Hardware Question about PS4 purchase.

Playstation 4 Slim or Playstation 4 Pro? By cheap or expensive?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to buy a ps4 for a low price, While i am glad about the price and the system, i have noticed that the one i got is the 2013 model, the new recent ones ps4 slim and ps4 pro both have the wifi with 5ghz ac in it which i would prefer to have over the standard mandatory 2.4ghc b/g/n inferior one. Currently i noticed the price in both are $100 in difference. So the choice i have now is buy ps4 slim or ps4 pro?

Now to be clear, the ps4 slim is just a resign of the original with the 5GHZ wifi and another model controller. Apperently no other noticable differences is known. But ps4 cost 100 more and has enhanced performance and visuals and the 5ghz wifi. While i don't really care about enhanced visiuals since i still using a Vizio HD tv from like 10 years ago, it will only matter if i get the proper monitor to support it. So with graphics out of the decision, if this improved performance will reduce load times and improve framerate in games as well as faster download and installs, perhaps is worth it over the slim. But for this i want to consider some of the peoples opinions before i do anything dumb... again.

To be clear, i may have felt good getting the discounted price but i haven't done anything major with it yet since i had it only for like a week. I just played a few demos and such. So i mean is in perfect condition. What i want to know is what model should i get? I suppose i could keep this one until a price drop on either slim or pro is made but i mean the 5GHZ wifi is best for my current home network for fast downloads, online games and share play (if i ever find someone to do it with) so i just was curious.

If anyone can help me out with it i would appreciate it with comments or just voting. :unsure:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This isn't the right place for this thread. This section is for actually buying and selling and trading products, not asking for advice on them. This should have been posted in the PS4 console section.

As to your question, the PS4 Pro will undoubtedly improve performance on older games, I don't know about load times but framerate should definitely be improved in any game out now that has that issue.

5GHz isn't really worth getting a whole other system for, though. That seems like it'd be an afterthought rather than "Oh I MUST have 5ghz!". Especially when the speed difference probably won't matter since there appears to be a bug in the PS4s TCP/IP stack that causes low download speeds anyways (though it can be somewhat fixed by using a local proxy on your PC, apparently).

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Get some money and buy the "pro" one, since i fear that the compatibility between PS4/PS4Pro will dissappear and devs will go to PS4Pro, but is unlikely to happend.

If you feel that the purchase is absolutely necessary, then go for the "Pro".

Reactions: cvskid

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, i was looking to buy a system so i wasn't sure if this was wrong. So i should report and delete this i suppose right? :(

Also you mention a way to fix this while i'm not intellectual enough as i never used proxy, i think if i least try it myself if i knew how, then i would consider not needing a upgrade this moment.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sell the original ps4 and pay the difference and do some kind of trade ins at a local video game store if you have one to help pay for the ps4 pro. Gamestop will most likely have some type of trade in special where you get extra trade in credit for an original ps4 towards the purchase of a ps4 pro.

There is no reason to consider the ps4 slim at all since the ps4 pro comes out in less than a month.

Last edited by cvskid,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not deleted, the thread will just be moved.

As for how, the link I posted has extremely simple instructions in the first comment as to how to setup a local proxy on your PC.

I see, pc instruction, so i guess i'll need software, i have one of those smart router, i just tigured one of the many unexplored settings maybe would be enough. Just curious, is this "flaw" exist in the otger consoles like ps3 and psvita?:unsure:

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, i'll need to understand this better. Based on the link, it has something to do with the system waiting time between connections or some packet loss... The proxy should reduce waiting times to keep the connection more active. People also mention faster download times in suspend rest mode, but is not important. Could this proxy also help fix the nat type 2 thing? I was told nat 1 is best but also i never found out exactly how to get it. I should seaech tutorial section, hope some answers are here.:unsure:

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well least i know is not all my fault that this problem exist, while i think sony should be more attentive to this situation, i doubt any firmware updates will fix it. Hope someone could write a guid here explaining this and maybe a good approved tested verifiable solution. Well better check out some youtube videos.

But first... SHAME ON YOU SONY! I thought nintendo was bad enough but now i feel sudden appreciation for nintendo more.:blink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2