SpectralSounds

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I have had the R4 for over a year now and it has worked flawlessly for me... Never had an issue with it. Only problem I have is that I would like to be able to use a bigger memcard.

I am going to be buying another DS and Slot1 card, because my wife has kind of taken over mine. I want to know if you guys have any suggestions on what new card I should get. From what I understand, the CycloDS and the DSTT are the two best choices apart from the R4?

I was going to just get another R4 because I know how well they work, but I would really like to be able to get 4 gigs of stuff onto my card instead of having to move games and other stuff around all the time on the memcard.

Anyway... What do you guys suggest?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
first thing is to research the compatibility: http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/Main_Pag...bility_lists.29. After that I wouldn't ask in forums but instead search forums for information relating to issues with the cards your curious about. I would read the gbatemp reviews and check the official websites to see how quickly they update firmware and the like. one killer for me right now is how the m3 team has stopped hosting downloads and they killed their official forum, while the cyclods forum has quick support and provides help to its users. there is a bunch of great wikis related to pocketgaming and you should google and hit every one!

-aw

woody0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well i myself have never used either the DSTT or the cycloDS but from what iv seen down the local market, the only difference between the R4 and the DSTT is that the DSTT can take a 4GB mem card otherwise its just an R4

FaRReR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
first thing is to research the compatibility: http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/Main_Pag...bility_lists.29. After that I wouldn't ask in forums but instead search forums for information relating to issues with the cards your curious about. I would read the gbatemp reviews and check the official websites to see how quickly they update firmware and the like. one killer for me right now is how the m3 team has stopped hosting downloads and they killed their official forum, while the cyclods forum has quick support and provides help to its users. there is a bunch of great wikis related to pocketgaming and you should google and hit every one!

-aw
In fact, the admin killed the forum cause he was a lazy ********.
New forums: m3-forums.net

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SpectralSounds said:
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up ordering CycloDS and an 8 gig sdhc.
Um, I think that anything over 4 GB is a waste. Since games avergae like 64 MB each, you're going to need a lot of games. You can't possibly play many of them for a while. Like for a PSP, sure the games are pretty big, so lioke larger memory cards are fine. But I'm sure that 4 GB's will be fine; lots of room already. I have only 2 gigs, and still have like 500 MB left, and I think I have a fair number of games and media and stuff like that.

SpectralSounds

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkAura said:
SpectralSounds said:
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up ordering CycloDS and an 8 gig sdhc.
Um, I think that anything over 4 GB is a waste. Since games avergae like 64 MB each, you're going to need a lot of games. You can't possibly play many of them for a while. Like for a PSP, sure the games are pretty big, so lioke larger memory cards are fine. But I'm sure that 4 GB's will be fine; lots of room already. I have only 2 gigs, and still have like 500 MB left, and I think I have a fair number of games and media and stuff like that.

I always like to have the best. I figure why buy a 4 gig, when I can spent a little more and get twice as much space. Plus, I figure I can put more than just games on there. Movies, music, emulators, homebrew and whatever else I feel like putting on there. I have well over 3 gigs of DS games as it is. I hated having to switch out files on my 1 gig chip for my R4.

The 8 gig Sandisk microSDHC chip and reader only cost me $55 on Amazon.com too which isn't much.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
woody0 said:
well i myself have never used either the DSTT or the cycloDS but from what iv seen down the local market, the only difference between the R4 and the DSTT is that the DSTT can take a 4GB mem card otherwise its just an R4

That's not quite right, and that perception probably owes a lot to claims by resellers that it was the "Next R4" late last year. One very significant difference between the R4 and the DSTT that's been much lamented by some DSTT owners (and partly addressed by Yasu with YSMenu) is that the stock DSTT menu system doesn't support organising your stuff in folders. That can make navigation a little less convenient if you've got a large card full of small things, as you'd need to scroll right through rather than select a particular folder and then select one item from a small screen full - imagine trying to select Zoo Keeper on even a 2-gig card full of shovelware or a zillion pieces of homebrew, for example. For YSMenu or the R4 menu I normally organise stuff alphabetically into groups of about 8-14 (i.e. one screen full) so I don't need to scroll past the bottom of a screen at all. Petty? Maybe, but the total user experience of anything is made up of a whole lot of little things.

That said, I love my DSTT a lot more than my M3Real...

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fabulo said:
how's the EDGE? (no stock i think)

Then Super One? But still the memory is only 2GB.

Then N5?
What the heck is a Super One? You must be thinking of SuperCard DS 1. I'd have to say that I think that CycloDS and the SCDS1 are the best two cards to get, just pick one.

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it should be said that the N5 card should not even be concidered. It is basicly an R4 with SDHC support. Funniest part about it, it's SDHC support is completely somewhat broken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1