Homebrew [Question] microSDHC Help

gault_timothy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm running CFW and want to purchase a larger microSDHC, can I simply copy my current microSDHC contents over to the new card without breaking anything (i.e. Homebrew, freeShop, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your help!

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If I'm running CFW and want to purchase a larger microSDHC, can I simply copy my current microSDHC contents over to the new card without breaking anything (i.e. Homebrew, freeShop, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your help!
I copied all the files from my old 8GB card to a 16GB card and everything worked normally

Reactions: gault_timothy

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your SD card isn't tied to your 3DS. As long as the SD card has the same files, any SD card will work. And your SD card isn't magically different now that your 3DS is hacked. An SD card is always just an SD card. Copying the files to another SD card will do.

Reactions: gault_timothy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch out for fake cards if you buy online especially on eBay. Use h2testw to test ALL your cards, even if you don't suspect it's a fake. You never know.

Use guiformat for 64 GB and larger if you're a windows users. You may have to quick format with Windows File Explorer in NTFS first before quick formatting FAT32 in guiformat to get the program to work. Depending on how old the version is, Mac OSX is known to incorrectly format cards in FAT32. Linux should be fine.

Also, you might run into issues if you go into SDXC size territory. 128 GB and above can run slow loading up HOME Menu and more prone to game stuttering when formatted with 32 KB cluster size. You can mitigate these by freshly formatting 64 KB if 32 KB is giving you those problems. Do not use MiniTool Partition to change allocation size going from 32 KB to 64 KB, vice versa, without copying everything off and reformatting completely. Also, AGB_FIRM (GBA Virtual Console) and TWLoader (nds bootstrap) are not always compatible with 64 KB. It doesn't happen to everyone, but you can get graphical glitches using 64 KB. Pros & Cons.

In case you mess up big time not following the advice of avoiding MiniTool Partition cluster size changer because of laziness or curiosity, copy everything off the card and nuke it with SD Memory Card Formatter.

Lastly, check my signature for a good year round micro SDXC deal. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: more of a platinum guy myself personally