Hacking question about certain extraction tool

atenzor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since recently we have these rom decryptions and whatnot, I was thinking why is there no software/tool where you can load/open the rom file (.3ds) and the program decrypts the rom and allows you to extract all files within the rom to your computer folder? or maybe I missed something and that software already exists somewhere? and if not, why not? why is there no such software? thanks!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you mean "Why is there no tool that does all the work on a PC/laptop/etc. ?" then that's because a 3DS is required to generate the xorpads needed for decryption. Once you have the xorpads for a particular game that you want to decrypt and mess around with, you don't need the 3DS anymore (you will for any other game(s) though).

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Programs like that do exist, for example ctrtool and i also made my own tool based on 3dbrew, but they are not useable without the correct keys.

The encryption is mostly documented, but we are missing the keys, only the dev keys are known and the 7.x KeyX.
We still need the Common KeyX (1.x-6.x encryption) and the correct aes scrambler secret.
KeyY is known, its the first 16 byte of the NCCH signature.

(KeyX + KeyY) + Secret = decrypt key.

ProjectCTR makerom has the aes scrambler code, but it's not working together with the 7.x keyX, so i guess that's also a dev key.

Of course these keys are already dumped (yellow8 has them...), but they are not public and it's not easy to dump them since they are in a "write-only" register.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.