jordan_ch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
my english is poor,sorry。
who can tell me,could i play NGC games with usb-loader and harddisk now?
just like wii games use CFG and harddisk。

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Its now possible to play GC games via hard disk however the solution is through Swiss which has just been announced (although not released yet). Swiss has been developed for the gamecube and so its not quite as simple as updating your hard drive and sd card and away you go.

If you want to boot them from hard disk, you will need to purchase an ide-exi adapter which will plug into your wii/gc via the memory card port. Or you can boot the games via sd card (plugged into an sd gecko, the front sd slot on the wii will not work).

So its not quite as simple as everyone was hoping. But it does sound the best solution so far aside from just burning the games and launching them with cmios.

I think I'm gonna go with the sd gecko option myself as they're pretty simple to make and I can handle copying/pasting each game I want to play at a time, its not like I'm gonna be chopping and changing gamecube games as much as I do wii ones.

jordan_ch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Donkey Plonk said:
Its now possible to play GC games via hard disk however the solution is through Swiss which has just been announced (although not released yet). Swiss has been developed for the gamecube and so its not quite as simple as updating your hard drive and sd card and away you go.

If you want to boot them from hard disk, you will need to purchase an ide-exi adapter which will plug into your wii/gc via the memory card port. Or you can boot the games via sd card (plugged into an sd gecko, the front sd slot on the wii will not work).

So its not quite as simple as everyone was hoping. But it does sound the best solution so far aside from just burning the games and launching them with cmios.

I think I'm gonna go with the sd gecko option myself as they're pretty simple to make and I can handle copying/pasting each game I want to play at a time, its not like I'm gonna be chopping and changing gamecube games as much as I do wii ones.

thanks a lot!!! yes, i have kown the method of sd gecko,but i would like to wait for the solution of UL.......hehe ,thanks again!!!!

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
jordan_ch said:
Donkey Plonk said:

thanks a lot!!! yes, i have kown the method of sd gecko,but i would like to wait for the solution of UL.......hehe ,thanks again!!!!
What? UL?
There won't ever be the usb loader with gamecube games you are hoping for. It is impossible, this is pretty much as good as it will ever get as due to technical limitations of the wii, it is impossible to do.
Check out dios mios, this will show you, it was tried, and it went as far as it could, but eventually could go no further.

Sorry, but forget it, it won't ever happen.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Donkey Plonk said:

Eh?

I must admit I first thought it was a joke (I did one last year on that one special day of the year
tongue.gif
). But then I found this link. So now I'm wondering...what the hell is "an ide-exi adapter"? (yes, I'm a total noob when it comes to gamecube hacking) Is it a cable with a gamecube memory card slot on one end and a good ol' IDE outlet on the other?

Aside from that...I noticed that those sd gecko's are pretty cheap (especially compared to the wode). My main concern is if SDHC is compatible and if it can be used to store GC savegames (thus far, the former seems dependant on the homebrew while the latter is impossible). A program like swiss sure raises that interest a bit...

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
Eh?

I must admit I first thought it was a joke (I did one last year on that one special day of the year
tongue.gif
). But then I found this link. So now I'm wondering...what the hell is "an ide-exi adapter"? (yes, I'm a total noob when it comes to gamecube hacking) Is it a cable with a gamecube memory card slot on one end and a good ol' IDE outlet on the other?
Pretty much yeah, I haven't seen one yet but they're available somewhere and from what I understand not to hard to build if you're ok at electronics and yes, it plugs in through the memory card slots, I think only number 2 though but not cetain on this yet.
QUOTEAside from that...I noticed that those sd gecko's are pretty cheap (especially compared to the wode). My main concern is if SDHC is compatible and if it can be used to store GC savegames (thus far, the former seems dependant on the homebrew while the latter is impossible). A program like swiss sure raises that interest a bit...
Yeah, Geckos are cheap as essentially, they aren't bugger all. The gamecube memory card is basically just an sd card with relocated pins, so all a gecko is, is an sd card holder soldered to a hacked apart memory card. And yeah you can load them this way.
And I am pretty certain no, SDHC is not supported as its still a GC essentially so can't use any newer drivers like the wii
For me I think I'm gonna go with this way cause a Gecko is so cheap and I can just store all my GC iso's on my hard drive for my wii games and just transfer the one I want to play to sd card when I need to.

The only problem is, the compatibility is the same as all other GC methods as far as I know, which unfortunately for me still means no Eternal Darkness
frown.gif

I really should pick that game up retail.

Save games I would assume you just save to slot 1 as slot 2 will be in use for the gecko, but I could be wrong and it may possibly save to the sd card, as I said before, thats all essentially a GC memory card is, however I doubt they have a standard file system so it probably wouldn't work, but I could be completely wrong here.

jordan_ch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
cry.gif
cry.gif
....oh,guys,it is so despairing for me to hear these......i really hope to play NGC wrth hd ,and can save games in sd or hd....
cry.gif
cry.gif

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
Donkey Plonk said:
The only problem is, the compatibility is the same as all other GC methods as far as I know, which unfortunately for me still means no Eternal Darkness
frown.gif

Err, that game works with Neogamma now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@Donkey Plonk: thanks for the reply. Seems kinda odd to go for an IDE output (I never even heard of a portable IDE hard disc), but if that's the way the cookie crumbles, then so be it.

chop said:
Donkey Plonk said:
frown.gif

I think Donkey Plonk refers to the fact that the streaming audio thing messes up the music in some games where it tries to access the DVD directly (and I remember hearing that eternal darkness is one of the games that relied on it the most).

Oh, and compatibility with neogamma only goes for (backup) DVD's. It doesn't mean it'll play on D-32 drives.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
Aside from that...I noticed that those sd gecko's are pretty cheap (especially compared to the wode). My main concern is if SDHC is compatible and if it can be used to store GC savegames (thus far, the former seems dependant on the homebrew while the latter is impossible). A program like swiss sure raises that interest a bit...

Not SDHC compatible.

No, you can not store save games to it.

For those looking for a cheap SD Gecko, I am just gonna leave this here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3993

Ordered mine yesterday
biggrin.gif

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
chop said:
Donkey Plonk said:
frown.gif

Oh sweet, its been about 3 years since I tried and last time was just standard gamecube backup back when I had a hardmod, d2pro and I checked that compatibility list yesterday and it said the same, gets stuck at the edgar allen poe bit. But if its changed that is some of the best news I have heard about the scene. Now that I can play Eternal Darkness. I feel like my wii is complete SWEET
biggrin.gif

Kemosabe-TBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
plasma dragon007 said:
Wever said:

Not SDHC compatible.

For those looking for a cheap SD Gecko, I am just gonna leave this here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3993

Ordered mine yesterday
biggrin.gif

Micro SDHC works just fine. I bought an SD gecko a few weeks ago, it even came with an adapter, I've tested about about 20 games with a micro SDHC card and (almost) all ran fine. The only games that didn't run were Fire Emblem and Eternal Darkness, but that was to be expected... Still not a problem since I have the retail version of those games.

@Donkey Plonk, you can get a copy of Eternal Darkness for 10$ or so, and you've waited 3 years :|

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
siliconmessiah said:
Can you play GC-games on Wii without playing them from their original discs, if you have a 4.3?
You can use backup discs yes but see above for usb, its not possible via the traditional method

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donkey Plonk said:
siliconmessiah said:
Can you play GC-games on Wii without playing them from their original discs, if you have a 4.3?
You can use backup discs yes but see above for usb, its not possible via the traditional method

Play GameCube games from backup discs? On a softmodded 4.3?
How do you do then?

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
plasma dragon007 said:
Wever said:

Not SDHC compatible.

Ordered mine yesterday
biggrin.gif

SD Gecko is just a contact adaptor, SDHC compatibility depends only on homebrew coding. SD-Boot 0.4/HBC 1.0.8 are compatible for example (and swiss will be too).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
siliconmessiah said:
Donkey Plonk said:
siliconmessiah said:

Play GameCube games from backup discs? On a softmodded 4.3?
How do you do then?
1. install the latest MIOS cMIOS on your wii.
EDIT: fixed typo
2. install neogamma
3. (if needed) create a compilation iso of up to 3 gamecube iso's with multiisocreator (or even more, if the games are reported to run fine when scrubbed)
4. burn the resulting iso to a DVD (this is prone to some errors...some drives accept any disc you throw at them, others are picky about the brand...and the D-32 drive accepts not a single backup DVD whatsoever)
5. insert the game in your wii and run it through neogamma.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.