Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
I would like to know the power of the 3ds and N3ds by comparaison.
The simpliest answer you could get me is the console they could emulate.
For example :
3ds could emulate up to SNES
N3ds could emulate up to N64/PSX

I don't know if those are the correct answer, so please just tell me the correct answer.
By the way, something I don't understand is that on e-shop, they say Snes title can be played only on N3ds.
But I can emulate SNES rom on my NDS and 3DS i more powerful than NDS, so 3ds should be able to play SNES, right? I dont understand, so pelase explain me this too if you can.
thanks

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
I don't know if those are the correct answer, so please just tell me the correct answer.
By the way, something I don't understand is that on e-shop, they say Snes title can be played only on N3ds.
But I can emulate SNES rom on my NDS and 3DS i more powerful than NDS, so 3ds should be able to play SNES, right? I dont understand, so pelase explain me this too if you can.
thanks
directsync or something i think

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I would like to know the power of the 3ds and N3ds by comparaison.
The simpliest answer you could get me is the console they could emulate.
For example :
3ds could emulate up to SNES
N3ds could emulate up to N64/PSX

thanks

Emulation isn't something you can measure from just a "power" standpoint. The 3DS is more powerful than the original DS, but that doesn't make it automatically better for emulation. Emulation is basically using software to make up for the hardware differences between the device you're using, and the device you're emulating. The more you have to make up for, so to speak, the more power you need to make a functional emulator. So, while the 3DS has more power, the hardware inside it isn't always better suited for emulating *some* systems, compared to the DS. The point here is that comparing directly to the DS or other systems doesn't help much.

For your eShop comment, o3DS can run SNES emulators to some degree (See blargSNES and various Retroarch cores). Nintendo's official one seems to take a bit more power, hence why it is only available on n3DS. People have tried it on n3DS with o3DS clock speeds, and it runs very poorly.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What do you mean?
Like an Intel processor is able to run emulators easier than amd cpu?
Or like an intel processor will run emulator of console based on intel cpu easier just like amd cpu will run emulator of console based on amd cpu easier?
what do you mean by it depends on system?
like it depends on the system emulating compatibility with emulator?
or like it depends on emulating system proximity with emulated system?

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean?
Like an Intel processor is able to run emulators easier than amd cpu?
Or like an intel processor will run emulator of console based on intel cpu easier just like amd cpu will run emulator of console based on amd cpu easier?
what do you mean by it depends on system?
like it depends on the system emulating compatibility with emulator?
or like it depends on emulating system proximity with emulated system?

It depends on just about everything. It's hard to explain in simple terms, but suffice it to say that just because one device is more "powerful" than another doesn't mean it can emulate everything the weaker one can manage.

But, there's also the difference in development time for emulators. The DS had a pretty strong community for a while, and got a number of emulators that were developed and optimized in that time. The 3DS has a few stand-alone emulators, but they haven't received extensive development (To the best of my knowledge; At the very least, that don't seem to get updated often). Instead, the 3DS has Retroarch, which doesn't receive the same kind of optimizations that you'd see in other emulators.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.