Question for my sister

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by CPhantom, Oct 9, 2008.

Oct 9, 2008

Question for my sister by CPhantom at 2:52 AM (1,421 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. CPhantom
    OP

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    So, my sister wants to know more about clones of the R4, as we know there are a few on DX for quite cheap. However, I don't know much about the clones at all, and need some info on a few of them from DX. I know they use different firmware (Which is not really different at all), and that some apparently have "SDHC support". But, what about game play? Bricking? All that stuff.

I really am more interested in these two carts:

R4 Deluxe
    R4-Advanced SDHC

so yeah. She doesn't really want a card that is pricey. She'll either be going with one of those two, or an Acekard 2. She just was asking me to find out about these cards, so yeah. Any help would be fantastic :]

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    some of the clones offer sdhc support, from what i remember they all run decrypted/hacked versions of the final r4 firmware (1.18) with 1 or 2 other options from ysmenu added in. or something like that.... anyways they aren't worth the money. they have little to no support. you won't see updates to the firmware.

i own 8 flash kits, 2 of which are acekards. get the acekard 2.1 with the new package and black pcb. running AKAIO you won't regret it!

-another world

3. DSFan08

Member DSFan08 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    IF the R4 is so bad, then why the review? I'm sure there's a way to make them work somehow. Especially just to use a code or two.

4. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Again, I'd go for the AceKard 2 they just got a price drop and are selling for like what? 13 bucks now, Definitley pick up one of those.

5. DSFan08

United States
    WEll, I'm screwed if I buy it and they can't use the .dat file that has Pokemon Pearl codes in it.

I can't even get them to work now.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    where did i review the r4? you must have me confused with someone else. i own an r4 (v2) and i love it, i never said it was bad. with no new support you have to patch the roms now, something i doubt her little sister wants to learn how to do. not to mention that doesn't always work. and r4 is great for the first 2400 or so roms released (minus a few) and homebrew. after that it begins to show its age. i'm not even speaking about features, because i personally don't care for extras, i want my flash kits to play games, homebrew and thats it.

i'm not sure what your remarks mean but please don't put words in my mouth.

-another world

7. DSFan08

United States
    I didn't put words in your mouth. I saw a review for the R4 on this site.

8. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Why does everyone say "the R4 is dead" or "R4 sucks now". Although I'm a DSTT user, I'm curious to know: What makes the R4 crap now?

9. DSFan08

United States
    Well? Then how do I make them work for the R4? How do I use them on a game I already have?