Question about original Xbox clock caps

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the clock capacitor problem caused by a bad batch of caps or to a design flaw on the motherboard?

I ask because ALL of the leaky clock caps I've encountered have had black casings with grey trim. The clock cap in my Xbox (v1.4) is black with gold trim and has never shown any signs of leaking. I check it every now and then to be sure, but I'd like to know if it's bound to the same fate as the black and grey ones.

Picture below. It's cleaner than it looks. (Big white cable goes to a USB port I added.)

Attachments

• original xbox clock cap.jpg
    original xbox clock cap.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 79

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The story goes is that a capacitor formula was stolen, resulting in a shipment of faulty Nichicon capacitors to major computer hardware manufacturers.
Post automatically merged:

One of those manufacturers, Dell, had to pay $300M in damages to cover the costs of replacing all of the machines that were affected.

• Wow
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if there's a way to find out the manufacturer for the specific caps, because it's usually the same ones that go bad (the clock cap and a few on the power board) and the rest are always fine. I'll have to dig up my magnifying lens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.