Homebrew Question about Homepass

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
If I use the Nintendo World MAC for Homepass, could I end up streetpassing special miis or even some people who work at Nintendo?
Thanks.
Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I looked up "homepass" on GBATemp and most of the Homepass questions were posted here.

The9thBit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
The way homepass relays work is by simply temporarily storing all streetpass data that comes by, and then sending it to all the users in range who haven't passed the relay in the past eight hours.
The streetpass data is stored locally by the relay, so the only way you could streetpass special Miis or Nintendo employees would be if they actually physically came within range of your relay.

Now don't quote me on this part, because it's just my own understanding. It seems like the 3DS simply has a built in list of MAC Addresses that are to be to be used as relays. It doesn't matter what the MAC address is. As long as it's on the list, and you haven't passed any relay with that address in the past eight hours, then it'll upload its streetpass data.

If you haven't already, you should check out this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-have-a-homemade-streetpass-relay.352645/

Straximus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
The way homepass relays work is by simply temporarily storing all streetpass data that comes by, and then sending it to all the users in range who haven't passed the relay in the past eight hours.
The streetpass data is stored locally by the relay, so the only way you could streetpass special Miis or Nintendo employees would be if they actually physically came within range of your relay.

That's not how Homepass works at all, and I'm surprised this has stood uncorrected in the thread for so long.

A Homepass relay allows you to streetpass with anyone who is using the same MAC address and SSID, anywhere in the world. That said, I have no idea what OP's chances of streetpassing a Nintendo employee or special Mii with the Nintendo World MAC are. But to Streetpass with people that are physically there, you'll have to match the SSID. If you try to use 'attwifi', you'll only streetpass with other Homepass users who are also using that MAC and 'attwifi'.

Last edited by Straximus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1