Homebrew Question about the public SDK...

kje123

this title is false
OP
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
So, I currently don't have the money for a Dev unit 3DS. (Nor do I have the time to constitute the steep $2000 price tag, as I'm just a high schooler... :P) If I sign up for the SDK legally, and just use Unity3DS without publishing or releasing anything, can I get in legal trouble? I'm not really planning on doing anything illegal, I just want to play around on Unity3DS and see if I can come up with a semi-competent game for my own volition...

Also, by signing this agreement, I relinquish my involvement in ANY homebrew development, correct?

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I currently don't have the money for a Dev unit 3DS. (Nor do I have the time to constitute the steep $2000 price tag, as I'm just a high schooler... :P) If I sign up for the SDK legally, and just use Unity3DS without publishing or releasing anything, can I get in legal trouble? I'm not really planning on doing anything illegal, I just want to play around on Unity3DS and see if I can come up with a semi-competent game for my own volition...

Also, by signing this agreement, I relinquish my involvement in ANY homebrew development, correct?

You can contribute to homebrew as long as you can prove you didn't use any info or tools from the SDK

Reactions: Pokem

kje123

this title is false
OP
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I'm reading the NDA right now, and I stumbled upon a little thing...

By entering this Agreement on your own behalf you represent and warrant to us that you are the age of legal majority in your country of residence.

Soooo... I'm 16. Can they nail me for this if I lie about my age and say I'm 18?

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Soooo... I'm 16. Can they nail me for this if I lie about my age and say I'm 18?

No. How can they find out? But if you've done something illegal like leaking the SDK, they will track you down. When they find you and see that you signed the NDA underage PLUS you're doing something illegal, your punishment will not be a minor one. Otherwise, they won't bother.

Last edited by Pokem,

kje123

this title is false
OP
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Okay, one last question: If I ever do want to release something that I made in Unity, am I allowed to share the source so that anyone who registered to the NDA can compile it for themselves? I mean, Unity already has 3DS-specific functions built into it, it's really just a matter of getting the build module for Unity itself.

Disco Inferno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If they want to, they can nail you for fraud, which is a felony, just for signing the thing. I would say don't make yourself a target for their attention, but you just did by posting about it, and they've probably got their lawyers all over this place by now.

Last edited by Disco Inferno,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If they want to, they can nail you for fraud, which is a felony, just for signing the thing. I would say don't make yourself a target for their attention, but you just did by posting about it, and they've probably got their lawyers all over this place by now.
shhhh... they aren't here yet. Hide quickly!

kje123

this title is false
OP
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States

Uhm, should I be concerned? Cause I don't really want to go to jail over wanting to work on 3DS games...

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, should I be concerned? Cause I don't really want to go to jail over wanting to work on 3DS games...

Yeah, because if they find out you're underage and signed the contract, it can mean going to jail, and by making this thread, you're already announcing you're underage and they are watching

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
Sooooo, how do I delete my account???? Fuck, I'm starting to freak out.
Don't worry, it's not like Nintendo would ask gbatemp admins your IP or real data.
And if they would I'm sure the staff would be decent enough to not let Nintendo get their hands on any users IP.
Don't worry.
If you're still worried, report your own post with the report reason being: I want to delete this thread. There . gone :)

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just accuse @olec04 of false representation for not informing you he's not a lawyer. It might not get you off the hook, but it'll certainly get him in trouble.

kje123

this title is false
OP
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Not butthurt as this isn't my problem, but messing with a person when they're worried is pretty disgusting and sick.
Also, learn to read posts.

Stop, stop. It's okay, I even chuckled. No need to make this a shitstorm guys.

As for my situation, I don't really have anything that links me to my NDID besides my IP, so I feel like I'll be okay. Besides, wouldn't Ninty rather focus people actually illegally spreading the SDK rather than a harmless 16 year old?

EDIT- I do appreciate the concern tho, David :)

Last edited by kje123,
Reactions: I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not butthurt as this isn't my problem, but messing with a person when they're worried is pretty disgusting and sick.
I can read.
Learn to read? You're kidding right? Your flag don't look like an English speaking one to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr