Question about ROMs and .cia's

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Gorkensnorkel
    OP

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Hey, I asked around in the noob paradise area but didn't seem to have any luck, maybe I am asking this the wrong way or missing something obvious but if anyone could satisfy my curiosity I would be very grateful.

When using the A9LH and Luma setup described in the guide, when you rip a game image/ROM to install it onto the SD card... does it rip it directly to .cia format? I know I am getting ahead of myself since I haven't even hacked my 3ds yet but I am curious about this process. I read somewhere that games get ripped to ROM format and the process for converting ROMs to .cia is... kinda long (to say the least) so I am just trying to wrap myself around this part of using CFW.

If someone could point me toward an accurate/updated tutorial that might explain how I could take one of my game cartridges and install that game onto my 3ds SD card that would be a fantastic start, thanks.

2. rikumax25!

rikumax25! Keyblade Wielder

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    The latest version of both Hourglass9 or Decrypt9WIP support dumping our physical 3DS cartridges directly to .CIA format. No PC needed~!

1. Open up Hourglass9//Decrypt9WIP.
    2. Go to "Gamecart Dumper Options"
    3. Select "Dump Cart to CIA"
    4. Let it finish and done~! It's that easy~ ^_^ Just use your favorite CIA Installer, like FBI, and that's it~!

Source

3. Gorkensnorkel
    OP

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Whew, thank you. I was worried it was going to be a painful process dumping games.

4. SirHaxALot

SirHaxALot Yum Cookies! :3

Nov 22, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Well some time ago it was. You got a encrypted .3ds ROM which you would have to decrypt and then convert to cia. New Versions of Decrypt9 made things a lot easier.

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I already told you you could dump to cia with Decrypt9 in the noob paradise thread -_-

jrm89 and jupitersj like this.