster0 likes this.
  20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    and a arduino or raspberry pi? you would need one of them too :D