Question about Bricked Wii U's...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Voxel, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Voxel
    OP

Voxel u wot

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Hey, guys! I'm relatively new to this forum, however I want to get stuck in ASAP!

I have a small, yet important, question regarding bricked Wii U's. I heard from a Fail0verflow talk that
    Wii U's, if bricked, can read an SD card image to be able to get back into the Wii U and fix the source of the brick. Is this true; how do you do it; and will it be useful for future use? Thx, guys!

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's true.
    it's installed by using the recover menu, which is triggered by pressing eject+power button at boot (source WiiU hacking discussion thread)

The recovery file is in an unknown format.
    there's one example in SDK, but it's signed for a dev unit only.
    so, unless someone find this file format and can encrypt/sign it properly or bypass signature check for retail units, then it's not useful.

Or maybe you are a registered official dev for your studio and bricked a dev unit? in that case the SDK will help you (and Nintendo too).

wj44 likes this.
  3. Voxel
    OP

Voxel u wot

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I am going to register to become an official dev in a couple of years time! So, yeah, like you say, it would be useful for me.