Homebrew [Question] HowTO getting started with Homebrew Development?

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey Guys,

I developed some applications and small games on PC already and now I want to develop something for the Nintendo 3DS.
I thought I try to develop a small, simple Homebrewgame but I don't know how to getting started with it.
Which Languages are supported on the 3DS?
Can I use Imagefiles (png/bmp/jpg) and music(mp3, wav) for a homebrew?
Which IDE is the best for developing Homebrews for the 3dS?
Thank you

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rinnegatamante made a Lua engine, it can run wav, binary images, and more.

The main language is C / C++.

Someone else made a SDL engine.

I'm assuming you know how to compile. Start by getting devkiPro and start building your app in the libctru folder.

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
For 3DS you can write homebrews in C/C++ through devkitARM + libctru or in LUA through lpp-3ds.
For C/C++ developing there aren't ready-to-use libraries for Images and Musics but you can find codes which loads any kind of files as multiplatform libraries and then port them.
For LUA developing, you can load JPG/BMP/PNG images, JPGV/BMPV videos and WAV musics.

For what IDE you have to use is a personal choice.
Me personally, i use no IDE and i write codes with Notepad++ (both C/C++ and LUA) and for compiling C/C++ codes i use a simple cmd instance.

Reactions: ChrisX930

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For 3DS you can write homebrews in C/C++ through devkitARM + libctru or in LUA through lpp-3ds.
For C/C++ developing there aren't ready-to-use libraries for Images and Musics but you can find codes which loads any kind of files as multiplatform libraries and then port them.
For LUA developing, you can load JPG/BMP/PNG images, JPGV/BMPV videos and WAV musics.

For what IDE you have to use is a personal choice.
Me personally, i use no IDE and i write codes with Notepad++ (both C/C++ and LUA) and for compiling C/C++ codes i use a simple cmd instance.

Thank you :) I'll keep it in mind and learn to use devkitARM + libctru :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1