Question about emulators on iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by em2241992, Jan 21, 2011.

Jan 21, 2011
  1. em2241992
    OP

Member em2241992 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know you can get multiple emulators on a jailbroken iPod touch. I have not jailbroken, but am considering it. So, I would like to know if the emulators are able to use cheat codes. Like, can the GBA Emulator use Gameshark/Action replay codes?
    Also, what emulators can the iPod touch 4g use now? I know GBA, GBC, NES are possible, any others?
    Thank you in advance.

2. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    There are also emulators for the original Gameboy, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and MAME.
    I doubt that you can use cheat codes, but I guess that depends on what emulator you will use.
    You might get a little lag with the N64 one, but considering you have a 4g iPod, it shouldn't be that noticeable.
    Also, if you are on 4.2.1, you should wait for Posixninja to release his new version of Greenpois0n before jailbreaking, unless you want to be tethered.

3. em2241992
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info, and yeah I am waiting for an untethered version, but from what I read it is not expected until the next version of iOS is released to the public, which is supposedly in February with the release of the Verizon iPhone.

4. metamaster

Canada
    That goes for Redsn0w, which will use 4.1 SHSH blobs. I imagine you didn't jailbreak before, in which case you will have to use Greenpois0n, which will use a new exploit that doesn't require SHSH blobs. Posixninja didn't actually say when he was releasing, so it might be before 4.3 comes out.

5. em2241992
    OP

United States
    So, if I wanted to do a tethered redsn0w jailbreak right now, I need the SHSH blobs? Or that only applies to when redsn0w actually releases their untethered version?

6. lbbooga

Newcomer lbbooga Member

United States
    You can use cheat, but they are really difficut to set up. Don't use them. Wait for Greenpois0n untethered.

7. metamaster

Canada
    ^ What is "cheat" supposed to be?

A tethered jailbreak does not required SHSH blobs. Redsn0w could untether, but it only works on Macs, it requires 4.2b3 SHSH blobs and it requires the 4.2b3 ispw, which requires a license (unless you pirate it)

If you want an untethered jailbreak, you should wait for Greenpois0n, which will apparently be released in the next 10 to 20 days.