question about certain extraction tool

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by atenzor, Nov 21, 2014.

1. atenzor
    OP

atenzor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2010
    Canada
    Since recently we have these rom decryptions and whatnot, I was thinking why is there no software/tool where you can load/open the rom file (.3ds) and the program decrypts the rom and allows you to extract all files within the rom to your computer folder? or maybe I missed something and that software already exists somewhere? and if not, why not? why is there no such software? thanks!

2. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
  3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    If you mean "Why is there no tool that does all the work on a PC/laptop/etc. ?" then that's because a 3DS is required to generate the xorpads needed for decryption. Once you have the xorpads for a particular game that you want to decrypt and mess around with, you don't need the 3DS anymore (you will for any other game(s) though).

4. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Programs like that do exist, for example ctrtool and i also made my own tool based on 3dbrew, but they are not useable without the correct keys.

The encryption is mostly documented, but we are missing the keys, only the dev keys are known and the 7.x KeyX.
    We still need the Common KeyX (1.x-6.x encryption) and the correct aes scrambler secret.
    KeyY is known, its the first 16 byte of the NCCH signature.

(KeyX + KeyY) + Secret = decrypt key.

ProjectCTR makerom has the aes scrambler code, but it's not working together with the 7.x keyX, so i guess that's also a dev key.

Of course these keys are already dumped (yellow8 has them...), but they are not public and it's not easy to dump them since they are in a "write-only" register.

5. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States

makerom aes scrambler != retail aes scrambler.