[Question] emuNAND questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pikm, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Pikm
    OP

Pikm Thy Lord and Savior

Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    Delaware
    So, I recently downgraded to 9.2 using svchax, and I plan on installing an emuNAND for 10.6. However, I have a few questions;

• Which emuNAND is recommended for my system? (n3dsxl)
    • How stable is an emuNAND compared to a sysNAND? (loading times, bricking, etc.)
    • Do you have to have 2x the space on your SD card as your sysNAND takes up to build an emuNAND?
    • What exactly is transferred to the emuNAND?
    Please answer my questions before sysnand Ver. 10.7 comes out, because if I don't meet the requirements to build an emuNAND, I'm going back to 10.6, and I want svchax.

2. Expliciate

Expliciate GBAtemp Regular

Oct 2, 2015
    Canada
    1. They're all pretty decent, but if you want to go for the best atm go ->A9LH + AuReiNand or Cakes
    2. emuNAND is more safe being played around with since its essentially a clone copy of your sysNAND saved and running through the SD card
    3. sysNAND is in the console's physical NAND, emuNAND is around 2GB at most? The installed files are saved into the SD card.
    4. A copy of the system essentially. emuNAND = emulated NAND

Last edited by Expliciate, Mar 10, 2016
  3. link270

link270 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    To answer your questions properly it would be helpful to know how you plan on booting into that emuNAND. There are a few ways to get into it, but most people prefer to use either menuhax (Will allow you to essentially boot right into the emuNAND, or into the HBL after boot up) or go though the long process of booting up using Arm9LoaderHax. (Requires you to downgrade down below FW 3.0 and extract your OTP.bin and do some other things)

Another quick note, the emuNAND itself is basically a hidden partition of your SD card (It usually takes around 1-2GB of space) the CFW (Custom FirmWare) is the thing you use to access and utilize the emuNAND. A few out there are ReiNand, AuiReiNand, RXTools, and Cakes FW. The one you choose to go with just depends on what you want it to do. After going with A9LH I have been using AuiReiNand as it's very simple and seems to have a good support around it right now (Plus it was one of the first to become more stable with A9LH) I used to use RXTools, and it did everything I needed it too, but It supposedly has some more features, that I never really used as I found there were other apps available to me that worked better at the time.

With MenuHax booting takes a bit more time than going right into the sysNAND, it's pretty stable as it's been the main method for quite a while, and the emuNAND you use is really stable depending on the CFW you choose to go with. As far as bricking goes, as long as you still have access to your sysNAND, proper backups, and an entry point then you can go in and restore your emuNAND to a working backup if it bricks for some reason, so it's pretty good.

With A9LH booting times are a little bit faster, closer to sysNAND, and it gives you the ability to open a program like decrypt9 before anything else loads so you can restore your emuNAND or sysNAND backups and have a much better chance to resolve any potential bricks you could be facing.

For your last question, pretty much everything on your sysNAND can be cloned over to your emuNAND the first time you set it up, then from there you can put whatever you want on it. The rest of the stuff you load into it will be stored onto the sd card portion that isn't hidden.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

4. Pikm
    OP

Pikm Thy Lord and Savior

Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    Delaware
    I don't plan on getting ARM9LoaderHax, so is regular reiNAND okay?