Hacking [Question] Many arms9loaderhax CFW questions.

andzalot55

I'm very delicious. mmmm.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[I try to make this as professional as possible.]

So I've been wondering with arms' cfw with how people in the community how it is great and much better than using CFWs' like RxTools and how it is outdated, and other great positive feedback from it. I thought to myself for a while and I would like to give it a shot; switching from RxTools to arms' cfw (AuReiNAND.)

Problem is, I know little to none about it so I have many questions; some noobish and some none noobish questions (unless all of my questions were noobish.)

I just want to be sure with my decision; I don't want to regret it in any way possible.

What I have:
  • Nintendo 2DS: sysNAND 9.2.0-U, emuNAND 10.7-U (RxTools)
  • NANDS are unlinked (unlinked them by formatting sysNAND)
  • sysNAND is backed up
  • Homebrew; through menuhax
Questions:
  1. What is the best/current guide to follow for noobs installing arms' cfw?
  2. When I have everything set up (having arms, and AuReiNAND installed), what are the do's and don'ts? (Do I still have to update through System Settings?, etc.)
  3. How does arms work? Does it switch the NANDs' system between emuNAND and sysNAND?
  4. I've tried to install TWL_Firm on my system but never got it to work; tried using a Gateway blue card and it didn't work. I have heard that people with AuReiNAND has made their Gateway blue card work but is this guaranteed?
Please answer this as best as you can, and please don't post any comments that relates to "Look it up on Google" 'cause there are so many threads about arms' cfw, and I have no idea where to start.

Last edited by andzalot55,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
First off, arm9loaderhax is not a CFW, but rather and entry point / CFW launcher if you will. It launches the CFW at console boot quickly or any other payload. As of now there are 2 CFW that support it: AuReiNand and Cakes.

What is the best/current guide to follow for noobs installing arms' cfw?

This one.

When I have everything set up (having arms, and AuReiNAND installed), what are the do's and don'ts? (Do I still have to update through System Settings?, etc.)

It's advisable to update it that way, yes. Aside from that, pretty much works as having a CFW the old way. Don't boot without the SD card, and keep your OTP file(s) safe, and is always a good idea to save a NAND backup.

How does arms work? Does it switch the NANDs' system between emuNAND and sysNAND?

It can boot sysNAND directly, as the guide tells you to and most people do. Can also boot EmuNAND but it is not required nor brings any advantage, unless you want to have two profiles on the console or so.

Last edited by pustal,

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In the linked guide's Getting Started section, it says if you already have an EmuNAND installed, you should just set MenuHax to Type 1 with the trigger as D-pad down, and then start with Part 4.

As far as updating, if you decide to use Cakes FW, you must must must make sure to have Block Firm Partition patch checked. Otherwise you will brick when you update.

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck if you already have an EmuNAND installed. I'm saying this because my downgrade would constantly fail because I started on part 4 and had no modifications to my EmuNAND like some people tried telling me I did and it was causing the failing.

If I was you? I'd back up my game saves using JKSM and copy them over to your PC and just restart everything from the beginning of Plailect's guide as it's a sure proof way to make sure everything will go smoothly. That's what I had to do in order to get everything in working order when I turned my into A9LH last night.

Last edited by DarkenedMatter,
Reactions: Quantumcat

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I started on Part 4 with both an O3DS and a N3DS. Downgrade, getting OTP, upgrade went without a hitch on the first try.

That said, I had/have Cakes on both, whether or not that made a difference.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Good luck if you already have an EmuNAND installed. I'm saying this because my downgrade would constantly fail because I started on part 4 and has no modifications to my EmuNAND like some people tried telling me was causing the failing.

If I was you? I'd back up my game saves using JKSM and copy them over to your PC and just restart everything from the beginning of Plailect's guide as it's a sure proof way to make sure everything will go smoothly. That's what I had to do in order to get everything in working order when I turned my into A9LH last night.

I started on Part 4 with both an O3DS and a N3DS. Downgrade, getting OTP, upgrade went without a hitch on the first try.

That said, I had/have Cakes on both, whether or not that made a difference.

Same here, downgraded, went through the process starting on part 4 on two old 3DS's without a problem.

Also, the guide finishes by restoring an EmuNAND backup, there should be no need to backup saves individually.

darkfuturez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same here, downgraded, went through the process starting on part 4 on two old 3DS's without a problem.

Also, the guide finishes by restoring an EmuNAND backup, there should be no need to backup saves individually.

I just installed a9lh yesterday, and I lost my gba saves for some reason.

andzalot55

I'm very delicious. mmmm.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the response everyone but I have one question, I remember reading somewhere about Gateway red card and it may not work with this? Is it true? If so, why is that?

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the response everyone but I have one question, I remember reading somewhere about Gateway red card and it may not work with this? Is it true? If so, why is that?

Gateway may not work with A9LH?
It works, you have to boot into a 9.0~9.2 NAND with 9.0 NATIVE_FIRM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)