Question about early access games

thekarter104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I kinda have an important question about early access games.
I'm not a PC gamer at all, but I see a game I really like and it's in early access.

My question is: Do you need to buy it again once the full version comes out?
That's what I'm afraid of.

Thanks in advance.

thekarter104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some digital deluxe games give people early access usually like three days.
My Time at Sandrock is in early access since May 2022 and the full game comes out in 2023. It's $25 in its early access stage right now. But my question is, do I need to pay the price again when the full version comes out or don't I have to pay again?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Time at Sandrock is in early access since May 2022 and the full game comes out in 2023. It's $25 in its early access stage right now. But my question is, do I need to pay the price again when the full version comes out or don't I have to pay again?

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?​

“Players in Early Access will have the opportunity to purchase the retail copy of the game for less than those who purchase it on its launch day.”

This is what is says look like you have to buy full game later at lower price, essentially you pay part of it first, then rest later.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For early access games on Steam you only buy them once. You don’t pay again once the full game is out. The bit that was quoted above means people who buy the game in Early Access will pay less than those who buy it at launch, largely because the game is still in development.

Reactions: Chary

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?​

“Players in Early Access will have the opportunity to purchase the retail copy of the game for less than those who purchase it on its launch day.”

This is what is says look like you have to buy full game later at lower price, essentially you pay part of it first, then rest later.
Not at all. It means the price will go up if you buy it later. Right now you buy it at the price it's advertised as.

The thing is: if you buy it now, it's not complete yet. Small or large parts of the game might not be there yet, stability issues might occur more often and nothing is in final form yet.

I've bought my time at sandrock myself last summer (Portia was fucking great) . It had already good early'reviews' (meaning: there's a lot to do already) , but i hold off playing because it's not the sort of game i want to risk having my savegame broken because of an update (though that's not likely).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at all. It means the price will go up if you buy it later. Right now you buy it at the price it's advertised as.

The thing is: if you buy it now, it's not complete yet. Small or large parts of the game might not be there yet, stability issues might occur more often and nothing is in final form yet.

I've bought my time at sandrock myself last summer (Portia was fucking great) . It had already good early'reviews' (meaning: there's a lot to do already) , but i hold off playing because it's not the sort of game i want to risk having my savegame broken because of an update (though that's not likely).

That is what it says on steam from the developer.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That is what it says on steam from the developer.
Sorry... I wasn't talking about their statement(which you indeed quoted correctly) but your conclusion of that statement. I've bought quite a few early access games over the years(on Steam) and never had to pay anything afterward. You get all the updates the developer makes available. The idea is that you are paying to be the beta tester.

In one case i even got an extra game of my choice just because the developer was so happy with having people playing his early access game, but that's an exception (i chatted with him during the beta process). Either way: it's not custom to receive a fee later on.

(then again: some games were abandoned from further updates as well... That's a risk that you'll have to be willing to take)

Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry... I wasn't talking about their statement(which you indeed quoted correctly) but your conclusion of that statement. I've bought quite a few early access games over the years(on Steam) and never had to pay anything afterward. You get all the updates the developer makes available. The idea is that you are paying to be the beta tester.

In one case i even got an extra game of my choice just because the developer was so happy with having people playing his early access game, but that's an exception (i chatted with him during the beta process). Either way: it's not custom to receive a fee later on.

(then again: some games were abandoned from further updates as well... That's a risk that you'll have to be willing to take)

Thanks for the info. I never bought one of these early access game.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: